PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Solving this. Breaking Big Banger in four hours of hitting.

Daycrawler
09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey.
I have recently switched to the ALU Power for my mains at 59 lbs. and Timo 110, the 18 gauge, for my crosses at the same tension. The only problem is that im breaking my mains within four hours of hitting. Is it because the string is meant to be strung at a lower tension? I just wanted to see if their was any logical reasons besides that I'm a pretty decent player. If you need anymore information just ask.
Thanks...

iHabNoTeef
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
The Timo is an extremely thin string and it will saw through the Alu really easily especially if you hit with a lot of topspin.

Nanshiki
09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
There's no reason to use a thin-gauge poly in the crosses. It won't improve performance at all.

Get a multifilament... a lot of them are cheaper than Luxilon products anyway.

bladepdb
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
The Timo is an extremely thin string and it will saw through the Alu really easily especially if you hit with a lot of topspin.

Except typically it's the thicker/stiffer string that saws into the thinner/softer string. E.g. I had BBO 16 mains and PSGO 17 crosses, the PSGO 17 was the string that was being sawed into.

Oh and I also had NXT 17 mains and ALU Power Rough crosses as an experimental setup, the NXT was destroyed in two weeks by the ALU (and I'm not a constant hard hitter).

Nanshiki
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
That's why you use the durable string on the mains.

J011yroger
09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Ummm, what were you using before and how long did that last you, and how long do you get out of a full set of ALU?

How many stringjobs have you gone through like this?

Enough to establish it as a pattern and not an anomoly?

J

Carlito
09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
They way I understand it, the thinner the cross srting, the better it will saw through the main. A thinner string is like a sharper knife.

Daycrawler
09-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Ummm, what were you using before and how long did that last you, and how long do you get out of a full set of ALU?

How many stringjobs have you gone through like this?

Enough to establish it as a pattern and not an anomoly?

J
I have four rackets but I'm stringing at least two a week, right now Im breaking strings everyday so im stringing like four a week or more. So I know it's not an anomaly. I bought some strings from a different store to see if it might just be old strings although the time from when I bought the strings and when I strung them was like about four days so I dont think that's a factor. I was stringing babolat hurricane tour at 61 for mains and Xcel Premium in crosses at 61 as well and that would last me about eight to ten hours of hitting. So two or three days depending on the week. I have NCode 95, 16 x 18. The old red ones that federer used to use before the K-Factors came out. Can anyone confirm the theory that the thinner strings cut into the other strings? That doesn't make sense to me. I am using this blend because of the way that TiMo 110 seems to cut through the ball. I also use the blend of Big Banger Power ALU for mains and The rough in the mains at 59lbs. Which works well but I prefer the TiMo.

2ndserveace
09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I have four rackets but I'm stringing at least two a week, right now Im breaking strings everyday so im stringing like four a week or more. So I know it's not an anomaly. I bought some strings from a different store to see if it might just be old strings although the time from when I bought the strings and when I strung them was like about four days so I dont think that's a factor. I was stringing babolat hurricane tour at 61 for mains and Xcel Premium in crosses at 61 as well and that would last me about eight to ten hours of hitting. So two or three days depending on the week. I have NCode 95, 16 x 18. The old red ones that federer used to use before the K-Factors came out. Can anyone confirm the theory that the thinner strings cut into the other strings? That doesn't make sense to me. I am using this blend because of the way that TiMo 110 seems to cut through the ball. I also use the blend of Big Banger Power ALU for mains and The rough in the mains at 59lbs. Which works well but I prefer the TiMo.
Just wondering, why do you like TiMo? LIke what are the advantages of using it?

2ndserveace
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
And as said above the thin string will act like a knife. The thinner the knife, the easier it cuts through an object. So, a thin string will saw through the other string faster than a thicker string.

Pusher
09-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Logically it makes sense. A thinner X string puts more pressure on a smaller section of the main string-thus it eats thru the main quicker. If you feel the thinner string cuts thru the ball better then the same logic would apply to the main strings.

tennisfreak15347
09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
just use a thicker cross, it wont affect your play too much as your racquet takes the the most effects of the mains.