Can anyone rate the strings in terms of:

Power
Spin
Tension holding
Feel

Thanks guys.

bladepdb
09-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Depends on what type of feel you prefer from your stringbed.

Blue Gear is a fairly stiff poly. It's a great string for spin and it has better-than-average tension retention, but it does lose its texture for solid hitters after which it plays like a good poly (Luxilon might be a stretch, but it comes close). With MGP MP and 18 x 20, this might be a pretty tight/stiff setup. If you don't like stiff, tight strings, then you will want to avoid this.

SPPP is one of the best at holding tension, and if my understanding is correct, it is a third generation poly and offers a softer feel than the Luxilon line (which of course is the standard for polys). As far as spin goes, this does not come close to Bluer Gear or other textured strings...I would maybe compare it to Lux BB Original for its spin.

Power - both are low-powered, SPPP a little softer so it has slightly more power than BG but not significantly so.

Spin is covered - BG has probably as much spin as (if not more) than textured Lux strings, whereas SPPP is average for spins in a poly.

Tension retention: BG is average, SPPP one of the best polys out there for tension retention.

Feel - you'll get a lot more out of SPPP since it's a softer poly. BG is stiff and tight so not a lot of feel and touch at the net.

tennisfever8181
09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
So is SPPP very similar to Big Ace?

bladepdb
09-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah SPPP and BA are probably the top two polys out there for people looking to get a softer stringbed and feel while using a poly. By that of course it's for people who know BA and SPPP :)

bluescreen
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
i found sppp very similar to big ace, with sppp having a little more power. i think big ace lasts a little longer too before it goes dead. some say big ace is more comfortable, but i found them about equal.

i personally dont like blue gear. i think its too stiff and has no feel. its very low powered, even for a poly. my vote goes to sppp.

Gugafan
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Depends on what type of feel you prefer from your stringbed.

Blue Gear is a fairly stiff poly. It's a great string for spin and it has better-than-average tension retention, but it does lose its texture for solid hitters after which it plays like a good poly (Luxilon might be a stretch, but it comes close). With MGP MP and 18 x 20, this might be a pretty tight/stiff setup. If you don't like stiff, tight strings, then you will want to avoid this.

SPPP is one of the best at holding tension, and if my understanding is correct, it is a third generation poly and offers a softer feel than the Luxilon line (which of course is the standard for polys). As far as spin goes, this does not come close to Bluer Gear or other textured strings...I would maybe compare it to Lux BB Original for its spin.

Power - both are low-powered, SPPP a little softer so it has slightly more power than BG but not significantly so.

Spin is covered - BG has probably as much spin as (if not more) than textured Lux strings, whereas SPPP is average for spins in a poly.

Tension retention: BG is average, SPPP one of the best polys out there for tension retention.

Feel - you'll get a lot more out of SPPP since it's a softer poly. BG is stiff and tight so not a lot of feel and touch at the net.

Great Feedback thanks....I was just curious what you meant about both strings being "low on power". I had a brief hit with my mates MG EXTREME with a full set of Signum pro and I could certainly hit some big forehands.

I think I will be going for SPPP..what tension do you recommend in my MGP MP if I want to hit the cover off the ball??. (Gulbis like lol).