PDA

View Full Version : please help with string breaking problem!!

okdude1992
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
hey guys ive been breaking luxilon big banger alu power in a week ~ 8 hours of play. I use the 16g and string at 57 in my Head Microgel Prestige pro. I really cannot afford to break strings this fast. what will last longer besides kevlar? All the restringing is burning through my funds. Please help!

meowmix
09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
First, do you have a stringer? If you don't, get one. That'll cut your stringing costs in half.

Two, have you considered switching to a more cost friendly string (ex Big Ace or something along those lines)? Those reputedly give about the same feel/power/spin as the lux.

Stan
09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Try the Unique Big Hitter 16ga. The most durable poly string available. Plays similar to ALU too.

Steve Huff
09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Or, Luxilon 5-Star. It's a 15L and it lasts a long time too.

Carlito
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
If you are breaking the BB cleanly in the mains, try a hybrid. A softer cross string won't cut throught the main as quickly.

okdude1992
09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
sorry to bring back this thread but i have a few more questions...

1. i am looking into getting a stringer. do you guys have any reccomendations? ( around $500 would be nice)
2. I have tried big ace 16g and while being alot cheaper and feeling pretty sweet it broke just as fast...maybe this idea of saving money instead of increasing durability would work if and when i get a stringer...?
3. ive used hybrids before ad I don't want too soft a cross string or that will break first... are there any decently long lasting synthetic gut strings or multis that wont get shredded by a poly?

thanks for all the help guys

okdude1992
09-15-2008, 10:28 PM
and btw i just ordered some luxilon original to see how that compares... ill look into the big hitter and 5 star next and hopefully get more suggestions as well

baek57
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
if you get your own stringer you can get something like gosen polylon at $30 a reel. that way you can afford to break strings.

Pusher
09-16-2008, 04:11 AM
sorry to bring back this thread but i have a few more questions...

1. i am looking into getting a stringer. do you guys have any reccomendations? ( around $500 would be nice)
2. I have tried big ace 16g and while being alot cheaper and feeling pretty sweet it broke just as fast...maybe this idea of saving money instead of increasing durability would work if and when i get a stringer...?
3. ive used hybrids before ad I don't want too soft a cross string or that will break first... are there any decently long lasting synthetic gut strings or multis that wont get shredded by a poly?

thanks for all the help guys

A previous poster answered your question. A syngut cross will extend the life of your stringjob. I would use a 15ga syngut cross like PSGD. The main will break first.

McLovin
09-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Honestly, 8 hours of play is probably all you want out of a poly. Assuming a 3 set match goes 2 hours, that's 12 sets of tennis, and from what I've read on this site, most polys are dead by then anyway. I'd rather break a string than sit there trying to decide if I should cut it out & restring.

I would say your best bet would be to buy your own machine & string yourself. The Gamma 602 FC is a really nice starter model:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-602FC.html

DarthCow
09-17-2008, 04:30 AM
String savers

okdude1992
09-17-2008, 06:29 PM
A previous poster answered your question. A syngut cross will extend the life of your stringjob. I would use a 15ga syngut cross like PSGD. The main will break first.

sorry but what does PSGD stand for?:oops:

okdude1992
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Honestly, 8 hours of play is probably all you want out of a poly. Assuming a 3 set match goes 2 hours, that's 12 sets of tennis, and from what I've read on this site, most polys are dead by then anyway. I'd rather break a string than sit there trying to decide if I should cut it out & restring.

I would say your best bet would be to buy your own machine & string yourself. The Gamma 602 FC is a really nice starter model:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-602FC.html

thanks! the price range is right so im thinking about getting this stringer :)

tennisfreak15347
09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
sorry but what does PSGD stand for?:oops:

PSGD stands for Prince Synthetic gut with Duraflex. getting a stringer definitely cuts string costs in half, but if youre only stringing for yourself, I recommend a $200 stringing machine, such as the Silent Partner Swing. It's one of the best dropweights without fixed clamps, and it gets the job done. However, I would also try to use babolat string savers, and see how that turns out. it would increase string durability by atleast 30%

persondudething
09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks! the price range is right so im thinking about getting this stringer :)

you can get a much better dropweight for less than that. mutual power machines are solid and are less than $400. alpha makes a good dropweight in that range but for a little less. and theres always eagnas if you want to...

protege
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
String savers

+1 to this suggestion.

I like this way of thinking :)

2nd_Serve
09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't think there's any poly that mroe durable than Luxilon. Of course, you could take the advice here, but IMO, Luxilon is the most durable poly out there.

Daycrawler
09-19-2008, 04:09 PM
hey guys ive been breaking luxilon big banger alu power in a week ~ 8 hours of play. I use the 16g and string at 57 in my Head Microgel Prestige pro. I really cannot afford to break strings this fast. what will last longer besides kevlar? All the restringing is burning through my funds. Please help!
Thats normal actually. I was breaking big banger in three hours of hitting and now I just switched to a thicker gauge and it lasts longer. Try Prince Pro-Blend, it lasts longer and is much much cheaper than Luxilon. Also, get your own stringer cause your paying upwards of 30 dollars to have someone string that for you which is a waste. Try eagnas stringers, thats what I have and it's pretty good. Also, I personally like Ashway Kevlar if your looking at Kevlar.

region2champion
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Get Big Ace, it's a cheaper string, holds tension better, and I actually like it more than all of luxilons

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
umm wheres j011y???? or is this his brother???