PDA

View Full Version : Hexagonal String

BigSkyChamp
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Has anybody tried any hexagonal string and found that its attributes are either a. affordable and b. functional?

Ive just ordered some MSV co-focus HEX 16L ($80 a reel) due to its HIGH ratings on stringforum.net ... http://www.stringforum.net/strings.php?sdnr=2860&count=1 and plan on putting it in my Prince SPB to control some of that extra power, should be delightful.

Has anybody else had any experiences with this type of string or something like it??

Steve Huff
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
One of the very good players I string for uses Signum Hextreme. He really likes it.

jazar
09-11-2008, 10:43 PM
i've used SPPPH quite a number of times, used to use it in my rackets as the main string in a hybrid. cant complain about it as its plays really nicely. has a nice bite to the ball, but isnt too stiff.

another hexagonal string is pacific powerhex. this is a multi, so its a lot softer and more powerful

PROTENNIS63
09-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Blue Gear is the only hex string I used that actually backs up its claim. Hextreme is second it also gives good spin. Focus Hex is just like a regular poly.

TenniseaWilliams
09-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Objective testing doesn't show the spin effects on shaped or textured string that people report. The shaped versions do seem to play stiffer than the rounder normal versions.

The MSV copoly's (round or hex) are very nice, if a bit soft. I don't drop tension for them like I do for most of the other poly/copoly's.

2ndserveace
09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I found that MSV Focus Hex added alot of spin to my ball.

Lloyd Barcenilla
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I've only played with two hex strings in my time, that is blue gear and MSV.

I find that Blue gear provides so much more spin than MSV, and its viably noticeable. But that's not too knock MSV, its a very solid string with very good spin potential as well, but i don't really think the minimum hexagon shape increases the spin hugely, i think it's just the strings properties (material) that give it good spin.

2ndserveace
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I've only played with two hex strings in my time, that is blue gear and MSV.

I find that Blue gear provides so much more spin than MSV, and its viably noticeable. But that's not too knock MSV, its a very solid string with very good spin potential as well, but i don't really think the minimum hexagon shape increases the spin hugely, i think it's just the strings properties (material) that give it good spin.
Which string did you like better overall?

Lloyd Barcenilla
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Which string did you like better overall?

Thats a tough one.
I've always had problems with Blue gear and tension. I've loved it first time out, havent hit with anything better. Then a day or two later, i hate it.
I like the MSV hex, and it stays playable for a very long time. But the Blue gear's initial performance beats it in my opinion.
Nobody else seems to have the trouble i do with blue gear, so tonight i strung up another set.