PDA

View Full Version : need more power from microgel prestige MP

mixtery
09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I use the microgel prestige MP 18x20 currently with big ace mains at 57lbs and maxim touch crosses at 59. I love the control it gives on groundies and serves but I am lacking a bit of power. I really have to take a hard full cut at the ball to generate pace which I kind of like but not for every shot. I think I would like a little more power and ball grip/softness to the string. I just feel that I can't get that "feel" from poly on this racquet. I think my stringer would recommend technifibre, but is there something with more feel and power than that? Should I just drop tension a few lbs? Recommendations appreciated!

Gugafan
09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I have just purchased a MG Prestige MP and had a similar problem. Though I have only had a chance to hit with the factory strings.

The string pattern is fairly dense and tight on an 18x20, so if your looking for more power I would recommend stringing a good poly (SPPP) at about 51-54 lbs. This should erradicate the 'board' like feeling you get when stringing with higher tensions. In addition, SPPP is considered one of the softer feeling polys out there at the moment.

I replaced the Hydrosorb grip with a thicker wilson replacement and a tournagrip, which made the stick feel more 'whippy' due to the weight shift towards the handle. This alone allowed me to hit with abit more spin and bite on my groundstrokes.

You may find my thread in the racquets section useful.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=220858

jazar
09-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I use the microgel prestige MP 18x20 currently with big ace mains at 57lbs and maxim touch crosses at 59.

i strung up that hybrid in my i.prestige at 54 and it played really well

Seacoast Stringer
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Before switching strings it might be worth trying a drop to 54/57 lbs for one string job to see if you get the pop needed. With a dense string pattern, have you tried a full multi or a poly/gut hybrid? Also, a little bit of lead at 12 might help.

ATIRagePro
09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I would say the first thing you should try doing is lowering the tension a few lbs. If that doesn't work try looking into different polys. I personally like Unique BH which gave me the extra "umph"

wumanchu23
09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I just want to say i have this racket, and have the same problem. I string it with cyberflash mains at 56 and random synthetics at 56. Definitely more power than a fully poly job at 57. The local tennis shop guy recommended the MG Prestige Pro, but I thought that one lacked a little control compared to this one.

tnkGod4tns
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
natural gut, if too expensive go with a good multi string and play around with the tension, start at mid tension and work your way down till u get the right amount of control and power.

eric892
09-14-2008, 08:14 AM
I have it strung at 55lbs with x-cel premium and had no problem generating power with this racquet. Should try lowering down your tension.

2ndserveace
09-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Just swing reaaally hard.