PDA

View Full Version : Something with more feel that Gosen micro

XxduckxX
09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Can someone recommend me a string that has more feel (and spin) than gosen micro?? Ive been using it for a while now and it's slowly feeling worse and worse. I restring it quite often so that is not the problem (2-3 times a month). Has anyone had this problem??

The initial "good" feel of this string has died in my mind

ClayisFun
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
what do you mean by "feel?" If you mean ball pocketing, try a multi. Good ones are the prince synthetic gut multi, yonex 850 pro (has excellent spin for a multi in my opinion), and gosen's ak speed string. All are under $10.

Valjean
09-12-2008, 09:22 AM
If what you want is just a lateral substitution, you should try Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut.

rich s
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Can someone recommend me a string that has more feel (and spin) than gosen micro?? Ive been using it for a while now and it's slowly feeling worse and worse. I restring it quite often so that is not the problem (2-3 times a month). Has anyone had this problem??

Are you using the $39 a reel generic stuff or the reel/packaged string that has the printing on it?

If you are using the generic, that might be the problem.......it is supposed to be identical to the printed micro but in my experience it is not.

XxduckxX
09-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Im using the generic stuff at first it felt good if i restring it often now it just feels dead after like the first 2 balls of hitting... I sorta feel that BB alu had more feel than this.

In other words its like playing with a plant of wood

rich s
09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Im using the generic stuff ............................In other words its like playing with a plant of wood

My opinion is that's the problem. I used to string with Generic but it felt different when I handled it while stringring and played different than the non-generic with the printing on it.

I don't use it anymore for that reason and won't put it in other's racquets either.

It seems like a bargain based on the price, but doesn't play like a bargain.

Il Mostro
09-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Looking at the difference in price, there has got to be a bigger difference than just whether there is printing on the string or not. Thanks for the heads-up guys.

XxduckxX
09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
so the generic one is crap compared to the normal one?

tennisfreak15347
09-13-2008, 07:11 PM
so the generic one is crap compared to the normal one?

I have a reel of the generic gosen, and my senses tell me that it's different from the normal one.
*edit* there was already a giantic thread on this, and this topic was hammered many times, and someone pointed out 10 links containing threads regarding gosen sheep vs gosen generic. In conclusion, some people say it's the same as they've tried both, and some notice as light difference. Whether there is a difference or not, it would only be trivial.

Don S
09-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Strange, I just bought a reel of Gosen Micro 17 from TW two weeks ago. Paid $29.99. It has the Gosen printing on the string and it feels the same and performs the way it always has for me.

baek57
09-14-2008, 10:37 AM
synthetics in general have no feel.

bluescreen
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
synthetics in general have no feel.

they certainly have more feel than poly. i think gosen og sheep micro is a great synthetic and offers decent feel.

tennisfreak15347
09-14-2008, 11:26 AM

agreed. I just strung a full set of the Gosen OG micro reel, and it was great the first day. now, I'm itching to cut it out, only a day later.

XxduckxX
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
so this just means i need to restring it every hitting session

rich s
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM
so this just means i need to restring it every hitting session

Or get rid of the Generic cr@p and get some with the printing on it.

XxduckxX
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
this is generic crap but it has printing on it tho

Il Mostro
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM

Then, again, the printing alone cannot be the reason for the disparity in price. Just does not make any sense for it to be less than half the price (per foot) if that is the only difference.

tennisfreak15347
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Then, again, the printing alone cannot be the reason for the disparity in price. Just does not make any sense for it to be less than half the price (per foot) if that is the only difference.

then maybe everyone who bought generic gosen reels got ripped off by TW then o_O. I cant stand using this generic gosen reel for more than two days. If I need to re-string every two days, I'm not really saving much money...

Il Mostro
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
then maybe everyone who bought generic gosen reels got ripped off by TW then o_O. I cant stand using this generic gosen reel for more than two days. If I need to re-string every two days, I'm not really saving much money...

But look on the sunny side, you are honing and perfecting your stringing skills. Seriously, that sucks man. As an aside, I just did a grommet, grip and string job on an old Wilson Ultra FPK 95 and used an el-cheapo Head synthetic gut (the really cheap stuff in the clear bag marked "bulk") -- I am very surprised at how nice this it to hit with. I've only used it once, but a very pleasant surprise. Plenty of pop and comfort. Who would have thunk it?

rich s
09-17-2008, 08:37 AM

If it has printing on it, it is not the generic. The 660ft cheap reel with no printing on the string is the Generic. The 330ft reel with printing is the regualar stuff.

If you don't like Gosen micro you proabably won't like other syn guts like Prince Original Syn Gut, Prince Syn Gut Duraflex, Gamma Syn Gut, etc.......

If you want less board-like feel you want a multi like: Wilson Sensation, TF X-One Biphase, TF NRG2, Yonex Tour Super, etc

rich s
09-17-2008, 08:42 AM

It may be advertised as the same but if you have handled both of them when you string them and played with both, there is clearly a difference.

My guess is that they are selling their string that doesn't meet the quality standards as a Generic at a reduced price so as to make some money off of it rather than scrapping/trashing it and making nothing or potentially losing money.

XxduckxX
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I think so too cuz mine had printing on it but it was 30 bucks and a 660' reel

tennisfreak15347
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
maybe we shouldnt have clutched onto our wallets so hard; at $1.50 USD a stringjob, it was too much to ask for :[. I have no use for my synthetic gut now.

RFRF
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
technifibre nrg 18 is your answer