PDA

View Full Version : How long does poly last before it becomes dead?

lidation
09-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I have been using synthetic guts all along and I break them after about 10 hours of playing. I have good racquet speeds and people suggest me to try poly.

I read that poly strings usually go dead after a short time. After that, the poly is the worst string in the world and you'd better cut it out and restring.

So I am wondering just how long does it take for a poly string to go dead? More specifically, I am interested in Luxilon Big Banger ACE 18.

To give you an idea of the string-breaking level of me. I just broke a set of Gamma Professional live wire 16G (63lb) in about 8 - 10 hours of playing.

Thank you for giving advice for a poly noob. :)

Satch
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
unless U are some really hard hitter it should last for month's...

smirker
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
I have been using synthetic guts all along and I break them after about 10 hours of playing. I have good racquet speeds and people suggest me to try poly.

I read that poly strings usually go dead after a short time. After that, the poly is the worst string in the world and you'd better cut it out and restring.

So I am wondering just how long does it take for a poly string to go dead? More specifically, I am interested in Luxilon Big Banger ACE 18.

To give you an idea of the string-breaking level of me. I just broke a set of Gamma Professional live wire 16G (63lb) in about 8 - 10 hours of playing.

Thank you for giving advice for a poly noob. :)

It depends. Are you asking how long it will take to break it or how long it will remain playable for. The latter will probably occur before the former.

Lux strings (or Poly in general come to think of it) are not renowned for maintaining tension and therefore their playability. They play great for a few hours then go dead. If you search "softest polyester" you should find a link to a list of poly's and their relative softness. Also on this list is the figure for tension maintenace so you can pick and choose according to that.

Some of the best for retaining tension (in comparison to other poly's) are SPPP, Topspin strings, Big Ace and the Weisscannon range of poly's. That said the BB Ace 18 should be one of the better Lux strings for playability as this is what it was designed for.

Hope this helps

SlapShot
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
unless U are some really hard hitter it should last for month's...

Not quite. I don't pop poly in my current setup (18x20 string pattern), but I have popped poly in a 16x19 after 15 hours or so, and I'm not the heaviest hitter I know.

Poly has benefits, and it has negatives. It creates great spin and is durable (as far as not breaking), but it can be hard on the arm, and does lose tension over time.

TennisProdigy
09-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I use lux in the mains and it's true it hits really well for the first few hours, you get a lot of extra spin. As it becomes dead, the only thing I notice is that you get less spin probably b/c the strings don't recoil back as well as in a fresh string job.

Even when they become dead, I can still hit with them b/c by then, the gut is really frayed and provides more spin, even though the poly does not.

Satch
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Not quite. I don't pop poly in my current setup (18x20 string pattern), but I have popped poly in a 16x19 after 15 hours or so, and I'm not the heaviest hitter I know.

Poly has benefits, and it has negatives. It creates great spin and is durable (as far as not breaking), but it can be hard on the arm, and does lose tension over time.

i guess it depends... i know some people that use SG for 1 year or more before they change but they play like 1 time a week, and they are good 4.0...

i never tried poly but if they can play with SG so long poly should be even better...

BTW off, Did you tried Luxilon TIMO 17 or 18, is it good to string the whole racquet (16x18 )?

tlm
09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Poly plays well for 3-8 hours max. after that it sucks.

sw2ny888
09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Polys feel dead when they start to move around. You lose both power and control when it happens. For me, it takes 6 hours or less of hard practice hitting and about 8-10 hours of game play. I have hard strokes and heavy spin.

Richie Rich
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM
20 hours max. you notice a difference after 10 hours and at 20 the string has lost it's resiliency. just feels dead.

do yourself a favor and cut out poly after 20 hours tops.

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 03:39 PM
20 hours max. you notice a difference after 10 hours and at 20 the string has lost it's resiliency. just feels dead.

do yourself a favor and cut out poly after 20 hours tops.

agreed. anything dead, especially harsh strings like poly and kelvar, will make your tendons cry for mercy due to lost resiliency. all the shock will go to your arm. the rule of thumb is to re-string after you ask yourself "why do you suck so bad?" and there is a drop-off in spin, and/or when your arm starts hurting when it normally doesnt. Poly's have a characteristic of holding tension exeptionally well after the initial tension loss, then it starts to lose tension again after it dies, thus, the strings will start moving.