PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Hexagonal Poly String Substitution

number.432
09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I would like to hear what are the closest synthetic gut or (multifilament string) that would play most similar to hexagonal polyester strings. I like how those poly string bit into the ball but my shoulder is starting to act up. So looking for alternative. Thanks.

PROTENNIS63
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
there is no such thing. Natural Gut and those 'hex shaped' polys are the only strings that will aid in spin potential. Have you tried hybrids?

number.432
09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
"there is no such thing. Natural Gut and those 'hex shaped' polys are the only strings that will aid in spin potential. Have you tried hybrids?"

I did try hybrid of BA/ Titan as well as BA/ MT. It helped slightly. Since I have 4 identical frames I plan to leave those two as it is. What I would like to hear is what should I string my other frames with. I'm looking for good pocketing, crisp string with not too much power. Is there such a thing?

Is there any other poly that is softer than Big Ace but resembles similar playing characteristics?

Oh I also tried reverse the above hybrid MT/ BA but did not like it as much as poly main.

Would really appreciate any comments anyone can offer.

Wondertoy
09-23-2008, 01:35 PM
"there is no such thing. Natural Gut and those 'hex shaped' polys are the only strings that will aid in spin potential.

Is there any other poly that is softer than Big Ace but resembles similar playing characteristics?

Would really appreciate any comments anyone can offer.

You really should try the new PolyStar Turbo 1.25mm. It's like PolyStar Energy but with a 5 star hexagonal surface to enhance bite and spin on the ball. It is also a very comfortable poly. duso has played with it and liked it, search under his postings.

PROTENNIS63
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
You really should try the new PolyStar Turbo 1.25mm. It's like PolyStar Energy but with a 5 star hexagonal surface to enhance bite and spin on the ball. It is also a very comfortable poly. duso has played with it and liked it, search under his postings.

I never tried Turbo but I just want to say that if this Turbo is really 5 star shaped or whatever, then it will be stiffer than the Energy which is round.

Back to the OP^^^: Big Ace is really as soft of a poly you will get. I can't think of anything that is softer and will produce good amount of spin. You can try Blue Gear mains and Syn. Gut or Maxim Touch crosses.

Polyfibre TCS is soft as well but loses tension in 2 hours so I don't think you want to try that.

Zach
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Cyberblue? Or perhaps PolyPolar?

number.432
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I never tried Turbo but I just want to say that if this Turbo is really 5 star shaped or whatever, then it will be stiffer than the Energy which is round.

Back to the OP^^^: Big Ace is really as soft of a poly you will get. I can't think of anything that is softer and will produce good amount of spin. You can try Blue Gear mains and Syn. Gut or Maxim Touch crosses.

Polyfibre TCS is soft as well but loses tension in 2 hours so I don't think you want to try that.

I did try Blue Gear main with syn. gut cross and really like how it played but not the stiffness. I just ordered some more string to compare (this includes poly polar, gosen polylon sp, wilson reaction, prince topspin, pro supex poly power soft as well as some premier ace) . I somehow feel like I almost found the perfect combo for my game or may be not?!? :-|

Any other ideas of anything else I should try are welcome? What I'm asking again is I'm looking crisp string (doesn't have to be polyester but resemble polyester playing characteristic) that is not as stiff as poly have good ball pocketing. Thank you guys.

number.432
09-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Wondertoy where can I buy Polystar turbo, polystar energy? Do you have some you wanna trade or sell? Drop me an email if you do. 'number.432@gmail.com'. Thanks.

Stannie
09-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Maybe the spin syn guts provided by wilson, gosen, and prince? Many customers tend to like it and continue to get it (even though it's a pain to string =P) because they loved the spin potential of it, and the cheap cost.