PDA

View Full Version : what strings to carry for home stringing businesses?

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
so far I have a gosen OG micro reel in amber color, PRC and SPPP for myself, and a bunch of useless syn. gut. what should I carry with me considering that I would string for my tennis clinic and high school?

2ndserveace
09-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Most stringers have PSGD.

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 12:57 PM
i dont think PSGD is too popular where I live.

Infl8edEg0
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I would personally say buy Pro Supex strings because they are cheaper than most other brands, and also play well. Most people I know have switched to Pro Supex after trying it. I would get reels of:

Blue Gear-Poly (Maybe) $100 for 660'
Big Ace-Poly $80 for 660'
Titan/Spiral Flex-both synguts $45 for 660'
Maxim Touch-multi $90 for 660'

If not, try some Gosen string because they are also cheap with decent performance

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 01:13 PM
interesting on the Maxim Touch multi. I'm considering it since it's only about 5 dollars a stringjob in the reel. I'll have to buy a few sets and test this string out. can anyone comment on the string?

Infl8edEg0
09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
interesting on the Maxim Touch multi. I'm considering it since it's only about 5 dollars a stringjob in the reel. I'll have to buy a few sets and test this string out. can anyone comment on the string?

I would personally say that compared to other multi's, it's more durable and is definitely a little stiffer. But as a result, it has better control imo and doesn't move as much as other multi's. And it's also very comfortable. In my list, it's probably my #2 multi, under Isospeed Control. idk, I just like the Isospeed better.

mozzer
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Played with my big ace/maxim touch hybrid today. Its great. The maxim makes it nice and soft, good power too. The big ace also gives great spin and control. If anything i would string it higher than 59/57 in my pure drive.

maui boy
09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
GUT
Babolat VS Team 17 Natural Gut

MULTI
Isospeed Professional 17
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 Nylon / Polyurethane
Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 18 Nylon / Polyurethane
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 Nylon / Polyurethane
Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 Nylon / Polyurethane

18g SYNTHETIC
Head Synthetic Gut PPS 18 Nylon
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 18 Nylon
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut 18 Nylon
Prince Synthetic Gut 18 w/Duraflex Nylon

17g SYNTHETIC
Klip Kicker 17 Nylon
Forten Sweet 17 Nylon
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17 Nylon
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 17 Nylon
Babolat Superfine Play 17 Nylon
Prince Synthetic Gut 17 w/Duraflex Nylon

16g SYNTHETIC
Wilson Super Spin 16 Nylon
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 16 Nylon
Klip Kicker 16 Nylon
Tecnifibre Synthetic Gut 16 Nylon
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 16 Nylon
Forten Sweet 16 Nylon
Prince Synthetic Gut 16 w/Duraflex Nylon

POLY
Topspin Cyber Blue 17L Polyester
Pro Supex Big Ace 18 Polyester
Topspin Cyber Blue 17 Polyester
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.23 Polyester
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.25 Polyester
Topspin Cyber Flash 1.20 Polyester
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.18 Polyester
Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power 16L (125) Polyester

mozzer
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont think "home stringing" will be his full time job and wont need all this :O

edit - i realise u were probably just listing good strings for him to get, sorry!

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
would u say that ontop of stringing maxim touch in a poly hybrid (with SPPP and PRC,) would it do well in a full set-up? I re-string every three weeks.

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I dont think "home stringing" will be his full time job and wont need all this :O

edit - i realise u were probably just listing good strings for him to get, sorry!

correct, it's just a side-job until the boy's tennis season and the spring and summer tennis clinic. also, I was planning on buying strings that I could sell to my customers and use for myself.

*edit* by the way, thanks mauli boy, that list helped alot.

jim e
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I hope that the TW folks don't mind this post, but if you placed a small order with w w w. m i d w e * t s p o * t s . c o m (no spaces ),the store in cincinnatti, and a couple weeks later they will e-mail you a code for 10% off your next order. That is when I place a large string order,Like 20 or so vs gut packs, and a few reels of other strings, even though a large $ initially, the discount makes it worth the order, then you will be set for a while.When you type in the code they give you, the % off automatically shows up on every item on there web site, even their machines.

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope that the TW folks don't mind this post, but if you placed a small order with *sensored*,the store in cincinnatti, and a couple weeks later they will e-mail you a code for 10% off your next order. That is when I place a large string order,Like 20 or so vs gut packs, and a few reels of other strings, even though a large $ initially, the discount makes it worth the order, then you will be set for a while.When you type in the code they give you, the % off automatically shows up on every item on there web site, even their machines.

thanks jim. Also, I'd prefer you email the site next time in respect to TW.

T1000
09-12-2008, 07:04 PM
where i live, i use:
big banger
pro hurricane
nartural gut
big ace and blue gear
red code
kirschbaum pro line I and II

10nistennis
09-12-2008, 07:35 PM
A good amount would be

3 syn-guts
3-polys
1-multi
(Natural gut is optional, but if you are just beginning to learn how to string, it's not reccomended.)

For synthetic gut, get some Gosen, they play great for the price. Some Pro Supex Titan or Spiral Flex, and maybe Prince Orig. Syn Gut.

For Poly, get Blue Gear, Topspin CyperFlash, and Kirschbaum.

For Multi, go with Isospeed Control or Professional. Maxim may also be another good choice to carry.

Valjean
09-13-2008, 02:25 AM
so far I have a gosen OG micro reel in amber color, PRC and SPPP for myself, and a bunch of useless syn. gut. what should I carry with me considering that I would string for my tennis clinic and high school?
This question has been asked here many times; may I suggest you do a board search first next time? People tend to, well, "dry up" when they've been asked the same questions over and over, and the most helpful information to you simply gets drowned out, with the latest fads taking over. At least it can look that way.

2slow
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
i carry these

PSGD
Gosen sheep
GAMMA TNT
wilson nxt
luxilon alu power
luxilon alu power rough
luxilon BB Original rough
SPPP
topspin Cyberflash
Babolat hurricane tour
prince recoil
prince tour blend
prince topspin

im a student and only do stringing as a side job. i wouldnt recommended carrying too many strings if you're just starting out, after you build up a client base you'll have a pretty good idea of what your customers will want and you carry more of that string. I seldom even touch some of the string i carry(ie prince tour blend and recoil) as i just bought everything that i thought will be poplar when i started out.

SFrazeur
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Suggestions, advice and ramblings in general for those starting a stringing business.

1-3 synth
2-3 multi
2-3 polys

As for which strings to actually get that depends on your costumer demand. Start out by getting what is popular.

When people are trying you for the first time and they know what string they like and they ask you for it, say NXT 16/17, and you cannot deliver it they will question you as a viable stringer. You may very well have something better for them, but they do not trust you yet. You have to gain there trust first. As for the suggestions like ProSupex strings, while it may be cheap and great strings most have not heard of them. Again, gain there trust by having string they know by name. After that you can change them over to better, and/or cheaper to stock string.

That said, many, many do not know what the hell their racquet is strung with. They may know it's synthgut but have no clue to the brand. These people could not tell the difference between Wilson synth gut Extreme and Prince SynthGut w/ Duraflex. For these people if you ask them if X synthgut or is X string acceptable their response will be "I don't know. Is it good?"

-SF

COPEY
01-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Suggestions, advice and ramblings in general for those starting a stringing business.

1-3 synth
2-3 multi
2-3 polys

As for which strings to actually get that depends on your costumer demand. Start out by getting what is popular.

When people are trying you for the first time and they know what string they like and they ask you for it, say NXT 16/17, and you cannot deliver it they will question you as a viable stringer. You may very well have something better for them, but they do not trust you yet. You have to gain there trust first. As for the suggestions like ProSupex strings, while it may be cheap and great strings most have not heard of them. Again, gain there trust by having string they know by name. After that you can change them over to better, and/or cheaper to stock string.

That said, many, many do not know what the hell their racquet is strung with. They may know it's synthgut but have no clue to the brand. These people could not tell the difference between Wilson synth gut Extreme and Prince SynthGut w/ Duraflex. For these people if you ask them if X synthgut or is X string acceptable their response will be "I don't know. Is it good?"

-SF

Not sure what the reason was for ressurecting this old thread, but since it's on the table, maybe this will help...

I guess it depends on the type of tennis players you deal with. While I agree some people don't know what kind of strings they're currently using, I think most will understand that you may not have "their" string if you're a home stringer. I mean, you're doing it on the side; you're not a pro shop with a large inventory. For knowledgeable players who know what they want, what they like, if you have something you think is comparable or even better than what they're using, offer it to them with a healthy discount. Your goal is to keep them coming back, and even if they don't like the string, it gives you time to order in what they do like. In the mean time, word starts getting around that you're fair, your string jobs are good (assuming they are), and before you know it you'll be off and running.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.

SFrazeur
01-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I didn't do the resurrecting.

-SF

COPEY
01-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Yep, I noticed. My apologies for failing to make that clear. My reply was actually to anyone in general who found themselves wanting to string on the side. Again, sorry for the confusion.

retrograde
01-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Since this thread has been resurrected ...

We have a local stringer who offers only NXT and a syngut for those who don't provide their own strings. I suspect he figures the remaining clients are picky and will buy sets via mail order (seems most of the local enthusiasts know about TW).

goran_ace
01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Since this thread has been resurrected ...

We have a local stringer who offers only NXT and a syngut for those who don't provide their own strings. I suspect he figures the remaining clients are picky and will buy sets via mail order (seems most of the local enthusiasts know about TW).

That's the way I would do it in I were in the OP's situation.

schap02
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I would personally say that compared to other multi's, it's more durable and is definitely a little stiffer. But as a result, it has better control imo and doesn't move as much as other multi's. And it's also very comfortable. In my list, it's probably my #2 multi, under Isospeed Control. idk, I just like the Isospeed better.

E-mail me please

tutors9@verizon.net

BigT
01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
you can see my inventory and prices on my website.

smack that
01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
luxilon alu rough and gut if the area where u live is mega serious about tennis :D

Icedorb217
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
lol what a nice little argument u guys got here, and as for me im lucky because living in cali i have the option fot 5 buck overnight on string so i can just say im out of stock it will arrive within 2 days

Steve Huff
01-07-2010, 05:14 AM
TW will match those prices that MW gives you. When you call in your order, just tell them MW is offering a 10% discount. TW is more than reasonable.

jmverdugo
01-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Do any of you guys that string at home as a bussines buy the strings directly from the dist at store prices (special discount?)? Are you making a profit from the strings at all?

bieker
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM

1-3 synth
2-3 multi
2-3 polys

-SF

This is where your salesman skills come handy. Tell em this:"Yo check out these new strings I got from Pro Supex, I love them."
Then they say"WTF is Pro Supex?"
Then you follow up with this"You silly noob, they're some of the best price vs performance strings on the market, try them out once."

They will most likely try the strings out and keep coming back for more. Also I think you should have a couple sets of BB Alu in case people are looking for the best strings on the market. And if alot of your customers come back for more you could buy a reel of it.