PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar/Natural Gut Hybrid?

Blask
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Has anyone ever experimented with this?

Thanks

superstition
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Kevlar saws into the gut, according to what I've read.

tennisfreak15347
09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Kevlar saws into the gut, according to what I've read.

that was what I was going to say.

Bud
09-14-2008, 01:10 AM

Thanks

You'd definitely want the Kevlar in the mains. I've never found a hybrid combo with kevlar crosses that feels decent. They are all crap.

You shouldn't have a 'sawing' problem with kevlar mains unless the gut is uncoated... which, in that case, the gut may saw through the kevlar mains. Rough crosses, regardless of type, will definitely saw through kevlar mains.

BTW, I've tried it and it's a waste of money. Kevlar mains and any soft cross feels very similar... so save your money and use smooth SG crosses... if they are textured and you hit with heavy topspin... you can count on your mains breaking.

rich s
09-14-2008, 04:33 AM

Thanks

It's a waste of time and money.

You are wanting to hybrid Kevlar which is the most in-elastic string with natural gut which is the most elastic string.

The in-elasticity of the kevlar will negate the properties of the gut and all you will feel is the kevlar.

Kevlar should only be hybrided with the cheapest syn gut/nylon you can find because it will not allow the properties of your other string to be felt regardless of whether the kevlar is the main or cross string.

my $.03

Bud
09-15-2008, 03:55 AM
It's a waste of time and money.

You are wanting to hybrid Kevlar which is the most in-elastic string with natural gut which is the most elastic string.

The in-elasticity of the kevlar will negate the properties of the gut and all you will feel is the kevlar.

Kevlar should only be hybrided with the cheapest syn gut/nylon you can find because it will not allow the properties of your other string to be felt regardless of whether the kevlar is the main or cross string.

my $.03

Agreed. It will feel OK with gut... but no sense wasting a good half set of gut.