PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to make john hopkins d3 tennis team?

tennis91
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
the topic......

10isDad
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
A friend of my son is an incoming freshman on their team. He's a decent player, but only a 2 star on tennisrecruiting.net. National ranking is low to mid 300s. He said he expects to be in the top 6, but closer to the bottom.

tennis91
09-13-2008, 04:24 AM
is that all college coach look at the star ratings? Right now im busy with school so i cant really play any tournaments. And how hard is it to get a star rating and be in the top 300?

JMS
09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Well they are one of the best D3 teams, you have to have some considerable talent to make an impact on the team. Very good team and fantastic school.

wilsonplayer
09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
tennis91, i too am looking to play at johns hopkins and was about to ask the very same question. i hear they are looking for tennis players presently though.

OleNole
09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
is that all college coach look at the star ratings? Right now im busy with school so i cant really play any tournaments. And how hard is it to get a star rating and be in the top 300?

If you really don't play ANY tournaments, its pretty unlikely you're good enough to play for Hopkins. Coaches certainly don't limit themselves to looking at players solely based on tennisrecruiting's rankings, but they are a useful factor. If you don't have a ranking to show the coach, you should have some other way to prove you are good enough. You might want to look into some of Coach Carter's posts; since he's an actual college coach, he should give you some insight into the process.

BTW Johns Hopkins has plenty of players with national rankings and the academics to get in to such a school. If you can't do both in high school, it will be even harder in college. Maybe you should look at places that are less demanding either for tennis or academics.

Sampras1489
09-29-2008, 06:25 AM
They are good, I know of a 4 Star that was going to play there that said he would make the team but didnt know where. He ended up going to another small d3 school near by and plays there now. In conclusion, you can't just be a good club player and go there, but only one way to find out, talk to the coach, see if you can hit in.