PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hand stretch ALU before using?

AT92292
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Someone told me this helps the string not die and lose so much tension? Has anybody tried it and does it work?

Stan
09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
You do not want to prestretch polys. In some cases it does more harm than good. In addition, it's nearly impossible to achieve anything by hand as the ALU is too stiff to stretch.

AT92292
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
why what will it do? One of my friends said they dont die as quickly when you do that so I was just curious

ODYSSEY Mk.4
09-13-2008, 01:13 PM
pre stretching isn't need any longer only for gut and the only benefit is its only easier to string...

tennisfreak15347
09-13-2008, 01:17 PM
pre stretching isn't need any longer only for gut and the only benefit is its only easier to string...

its also to reduce tension loss. however, it wont help polys because poly's die at the same rate pre-stretch or not, and pre-stretching would actually make the string stiffer.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
09-13-2008, 01:21 PM
its also to reduce tension loss. however, it wont help polys because poly's die at the same rate pre-stretch or not, and pre-stretching would actually make the string stiffer.

honestly i have been stringing for a while and really hadn't noticed it at all
i've never had a noticeable difference in tension retention

tennisfreak15347
09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
honestly i have been stringing for a while and really hadn't noticed it at all
i've never had a noticeable difference in tension retention

concerning polys, of course. alot of polys have really good tension maintenance until they die. After the initial tension loss, they maintain that tension, but then start dropping off again once it dies, thus, the "restring once your strings start moving" rule of thumb.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
09-13-2008, 01:38 PM
concerning polys, of course. alot of polys have really good tension maintenance until they die. After the initial tension loss, they maintain that tension, but then start dropping off again once it dies, thus, the "restring once your strings start moving" rule of thumb.

agreed good sir; initial loss of tension is something all strings experience - tho poly goes dead...well when its dead..
but as far with Gut and Syn guts alike they don't have a notable difference after pre-strech VS is the only instance that has a big difference as far as "feel? if its pre-streched but i don't think it gives string a better tension retention
If you honestly feel it does i will not freak out and argue with you but string up 2 racquets with some durable syn gut 15g and go at it .. and come back with some findings