PDA

View Full Version : Optometrist or Ophthalmologist?

TripleB
02-04-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm in desperate need of having these old eyes of mine checked and in talking to some of my co-workers some say go to an optometrist and others say go to an ophthalmologist.

What's the difference and which is the better doctor to go to?

Thanks for any input.

TripleB

Cruzer
02-04-2005, 10:19 AM
It sounds like you haven't had your eyes checked in quite a while and I recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor that not only can check your eyes but can perform optical surgical procedures. Optometrists can check your eyes but don't have the same depth of training that an ophthalmologist has. In fact if there is something medically wrong with your eyes an optometrist should and probably will tell you that you need to see an ophthalmologist to address the condition. I have been to both over the years but now I always go to an ophthalmologist for my eye exams.

Marius_Hancu
02-04-2005, 10:27 AM
go to an MD (ophtalmologist), he will be able to check whole eye on the outside and on the inside (you should do this once a year, same as your physical). there are many problems with inner pressure, glaucoma, retina detachments and so on that you should be checked against.

he will also prescribe appropriate lenses, of course.

TripleB
02-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the information....I believe I'll go see an ophthalmologist.

Will an ophthalmologist have an M.D. by his name?

Will an optometrist have an O.D. by his name?

At an Ophthamology place I see listed for my area, both doctors there have an M.D. by their name.

At an Optemetric Eye Care Center the gentlemen has an O.D. by his name.

Thanks again for the information...it has really helped my decision A LOT.

TripleB

Marius_Hancu
02-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Will an ophthalmologist have an M.D. by his name?

Will an optometrist have an O.D. by his name?
Yes, that is usually the case.

TripleB
02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your help. Called the ophthamology place and have an oppointment for February 24th (earliest appointment available).

TripleB

Marius_Hancu
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your help. Called the ophthamology place and have an oppointment for February 24th (earliest appointment available).

Good. Don't just ask for lenses. Ask for a general checkup of your eye too. That's esp important if you never had it. And as I told you, get into your system to have done each year. Saves you of surprises. Even if I assume that any good MD would do that automatically.