PDA

View Full Version : UCONNs tennis team - questions

johnval1362
09-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Im currently a sophomore at central connecticut state university and plan on transfering to uconn next year. Walk ons are allowed at junior levels right? and anyone know how good uconns team is? is it d1?

andfor
09-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Looking at Tennis Recruiting.com none of their current players ever rated higher than 3 stars in highschool. It's not a bad way to compare for yourself to see if you think you might fit in. They rated from zero to 3 stars. It's not a perfect system but its a good one IMO. Lots of college coaches like it.

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/

Go for it and good luck.

tennisnj
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I played at UConn in the mid to late 1990s when the team was the worst team in the Big East AND quite possibly the worst in D1. It has since improved slightly. We would lose to D2, D3 & JuCo teams regularly 9-0 (including CCSU). Their facilities were worse than most HS teams---no lights or on campus indoor facility (40 minutes away), but that might have changed in the past few years (I haven't visited in 2 years). I walked on my freshman year & managed to play 4 years w/o a scholarship if for no other reason than the head coach (Glenn Marshall) is a horse's BEEP & wouldn't know talent if it hit him in the head. Not to mention it is VERY difficult to coach both a men's & women's tennis team at the same time at the D1 level.
Rethink your decision to play for UConn UNLESS you're making the move for academic reasons. I went to UConn for academics & when I stumbled upon practice one day & realized I was better than everyone on the team save a player or 2, I went out for the team & made it.

johnval1362
09-14-2008, 05:54 AM
really? wow. well i am going there for academics more than anything, central has no team anymore, its more of a side thing to play for uconn, but thanks for the heads up. I checked out the recruiting website everyone was pretty much 3 stars, i dont think im at that level yet but by next year i think i can be, i def have the potential but ill give it a shot, if not, im going for school not tennis

OleNole
09-14-2008, 08:37 AM
johnval, I go to UConn and from what I've heard, unless you are significantly better than their singles players you will not get a shot to make the team. My friend, who Coach Marshall would not allow to try out, transfered out after sophmore year and played 2nd singles at Springfield College, a D3 school. Honestly, I would recommend you consider trying out for the club team. It's just as competative, has a similar amout of practices, and those players don't have to deal with Marshall, who is not only a jerk, but generally regarded as the worst coach at UConn in any varsity sport.

As far as your tennis, do you play tournaments regularly? Do you have any notable wins, or a sectional or national ranking? These things should help you guage where you stand if you really want to play in college.

johnval1362
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
hes that much of a jerk? wow, well i play regularly and dont have any rankings but i just joined the usta a few days ago, and will be getting oppurtunities to attain rankings and some tournament wins, so well c how it goes. I played 3rd singles for my school we went undefefeated, but that was class s. But if the club team really is that competitive, id be probly much happier there well c how it goes though. If i get good enough by then, ill consider the team, but if not theres the club team too. Thankyou for the help

OleNole
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Where'd you play in high school? Weston?
Because there's a kid who played 3 for Staples on the club team. Also a couple kids who won states at doubles. I think in all we have 4 kids who were top 100 USTA New England for boys 18's.

tennisnj
09-14-2008, 11:42 AM
OleNole---nice to know things haven't changed whatsoever since I graduated in the late 90s. I wasn't significantly better than the rest of the players on the team, but better nonetheless.
JohnVal1362---I would venture to say many of the players on the club team & intramurals are better than most of the players on the tennis team. That's how it was when I was there & probably if for no other reason than the coach is a TOOL & it wasn't worth playing for him.

johnval1362
09-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Where'd you play in high school? Weston?
Because there's a kid who played 3 for Staples on the club team. Also a couple kids who won states at doubles. I think in all we have 4 kids who were top 100 USTA New England for boys 18's.

No bolton actually, we finished 2nd in the state right after weston, i know staples and weston were both nasty teams, we had class s winners in doubles 2 years ago and finalists last year, but neither won states for all the divisions. And im def not top 100 in new england for 18's

NickC
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
We beat staples :) I'm from greenwich, that's a nasty team right there. Unfortunately, I didn't play for the Varsity because of multiple disagreements with the coach. I could have played for them (my neighbor played doubles for them and I'm just a good a player as him, I just can't do anything singles-wise with my mental game), do I have a shot at Any D-I programs, period? I wouldn't mind staying in-state.

mdrew9
09-14-2008, 05:58 PM
No bolton actually, we finished 2nd in the state right after weston, i know staples and weston were both nasty teams, we had class s winners in doubles 2 years ago and finalists last year, but neither won states for all the divisions. And im def not top 100 in new england for 18's
Hey man I went to Bolton too! We didn't have tennis when I graduated though.

OleNole
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
We beat staples :) I'm from greenwich, that's a nasty team right there. Unfortunately, I didn't play for the Varsity because of multiple disagreements with the coach. I could have played for them (my neighbor played doubles for them and I'm just a good a player as him, I just can't do anything singles-wise with my mental game), do I have a shot at Any D-I programs, period? I wouldn't mind staying in-state.

In a word, no. Sorry man.
But what year are you? Hopefully it's not to late to mend fences (though I've heard some crazy stories about the Greenwich coach too) or start playing USTA tournaments. I think my brother, who plays 1 doubles at Fermi, was told he could play at Springfield College (D3), St. Mike's (D2), and Hartwick (D3 I think). Be realistic. I don't think either of the Kremhellers will play D1, and they are both really great players with experience at doubles and singles.
Who's your neighboor? Their dubs are stacked.

NickC
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
In a word, no. Sorry man.
But what year are you? Hopefully it's not to late to mend fences (though I've heard some crazy stories about the Greenwich coach too) or start playing USTA tournaments. I think my brother, who plays 1 doubles at Fermi, was told he could play at Springfield College (D3), St. Mike's (D2), and Hartwick (D3 I think). Be realistic. I don't think either of the Kremhellers will play D1, and they are both really great players with experience at doubles and singles.
Who's your neighboor? Their dubs are stacked.

I'm a freshman in college, living abroad for the year. I'm working out a ton and practicing with some mexican kids that have had low grade ITF experince. (I can hang with them in terms of pace and placement) I guess I'm around a weak 5.0. My serve is around 100 in average, and I'm hoping to get it to around 105 average by the end of the year. As for your other comment, Mark is playing (and starts) at Fairfield, and Erik is getting looked at by a few really good schools, I haven't spoken with him in a month or so, things could have changed. As for the Greenwich coach, she's really strange. I have a few disturbing stories about my experiences with her, but that's for another day. As for my neighbor, now that I think about it I have two that played on the team. Shota played 4th singles and Matt played 2nd dubs. Ryan, who was the captain this year, lives nearby me as well (I also had some disagreements with him and the other co-captain) and he played 1st dubs.

OleNole
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
tennisnj, don't be too critical. The varsity is week and the club team is pretty solid, but the varsity would beat the club team head to head. As for how close it would be, that's tough to say.

It's really a shame that the university isn't more committed to tennis, because we have some really good players in the area that leave to go to equal or lesser academic schools. Couzens, Salmon, Essoyan, Vogl, Davidson, Himmelsbach, etc. That's a pretty solid top 6.

OleNole
09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Shota played 4th singles and Matt played 2nd dubs. Ryan, who was the captain this year, lives nearby me as well (I also had some disagreements with him and the other co-captain) and he played 1st dubs.

Oh man. I'm from Enfield, so to hear of that many good players in one neighboorhood is just crazy. There are no top 150 USTA juniors at my club. There's 1 rising senior who'll play D3 next year. I went down to Greenwich last winter to visit a couple friends from school, and it felt like there was a tennis club on every corner. Where do you play?
Sorry to get so off topic.

NickC
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh man. I'm from Enfield, so to hear of that many good players in one neighboorhood is just crazy. There are no top 150 USTA juniors at my club. There's 1 rising senior who'll play D3 next year. I went down to Greenwich last winter to visit a couple friends from school, and it felt like there was a tennis club on every corner. Where do you play?
Sorry to get so off topic.

Who do you know from Greenwich?! And a few more members of the team like Robbie are at my house quite often (really good family friends with him, and I kick his *** in ping pong all the time) As for your other question, I play all over the place. I've played at: Binny Park, Cos Cob public courts, OGRC, Greenwich Racquet, Rye Brook Public Courts, Greenwich High, Central Middle, Western Middle, Pemberwick, the Field Club, Sound Shore, OGRCC Public Courts, and I play at Bailywick during the summers. Basically, every public court in town, and a few private clubs. I frequent Bailywick nearly every day during the summer, and I play all over in the winters.

Sorry to drift as much as I am.

OleNole
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
None of my friends from down there play tennis. (One does have his own tennis court though.)
Weren't the USO Junior finals at Sound Shore? I hit a little at Roxbury with one of my friends, but he's mostly a swimmer.

Volly master
09-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Ah yes, Bolton aka home of the The baker borthers. Justin is pretty much going to be the 2nd best kid in S now that Kimball is gone.

I don't know how strong college clubs are, but the kids from Bolton are solid for Class S but idk how you guys would stack up against a better program or different class.

NickC
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
None of my friends from down there play tennis. (One does have his own tennis court though.)
Weren't the USO Junior finals at Sound Shore? I hit a little at Roxbury with one of my friends, but he's mostly a swimmer.

Yeah, the finals were at sound shore (which, IMO is a complete dump, they charge something like 80 an hour to play on their courts, which are some of the worst I've ever played on). Roxbury is in Stamford, BTW, but still, who do you know in Greenwich, I'm friends with a ton of swimmers (if you don't feel comfortable saying here on the boards, shoot me an email, that'd be funny if we knew a few of the same people! My adress is npc22590@gmail.com) If you're a senior at Storrs, you may or may not know a good friend of mine, who went as a freshman, but has since transferred.

johnval1362
09-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Ah yes, Bolton aka home of the The baker borthers. Justin is pretty much going to be the 2nd best kid in S now that Kimball is gone.

I don't know how strong college clubs are, but the kids from Bolton are solid for Class S but idk how you guys would stack up against a better program or different class.

haha yeah, he kills me when i play him, theres still that one kid lucas or something that beat him pretty bad last time i saw them play in class s tournament

tennisnj
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
OleNole, now that I'm long gone from college & paid all my debts to them (still waiting for a portion of campus to be named after me for all the money I gave to them), & a successful person both on & off the court, I can be as critical as I need to be to prevent someone from making a mistake lol.
Is UConn still recruiting across the country & not in their own backyard(s)?

Volly master
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
haha yeah, he kills me when i play him, theres still that one kid lucas or something that beat him pretty bad last time i saw them play in class s tournament

Ya Lucas is ranked 3rd in NE in the 18's. Or was the last time I checked at least.

Both are pretty decent players, Lucas won the state open, hes pretty nasty.

shissncg
09-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey, nice to see CT represented on the boards here. I was an assistant pro at East Hartford Racquet Club when UConn had their indoor practices there. They have never been a powerhouse and you would definately stand a chance if you could beat any of the singles players. I think they are starting like 4 freshmen this year. I would have to disagree with the quality of the IM's, don't know about the club. I won the IM singles tourney 2 years ago, and faced 1 good player and 1 decent player in 5 rounds. Your best bet is to try out and see where it goes, at least you will be in contact with the best players and if you don't make the team you can try out again next year.

OleNole
09-18-2008, 06:54 AM
shissncg, the best players at UConn are freshmen and juniors, so you could only have played half of them. And intramurals was seeded based simply on order of arrival, so chances are the best players arrive together because they know eachother and take eachother out in the first couple rounds. For doubles and mixed last year I was on the fourth and third best team respectively and we lost second and first round to the eventual champs.

In UConn varsity tennis news: We beat Salve Regina 7-0 yesterday. None of the scores were close as far as I know (the reporter for the school newspaper was unaware that the doubles matches are played to 8 games, so I don't completely trust the paper's version of events). Sophmore Andrew Marcus, who's from the Baltimore area, jumped from not playing at all to winning at second singles and first doubles. Freshmen Dave Adams and Scott Warden also won. I've heard good things about Adams, who was only a two star recruit and topped out around 20 in New England boys 18s. I wouldn't be surprised to seem him playing 1 doubles next fall with Marcus. Warden I know less about, but I believe he is playing 3rd singles and 3rd doubles.

OleNole
09-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Ya Lucas is ranked 3rd in NE in the 18's. Or was the last time I checked at least.

Both are pretty decent players, Lucas won the state open, hes pretty nasty.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/rankings/rankinglists.aspx?id=495855

Lucas Andreika is technically 4 in New England, but there's several players that could probably beat him that aren't properly ranked.
Robbie Wong of Greenwich plays in USTA Eastern, and he's won LL three years in a row I think. Bruhn and Yazmer are age eligble but got scholarships early and haven't play as many tournaments recently. Nevertheless, Andreika is a top notch player; I don't mean to take anything away from him.

Also, keep and eye on Wayne Harrell. He's 31 in NE boys 18s at 14 years old. His dad was the USTA High Performance coach for New England at one point, I believe. In his last 3 tournaments, he's crushed Lee, Bozzo and Barnhart (also on the rise), all top 30 players.

NickC
09-18-2008, 10:31 AM
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/rankings/rankinglists.aspx?id=495855

Lucas Andreika is technically 4 in New England, but there's several players that could probably beat him that aren't properly ranked.
Robbie Wong of Greenwich plays in USTA Eastern, and he's won LL three years in a row I think. Bruhn and Yazmer are age eligble but got scholarships early and haven't play as many tournaments recently. Nevertheless, Andreika is a top notch player; I don't mean to take anything away from him.

Also, keep and eye on Wayne Harrell. He's 31 in NE boys 18s at 14 years old. His dad was the USTA High Performance coach for New England at one point, I believe. In his last 3 tournaments, he's crushed Lee, Bozzo and Barnhart (also on the rise), all top 30 players.

Robbie has won it twice. He lost to Ben Zuckerberg his freshman year in the Semis. He beat Sho Matsumoto (also of G-Town) 0 and 1 his sophomore year, and I think he beat Erik Kremheller (another G-Towner) 6-3 4-6 6-1 last year. He'll probably win it again this year.

Oh and for the record, he has yet to beat me in table tennis. :mrgreen: I've killed him almost every time we've played. His older brother, though, I can't get a point off of.

OleNole
09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Is UConn still recruiting across the country & not in their own backyard(s)?

It sure looks that way. We've got 1 freshman from Purto Rico, 1 from Ohio, our only sophomore is from Maryland, and our first singles player is a junior from Arizona. I found out that their only freshman from ct. played 1 dubs at Fairfield Warde last year. (As I've said there's a kid who played 3 singles at Staples on the club team; a kid who played 2 dubs at Warde didn't even make 1st cuts for club.)
How do you lose Bruhn, who lived ten minutes from campus, to another Big East school? He was probably good enough to play second singles for us last year at E.O. Smith. How does Mike Taylor (Darien, Ct.) end up at Villanova, Joe Delinks (Falmouth, Mass) at Central Florida, Matt Himmelsbach (Longmeadow, Mass) at Marist, or strangest of all, Josh Cameron (Dorchester, Mass) at FLORIDA A&M? These kids didn't pass UConn over because of academics! Recruit decent players Coach!!!!

I don't mean this as an insult to the players on the team; all of them are good players and deserve to play college tennis. I am upset with the athletic department. We have some really great programs at UConn that cull most of their talent from elsewhere, most notably football and both basketball teams, because New England just doesn't produce enough high-level athletes in those sports. In tennis, there are such players in the area and we should be signing them! Considering the poor job he does recruiting, I can only assume Marshall is a pretty good developer of talent; imagine if he signed some of the three and four star recruits that live within a hour or two of campus!

OleNole
09-20-2008, 10:19 PM
For what its worth, UConn beat Hartford 7-0 thursday. Looking at the schedule, they shouldn't lose a dual match this fall. We'll see what happens in Big East play.