PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about how much to drop tension

meowmix
09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Quick Question:

I currently play a pair of Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP's that were strung with TNT Fatcore 16 at 62lbs (on a dropweight). I finally broke both strings tonight, so it's time to get a restringing. Thing is, I thought the stringbed was too tight, and I plan to drop tension a bit. How much tension should I drop at a time? 3 lbs? 5 lbs?

bladepdb
09-13-2008, 04:50 PM
It's usually good to drop tension in small increments so you don't find yourself adjusting your stroke/game to the racquet.

5 lbs is too huge a drop, 3 is reasonable. When I personally adjust tension I adjust by 2 lbs. It depends on the liberty you have with your stringing fees. I.e. if you string yourself and don't have to worry about labor costs, go with smaller drops (2 lbs), but if you have to pay labor costs maybe do 3 lbs. I would not suggest more than 3 though.

EDIT: Oh and on a side note, dropweights sometimes feel a little tighter than electric/crank machines due to the consistent constant pull. (This is my experience from stringing on a Star 5 at a friend's pro shop and my own Gamma X-2). So actually 3 lbs is a good idea.

Il Mostro
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Ditto on changing tension in 2 pound increments.

downdaline
09-13-2008, 06:08 PM
It also depends on what kind of string u are using.

If u drop tension by 2 lbs on Alu Power (stiff), you might not feel it, but a 2lbs drop in tension on something like X1 Biphase (soft) would be very noticeable.

Bud
09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Quick Question:

I currently play a pair of Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP's that were strung with TNT Fatcore 16 at 62lbs (on a dropweight). I finally broke both strings tonight, so it's time to get a restringing. Thing is, I thought the stringbed was too tight, and I plan to drop tension a bit. How much tension should I drop at a time? 3 lbs? 5 lbs?

It's going to be WAY too tight. That's equivalent to approximately 70 lbs or more if strung on a lockout machine (depending on how much it's 'pre-stretched' prior to clamping). By that I mean... how many times do you lift the weight and let it drop to level prior to clamping?

On my dropweight... I adjust/time it so the weight falls to the level position slowly, one time and then clamp it. If you let it fall to level slowly and then lift the weight again and let it fall slowly again... that's equivalent to pre-stretching the string since you're removing additional elasticity.

Try stringing it at 55# and then reassess for the following string job.

meowmix
09-14-2008, 07:29 AM
^Well, actually, my friend strings for me. He only charges 25 for two rackets strung with TNT fatcore, so I'm not complaining. About how much he prestretches it, I've got no idea.

bladepdb
09-14-2008, 01:06 PM
^Well, actually, my friend strings for me. He only charges 25 for two rackets strung with TNT fatcore, so I'm not complaining. About how much he prestretches it, I've got no idea.

I think it's fair to go 3 lbs then, to 59, then drop again if you don't find it right. Again, the issue with huge drops (e.g. 62 to 55) is that you'll find yourself adjusting your stroke to a sudden change rather than gradually settling into a new tension that suits you.

I doubt he pre-stretches the string, but as Bud mentioned with a dropweight machine typically the stringer will (inadvertently) pre-stretch the string during the act of lifting and adjusting the horizontal bar. (Unless of course he is experienced enoguh and conscious of this and takes the precaution to avoid lifting and dropping multiple times).