PDA

View Full Version : Softer ALU

2ndserveace
09-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I love the control and power of ALU Rough, but my I'm worried about my arm in my new K95. Can anyone recommend a string that plays similar to ALU in the control and power categories, but is softer? I've already tried Fluoro and it didn't play similar enough. Any help would be appreciated.

bee
09-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Try ALU Power Rough in the mains and natural gut in the crosses. I've been very happy with this in my PT630 with both at 54".

[d]ragon
09-14-2008, 09:25 AM
try stringing lower or try fluoro

2ndserveace
09-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I've used the Rough/gut combo and it was just too powerful and expensive. I wasn't the one paying for it, but I didn't want my parents to have to pay for it either. As I said above, the fluoro wasn't as good as the normal ALU. I might try messing with the tension, but then wouldn't it have less control and defeat the purpose of using ALU anyway?

jackson vile
09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I love the control and power of ALU Rough, but my I'm worried about my arm in my new K95. Can anyone recommend a string that plays similar to ALU in the control and power categories, but is softer? I've already tried Fluoro and it didn't play similar enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Give silver string a try

smirker
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Give silver string a try

Jackson, you beat me to the punch, another vote for Silverstring.

Matty G
09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Jackson, you beat me to the punch, another vote for Silverstring.

if you had to compare ss and alu how would you compare them?

PROTENNIS63
09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
silverstring is not a good option if you are looking for a softer alu. It is made to be a "lux clone".

Some soft co-polys that I recommend are Big Ace, Cyber Blue, TCS, BHB

smirker
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
silverstring is not a good option if you are looking for a softer alu. It is made to be a "lux clone".

Some soft co-polys that I recommend are Big Ace, Cyber Blue, TCS, BHB

I agree, but what he is after is a softer string that plays like Alu, which is virtually impossible. The strings you mention are excellent softer co-polys but they will play very differently. My inference from the op was that the likeness in playing characteristics were more important than the softness. Agreed that SS is not soft but it is more comfortable than Alu IMO

smirker
09-15-2008, 01:20 PM
if you had to compare ss and alu how would you compare them?

don't want to lead you up the garden path here MG, SS I have only been experimenting with lately, with favourable results, and Alu I have limited experience of. When I did hit with it I found it too harsh for my TE prone elbow to deal with. Sorry couldn't be of more help. The SS is pretty stiff but for some reason didn't have the harsh feel that Alu did.

NickC
09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Have you tried Luxilon Big ACE or Luxilon TiMO? Both are fairly soft for polys, but still play well. If you thought that the Lux/Gut combo was too powerful, why not just up the tension by a few pounds to try to calm the power a bit. Your arm will be fine due to the gut. I string my racquets around 64 and it's not too powerful at all. Try around 57-60, and see how that feels.

2ndserveace
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I might try SS and maybe TiMo. Thanks again.