PDA

View Full Version : Advice need for my weight training program

Takenobu
09-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi, I play tennis 2-3 times a week and just started weight training 1-2 months ago (no prior experience).

I've created this program for myself, but i'm unsure about two things:

1) How long I have to wait, in order to avoid overtraining.
2) Sets and reps optimal for me and how I should change it over time (as I get better).

I'm about 6'4'' and weigh about 203 pounds. I go through this program every second day, but i'm sure that I now could do it now every day, but i'm afraid of overtraining so I won't...

Program (with 5 kg and 10 kg dumbbells)

Arm
3 x 15 (10 kg) Hammer curl
3 x 15 (5 kg) French presses
3 x 5 (10 kg) Dumbbell Front Raise
3 x 5 (10 kg) Dumbbell Side Raise

Chest
3 x 15 (10 kg) Fly
3 x 15 (10 kg) Dumbbell Bench Press

Shoulder
3 x 15 (5 kg) External Rotator
3 x 15 (5 kg) External Rotator reverse
3 x 15 (5 kg) Propped External Rotator

Forearm
3 x 15 (1 kg) Forearm Pronation/Supination
3 x 15 (10 kg) Wrist Extension (pronated)
3 x 15 (10 kg) Wrist Flexion (supinated)

Compound / Legs
3 x 5 Lunge
3 x 15 Squat

I've read through some of the posts here on the forum, and i've heard that compound exercises are very good in the beginning, so i'm wondering if I should do some drastic changes to my program?

Dags
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
How you train depends on your goals. If you want to tone, then low weights and high reps. If you're looking to increase muscle mass (bulk up), then high weights, low reps.

You are right that you should wait at least 48 hours between working any set of muscles. When you're working out, you're tearing the muscle. When you're resting, the muscle repairs and gets stronger. The resting is the most important part of your workout.

jserve
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Don't forget back exercises as well. I notice your routine is lacking in anything that is back specific. Although squats are a compound exercise that will hit your back a little, you need add some more for a balanced workout.

Gmedlo
09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
How you train depends on your goals. If you want to tone, then low weights and high reps. If you're looking to increase muscle mass (bulk up), then high weights, low reps.

This is not true. Tone is completely a result of muscle size and fat loss, not doing low weight, high reps (at least not in the sense that you're talking about.)

If your goal is to increase power, then you should stay within the range of 3-5 reps. If you're looking to increase mass then stay in the range of 8-12 reps.

Takenobu
09-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Ah thanks, then I should probably lower the repetitions a little.

I was doing normal crunches and back-exercises but I forgot to add them to the list.

If I change my program to like 3 sets of 3-5 repetitions, can I do the program more often, than I do now where i'm doing 15 reps? And should I add more weight to the dumbbells if I change to fewer reps?

Thanks for all the replies!

Dags
09-15-2008, 05:41 AM
This is not true. Tone is completely a result of muscle size and fat loss, not doing low weight, high reps (at least not in the sense that you're talking about.)

To me, someone who is toning is not looking to increase the muscle size greatly, just to define it somewhat more by losing additional fat.

You may still not agree with my statement, but I thought it worth clarifying what I meant (and if you don't agree, I'd be curious to know what you'd recommend to meet that goal).

DOUG951
09-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I would suggest doing more compound body movements. Focus on mainly doing deadlifts, squats and lunges for the legs, shoulder presses for shoulders, bench press for the chest/triceps, and pull ups for the back/biceps

But overall you seem to be hitting all the muscle groups, so make sure you take two days off between muscle groups, meaning maybe do chest and triceps monday, back and biceps tuesday, legs wednesday,

As a general rule if its sore, don't work it out. I take a week off every 10 weeks, just to allow my body total rest. That insures you are not over training.

Takenobu
09-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Doug951, thanks for your input!