PDA

View Full Version : Recommended string for Babolat Aero Drive Cortex?

Bagdatis toy hippo
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
After a long time demoing raquets, I found that I like the aero pro drive cortex the best out of all the frames. However, I'm pretty clueless on what string to use. I'm a hard-hitter from the baseline, but I'm not ready for polyester yet. I was thinking of a hybrid between a polyester and a soft string, or just a regular sythetic gut. Thanks.

bladepdb
09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Hybrid might be a good idea. I'm at the 4.0 level and I switched a hybrid when I was at 3.5, I feel like it helped me add control to some shots that I would normally hit out.

If you want the standard for poly, you should start at Luxilon (Big Banger Original or ALU Power are the place the start), and use those in mains. For cross string, try a good multifilament. PSGM is a good cheap multi (you probably don't want natural gut or an expensive multi in the crosses unless you have the money to throw around). Alternatively, I've used a regular synthetic gut (PSGD and Gosen OG Sheep) and they feel fine to me.

If you are interested, there are softer polys on the market now. Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Pro Supex Big Ace, Topspin Cyberflash, or Topspin Cyberpower all score well in the comfort department for a poly string. They also offer better-than-average tension retention and touch at the net. However, you won't find these usually in a store or on TW. Stringsdepotplus (Google it) is a reliable source for these strings (except the Topspin, which TW does stock). You could also cross these with a multi or a syn gut though Big Ace and SPPP rank very high up in the comfort department, and many can have a full job of it without isssues.

Bagdatis toy hippo
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Hybrid might be a good idea. I'm at the 4.0 level and I switched a hybrid when I was at 3.5, I feel like it helped me add control to some shots that I would normally hit out.

If you want the standard for poly, you should start at Luxilon (Big Banger Original or ALU Power are the place the start), and use those in mains. For cross string, try a good multifilament. PSGM is a good cheap multi (you probably don't want natural gut or an expensive multi in the crosses unless you have the money to throw around). Alternatively, I've used a regular synthetic gut (PSGD and Gosen OG Sheep) and they feel fine to me.

If you are interested, there are softer polys on the market now. Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Pro Supex Big Ace, Topspin Cyberflash, or Topspin Cyberpower all score well in the comfort department for a poly string. They also offer better-than-average tension retention and touch at the net. However, you won't find these usually in a store or on TW. Stringsdepotplus (Google it) is a reliable source for these strings (except the Topspin, which TW does stock). You could also cross these with a multi or a syn gut though Big Ace and SPPP rank very high up in the comfort department, and many can have a full job of it without isssues.

I think I've already decided on getting a hybrid with the babolat pro hurricane tour and a soft string...but if you know, do you know if the hurricane tour is more or less powerful than the kirchbaum super smash spiky 16? Because my friend used that in a hybrid with a soft string, and I thought it was just a little too powerful. I was thinking of getting one for a little more control.

Thanks for the help ;)

Moz
09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I think I've already decided on getting a hybrid with the babolat pro hurricane tour and a soft string...but if you know, do you know if the hurricane tour is more or less powerful than the kirchbaum super smash spiky 16? Because my friend used that in a hybrid with a soft string, and I thought it was just a little too powerful. I was thinking of getting one for a little more control.

Thanks for the help ;)

Good choice on the racquets. From bitter experience I'd like to recommend you don't use the Pro Hurricane Tour.

- Very stiff
- Takes a while to play in
- Loses tension fast
- Very little power.

Take a look at Nickb's poly guide and get a relatively soft string, string it low and work tighter / stiffer if you are okay arm wise. PHT is just crap string IMO. Far better out there.

bladepdb
09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I think in my knowledge from these forums, consensus is the Pro Hurricane line is unique and has a "mushy" feeling that other polys don't. It's a particular feel that either you like or you don't. I can't attest any further to this having never used the string.

Also, you hit on the fact that PHT is a relatively softer string than most polys (hence its "mushy" characteristic). Combine that with a softer string in the hybrid and you'll get good feel/touch, etc. and also more power than you would with a typical, stiffer hybrid.