PDA

View Full Version : Drop weight to crank tension difference

Ljubicic for number1
09-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, A question to the people who have moved from a drop weight to a crank machine, What tension adjustments did you feel you had to make to replicate stringbed tension when moving to the crank?

I know drop weights are more or less a constant pull so they should be stringing tighter than my lock out.

I recently bought some racquets that were strung on a drop weight at 58lbs with natural gut, when its time to restring them on my lock out I would like to replicate them. Normally I would just trial and error but obviously gut is a bit expensive for that so hoping to get it close first up. I have heard about 4lbs do you guys agree with that?

Thanks in advance.

jim e
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
According to the 2008 Fall/Winter issue of the USRSA Digest, page 76 it says:

"If a new customer has been getting his racquet strung on a spring-type machine, and you're using a drop weight or continuous pull machine, you should lower your reference tension by 3-6 pounds to accommodate the difference in the pulling mechanisms."

Valjean
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
"Different string materials and constructions, and different racquet head sizes, will require different amounts of compensation to match the stringbed stiffness produced by a constant-pull machine to that produced by a lockout machine. For racquets with smaller heads and/or with lower elongation strings, use tensions toward the minimum..... For racquets with larger heads and/or with higher elongation strings, use tensions toward the maximum..... "

000KFACTOR90000
09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, A question to the people who have moved from a drop weight to a crank machine, What tension adjustments did you feel you had to make to replicate stringbed tension when moving to the crank?

I know drop weights are more or less a constant pull so they should be stringing tighter than my lock out.

I recently bought some racquets that were strung on a drop weight at 58lbs with natural gut, when its time to restring them on my lock out I would like to replicate them. Normally I would just trial and error but obviously gut is a bit expensive for that so hoping to get it close first up. I have heard about 4lbs do you guys agree with that?

Thanks in advance.

think 5 - 10%. For 60lbs the correct offset is between 3 - 6lbs but just from my own trial and error I found 4 lbs to be right on the money. (6lbs felt too tight)
ps thanks for the poly polar tip!

Ljubicic for number1
09-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, the racquet in question is a pure drive roddick with full VS Gut.