PDA

View Full Version : Will exercising with hand grips help prevent TE?

pmata814
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Just as the title says.

I had a case of Tennis Elbow back in December and after switching racquets, bhands, and taking some time off it got better. I'm starting to feel a little discomfort again and was wondering if exercising with those handgrips they sell at Academy, supposedly to build forearm strength, would help?

Thanks in advance.

jgn1013
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
When i 1st started playing tennis (dec 06) I was on the cusp of getting GE, I started using the hand grips & lots of forearm exercises. For me it has solved my problems, my inner elbow rarely is soar. My racquet is PDT (non cortex), w. full ploy @ 61# which is considered pretty hard on the arm. The only time i feel a little sore is when I spend too much time practicing serves.

pmata814
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
When i 1st started playing tennis (dec 06) I was on the cusp of getting GE, I started using the hand grips & lots of forearm exercises....

What other forearm exercises did you do?

Lefty5
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
yes, 2 exercises are great.

1. squeeze a ball
2. put a rubber band around the outside of all 5 of your fingers. Slowly open your hand. The rubberband serves as the tension to build your muscles in the opposite direction of exercise #1.

jgn1013
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
What other forearm exercises did you do?

I have a cheap set of dumb bells/resistant band,
do reverse curls, hammer curls & wrist curls.

pmata814
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. Would doing these exercises every day be counterproductive?

Lefty5
09-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the responses. Would doing these exercises every day be counterproductive?

you should do them more than once a day. more the better.

SystemicAnomaly
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
^ Not so sure about that. TE is an overuse injury. If you overload the forearm muscles, you should probably give them 48 hours or so to recover. 3x a week is probably ok to overload small and medium-sized muscles. You might be able to perform the ball squeeze and rubber band stretch more often as long as you don't do it excessively.

As for the wrist curls, reverse wrist curls (wrist extensions), and hammer curls -- 3x a week is probably best if you are using weights. Don't squeeze too hard with your fingers when you are performing these 3 types of exercises. (Same thing goes if you are working triceps, biceps, and chest). You should also perform some exercises that will work the rotator muscles of the forearm -- biceps curls with supination, and triceps extensions with pronation, will give you that forearm rotation workout.