PDA

View Full Version : when to get busy...

SoCal10s
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I was wondering when is a good start for a high school boy to get busy looking for a tennis school to go to... when should he start writing letters to college coaches ect... what is a good timeline to seriously start to decide when and where...
I saw a kid ranked top 5 from SoCal and top 50 in the Nat'l and a 5 star BLUE CHIP, he ends up going to California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, CA.... and I was wondering,what happened here? did he not prepare himself? or just bad plannning.. I'm sure he could have fit right into a lot of high quality D1 tennis schools.. UCLA,USC,Arizona.ect... but SLO?

10isDad
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I see a 5-star but not a blue chip - could be 2007/8 roster. Regardless, there are tons of reasons. Perhaps he wanted to go there. Perhaps it's the best fit for him. Maybe he wants a program (educational) they excel in. Maybe he has a better chance of starting and/or playing near the top of the line-up there. Maybe they offered more scholarship money.

kctennis1005
09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
andre dome went there i think because he wanted to stay close to home and he got a full ride. people make some weird decisions where they want to go, but i think he also didnt have the best grades and was tough to get recruited by top schools(USC, UCLA, etc.) because u need decent grades for those places.

ZoomUltraflight
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
wow, too many people are hung up with sports instead of education in college. Of course, you can go to the best tennis program, but if your gpa is a 2.5 you aren't getting a good job. The all-time leading scorer for Lax on Long Island went to harvard, b/c he was smart and his lax helped him get into a great school. A friend of mine (another lax player) got calls from hopkins and duke, but decided to go to some non-name sports school b/c he wanted play time. Don't make judgements just because someone doesn't go to a top program. There are much more important things in life than where you play college tennis.

NOW before you get all mad, I'm not saying you can't decide to go to a top program. If you've worked your *** off in order to go to a great tennis school, by all means do what you want. I'm just saying you shouldn't only focus on the program, b/c college is a great experience and there are other factors that will change your mind that have nothing to do with tennis.

tenniscrazed
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
andre dome went there i think because he wanted to stay close to home and he got a full ride. people make some weird decisions where they want to go, but i think he also didnt have the best grades and was tough to get recruited by top schools(USC, UCLA, etc.) because u need decent grades for those places.

A top recruit doesn't have to worry about the "educational standard", seriously do you really think most of the foreign recruits TRULY meet the educational standard at Texas A & M, SC, Georgia etc. Also, don't think for a minute that the starting line on the USC football team made the ed standard either. If they want you bad enough, your in period.

1) Think politics
2) Follow the money

kctennis1005
09-15-2008, 08:22 PM
A top recruit doesn't have to worry about the "educational standard", seriously do you really think most of the foreign recruits TRULY meet the educational standard at Texas A & M, SC, Georgia etc. Also, don't think for a minute that the starting line on the USC football team made the ed standard either. If they want you bad enough, your in period.

1) Think politics
2) Follow the money

for domestic tennis players there is a higher standard than foreign players and in football players(because theyre a revenue sport)

kctennis1005
09-15-2008, 08:24 PM
wow, too many people are hung up with sports instead of education in college. Of course, you can go to the best tennis program, but if your gpa is a 2.5 you aren't getting a good job. The all-time leading scorer for Lax on Long Island went to harvard, b/c he was smart and his lax helped him get into a great school. A friend of mine (another lax player) got calls from hopkins and duke, but decided to go to some non-name sports school b/c he wanted play time. Don't make judgements just because someone doesn't go to a top program. There are much more important things in life than where you play college tennis.

NOW before you get all mad, I'm not saying you can't decide to go to a top program. If you've worked your *** off in order to go to a great tennis school, by all means do what you want. I'm just saying you shouldn't only focus on the program, b/c college is a great experience and there are other factors that will change your mind that have nothing to do with tennis.

i completely agree with getting an education first......this guy went to cal poly slo....not a top academic institution by any means and not a great tennis school either. all of the top institutions are very good academically too.....ucla, usc, stanford, duke, etc. therefore if some1 slacks off in high school they get screwed because they cant go to a good academic institution or a good tennis place(excluding ohio st and miss st)

SoCal10s
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Andre Dome is a super tennis player,why would he want to play for SLO,when he could/should have gone to USC,UCLA,Pepperdine, all close to home,unless he wants to study farming at SLO...
when I saw this ,it got me thinking that maybe he did not plan out his college as well as he should have... so the question... "WHEN TO GET BUSY"

10isDad
09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
A little research goes a long way. Below is from the Santa Maria Times:

"College is one year away, but Arroyo Grande tennis ace Andre Dome is already dressing the part.

Dome arrived at his own press conference donned in a green collar shirt on Thursday, sitting calmly before family, friends, coaches and cameras.

Then, at 2:35 p.m., he signed a national letter of intent to attend Cal Poly - home of the green and gold - in effect, serving the Central Coast, yet, another winner.

This one - unlike the others - comes as a surprise. The Cal Poly Mustangs beat out USC, among other national powerhouses, for one of the nation's most prized tennis recruits. Dome enters his senior year with the blue and gold ranked No. 6 in the state and 21st in the nation by TennisRecruiting.net.

Cal Poly has offered Dome a full-ride scholarship.

“This is a once in a lifetime thing,” Dome said. “Not a lot of people get to do something like this. It's the local support I've been having throughout the years. It's an honor to play here in front of friends and family.” "

So, bottom line they offered a full ride. The other schools probably couldn't offer a full tennis scholarship due to the number of other players on scholarship.

Could he have finagled a partial tennis scholarship and gotten 'needs' or academic based grants/scholarships for the rest for some of the other schools? Possibly, but a free ride is a sure thing.

SoCal10s
09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
A little research goes a long way. Below is from the Santa Maria Times:

"College is one year away, but Arroyo Grande tennis ace Andre Dome is already dressing the part.

Dome arrived at his own press conference donned in a green collar shirt on Thursday, sitting calmly before family, friends, coaches and cameras.

Then, at 2:35 p.m., he signed a national letter of intent to attend Cal Poly - home of the green and gold - in effect, serving the Central Coast, yet, another winner.

This one - unlike the others - comes as a surprise. The Cal Poly Mustangs beat out USC, among other national powerhouses, for one of the nation's most prized tennis recruits. Dome enters his senior year with the blue and gold ranked No. 6 in the state and 21st in the nation by TennisRecruiting.net.

Cal Poly has offered Dome a full-ride scholarship.

“This is a once in a lifetime thing,” Dome said. “Not a lot of people get to do something like this. It's the local support I've been having throughout the years. It's an honor to play here in front of friends and family.” "

So, bottom line they offered a full ride. The other schools probably couldn't offer a full tennis scholarship due to the number of other players on scholarship.

Could he have finagled a partial tennis scholarship and gotten 'needs' or academic based grants/scholarships for the rest for some of the other schools? Possibly, but a free ride is a sure thing.

WOW.... thanks for the info.. he always took the unconventional route... good for him... SLO is a Cal State school and he being a CA resident couldn't have cost that much in tuition..I don't think it was about money,USC would have found full backing for him if he wanted to go there.. I was looking forwards to watching him play college ball at USC or UCLA ... in the past couple years I try to follow him when he plays the local JR. tournament because he has such a beautiful game,non-conventional 2-hands both sides and really cranks the ball and still can create angles from back court.. pretty good serve and he has a good feel for the game,well mannered no temper tantrum ...he took J. Jenkins to 7-5 in the 3rd at Kalamazoo .. this guy really has character , so good luck to Andre Dome...

socaltennnis
09-16-2008, 10:19 AM
anyways, to clarify on the original post, andre dome didn't flake out or plan poorly. SLO was the best choice for him and he will get to play in their top lineup and he has his friends and family to support him there.

as for contacting coaches, i would say start junior year, after start having a better academic profile (more classes, have some SAT's) and visit colleges that summer before your senior year.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
For Junior class
So it is PSAT season right now- You can have at least that score under your belt to add to "interest" applications for coach.
Time to sign up for NCAA clearinghouse ($50.00).
Fall season means more "relaxed" pressure tournaments for college teams- Invitationals, and coaches may/can talk to you as a Junior class member. Look smart and aware, ask what they would like to see in a player.

Start looking at "narrowing" field of schools- "narrow" like 15 or so, just to get a feel for academic requirements, costs, distance you want to travel, (and tennis chances, of course). Some schools may come out of the blue based on your scholastics (and their size and costs) about now, as well.

Wondertoy
09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think it was about money,USC would have found full backing for him if he wanted to go there.. I was looking forwards to watching him play college ball at USC or UCLA ...

It's hard to get a full ride at USC with 4 1/2 scholarships per team.

10isDad
09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
It's hard to get a full ride at USC with 4 1/2 scholarships per team.

Especially considering there are a minimum of 3 foreign players on the team. It's a generalization to be sure, but foreign players will generally get a piece of the tennis scholarship pie. However local (in-state players) often can get special academic scholarships for staying in-state.

Such was the case at ASU (when they had a tennis team) - foreign players got tennis scholarships, US players got academic scholarships. Either way, basically everybody on the team had a decent (and sometimes all) chunk of their tuition paid for.

mtommer
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I was wondering when is a good start for a high school boy to get busy looking for a tennis school to go to... when should he start writing letters to college coaches ect... what is a good timeline to seriously start to decide when and where...
I saw a kid ranked top 5 from SoCal and top 50 in the Nat'l and a 5 star BLUE CHIP, he ends up going to California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, CA.... and I was wondering,what happened here? did he not prepare himself? or just bad plannning.. I'm sure he could have fit right into a lot of high quality D1 tennis schools.. UCLA,USC,Arizona.ect... but SLO?

My guess is that the time to get started is the time when a player starts getting decent results, the kind of results colleges look for. Once a player knows they are at that level (or steadily progressing towards it) that is the time to start letting colleges know, "Hey, here I am. This is what I'm doing." etc. and getting a rapport going. Keep updating the coach on important matches etc.

I would also suggest that the kid being mentally prepared for this process for he may not get much personal attention beyond a "I got the information" email from the coaches throughout the process. As senior year rolls around and the tennis season wraps up, then I would expect more attention to come in. But keep in mind my experience is limited for Tim (the coach before Mark Riley at K) approached me so keep that in mind that I don't have any real experience except for an older brother who went through it for cross country.

wong209
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
anyone know how good the cal poly team is i was considering going there and playing on there club team but i just recently found out they dont have one

10isDad
10-03-2008, 05:10 AM
anyone know how good the cal poly team is i was considering going there and playing on there club team but i just recently found out they dont have one

Male or female? You didn't say...

There's Cal Poly @ San Luis Obispo (D1) and there's Cal Poly @ Pomona (D2). Again, you didn't say.

Assuming male and at San Luis Obispo, hopefully this will give you an idea:

They were listed as being #14 in recruiting classes for 2008 by tennisrecruiting.net. They signed blue-chipper Andre Dome and 4-star Brian McPhee. Previous players: They also have 5-star Drew Jacobs, 4-star Blake Wardman & 4-star Andrew Gerst plus some foreigners.

Last year in their final match of the year, Gerst played #1, Jacobs #3 and Wardman #6 with foreign players playing at 2,4 & 5.

They were 11-9 in the regular season with losses coming to Fresno State, Pepperdine, San Diego & San Diego State, Harvard, BYU and others.