PDA

View Full Version : Why muscles do not stay sore

Kenny022593
09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I went to the gym today and i did an upper body workout. When i did each exercise i did 2 sets (rep=until i had to stop). After my upper body workout my arms were really sore so i did some leg workouts and then left. When i got homoe my muscles were no longer sore why is this? I mean at the gym they felt like jelly and like i couldnt curl a 15 lb dumb bell

JYD
09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
They were probably tight, and now loosened up after the exercise. It may hurt tomorrow.

Hot Sauce
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
It's just a sign of a good burn.

CHOcobo
09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
that is just normal. muscles recover it self over time.

Gmedlo
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
DOMS typically doesn't set in until you wake up the next morning. Trust me, If you actually did two sets to complete failure, with any weight, you will feel it in the morning.

xtremerunnerars
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
DOMS typically doesn't set in until you wake up the next morning. Trust me, If you actually did two sets to complete failure, with any weight, you will feel it in the morning.

I'd put DOMS as being after 12 hours man. DOMS is usually a bad pain that peaks around 36-48 hours and is a sign of lack of experience or overtraining.

@OP: When you work out, you're initially using stored up energy and then after that it all has to be produced. Your body, like anything else, produces waste and that is primarily lactic acid which makes you sore. The initial "soreness" you felt was fatigue/muscle exhaustion, which makes sense.

Being sore the next day means you've got repair still going on and there is probably some lactic acid around. Doing a dynamic warmup (jogging, lunges, etc) before you lift along with some light cardio combined with a strong static stretching program after you lift will greatly help you with this.

Also, make sure you're supplying your body with water to carry away/break down the lactic acid. Ensure you're eating properly because you will be in much more pain if you don't give your body the bricks to build new muscle with!

Gmedlo
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd put DOMS as being after 12 hours man. DOMS is usually a bad pain that peaks around 36-48 hours and is a sign of lack of experience or overtraining.

Well, he's doing a routine that isn't normal for him (does he sound like he's experienced?), and he's doing two sets to complete failure. I would say those fall under both of the categories you mentioned. And, realistically, unless he worked out before noon, the 12 hour time lapse wouldn't occur until he was asleep.

Kenny022593
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM

@OP: When you work out, you're initially using stored up energy and then after that it all has to be produced. Your body, like anything else, produces waste and that is primarily lactic acid which makes you sore. The initial "soreness" you felt was fatigue/muscle exhaustion, which makes sense.

Being sore the next day means you've got repair still going on and there is probably some lactic acid around. Doing a dynamic warmup (jogging, lunges, etc) before you lift along with some light cardio combined with a strong static stretching program after you lift will greatly help you with this.

Also, make sure you're supplying your body with water to carry away/break down the lactic acid. Ensure you're eating properly because you will be in much more pain if you don't give your body the bricks to build new muscle with!

I do jog before i lift weight and i do drink water i just eat "more" junk than i should along with the food i need. (not over weight i weigh 168 and im 15 5'11'')

Well, he's doing a routine that isn't normal for him (does he sound like he's experienced?), and he's doing two sets to complete failure. I would say those fall under both of the categories you mentioned. And, realistically, unless he worked out before noon, the 12 hour time lapse wouldn't occur until he was asleep.

I am decently experienced when i first started working out i had a personal trainer for three months so i learned alot

Gmedlo
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I do jog before i lift weight and i do drink water i just eat "more" junk than i should along with the food i need. (not over weight i weigh 168 and im 15 5'11'')

I am decently experienced when i first started working out i had a personal trainer for three months so i learned alot

In this context that's not what "experienced" is referring to; if you've only been doing this particular 2-sets to failure routine for a short period of time, you would be considered inexperienced in this context, as in it isn't something you've adapted to.

Anyway, just listen to xtremerunnerars, he knows what he is talking about.

Hot Sauce
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Man, I just pulled my tricep while during skullcrushers today. ****!

Voltron
09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
When i got homoe my muscles were no longer sore why is this? This might be the best spelling error I've seen on this forum all year. LOL

Oh yeah, back on topic, I agree with them and those guys on this uhhh, topic thing.

Hot Sauce
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
^No Homo?

Voltron
09-17-2008, 09:04 AM
^No Homo?

Maybe superstition can weigh in on this. :lol:

Kenny022593
09-17-2008, 03:58 PM
im homophobic if that is any consulation? lol

Rickson
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
You're confusing soreness with lactic acid buildup. Soreness takes place around 24 hours after an anaerobic workout and it comes from tiny tears in the muscles that have just been broken down. Lactic acid buildup takes place when working muscles are not getting as much oxygen as the energy they're expending. It's your body's way of saying slow down because we're thirsty for oxygen. Now you know the difference between muscle soreness and lactic acid buildup.

lawlitssoo1n
09-17-2008, 07:22 PM
They were probably tight, and now loosened up after the exercise. It may hurt tomorrow.

yea, always like dat for me too
the next day is when it kills me