PDA

View Full Version : Wilson K-Gut versus Wilson K-Gut Pro?

Dedans Penthouse
09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Would anyone be able to weigh in on the relative playing characteristics between Wilson K-Gut and Wilson K-Gut Pro? Yes, I've read comments about price (e.g. "for a little more, get gut"), but I'm really interested in reading any feedback about either of these strings; especially how they'd "play" in a stiff, heavy K-Factor Six-One 95 16x18 frame.

I know there was a thread not too long ago about "K-Gut" but I've been using the "Search" function looking for it--with no such luck.

ANY "K-Gut" feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stan
09-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Did you try searching using the advanced search features? Did you read the feedback section over in the TW online store?

Bad Dog
09-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Dedans,

I have played extensively with Wilson's K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, along with Babolat VS natural gut, in my racquets – a pair of Wilson’s PS 6.0 95 (and a couple of Volkl’s C10 Pro 98).

Summary of my impressions:

K-Gut Pro: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. However, to properly emulate pre-stretched natural gut, K-Gut Pro should be strung about 2 pounds lower. Possibly the sharpest, crispest string on the market, still relatively arm friendly.

K-Gut: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to NON-pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. To obtain results similar to natural gut, K-Gut should be strung about 3 (yes, three) pounds lower. Superlative ball pocketing. Very arm friendly. Very sharp and crisp similar to non-pre-stretched VS natural gut. Strung 3 pounds lower, I could tell almost no difference from Babolat VS natural gut.

My preference: K-Gut over K-Gut Pro. Why? For the same reason that I've preferred natural gut that has not been pre-stretched vigorously. [Pre-stretching tends to diminish ball pocketing qualities in natural gut as well.]

How to choose? If you are a baseliner who appreciates long power rallies that can go on forever, go for K-Gut at low/mid tension – and experience an ultimate tennis high – with the ball playing deep in the pocket. But if you prefer to serve and volley, you might prefer K-Gut Pro with marginally higher accuracy, while K-Gut has the highest comfort. Both K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are deemed “ultimate control” strings – and I found that to be absolutely true.

Why play K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, instead of Babolat VS natural gut? Major cost savings and resilience in damp conditions. I have bought all of the strings wholesale from TW, but in my area the labor cost to string natural gut is significantly higher than other strings, so I end up saving @ $25 or more by using multifilaments instead of VS. I also often play in high humidity, and sometimes when it drizzles – with K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, I have peace of mind.

Keifers
09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
^^^

Bad Dog,
Many thanks for your detailed comparison of these strings. I especially appreciated the distinction you drew between pre-stretched and non-pre-stretched.

Cheers to Dedans for starting this thread.

jim e
09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
K Gut Pro, a little more harsher of a string, more a stiff feel. I cut it out after one session hitting with it, so I cannot comment on how well it will retain its resilency.(Was strung at 56 lbs.)

K Gut , a little more softer. I normally hit with VS gut, at 64 lbs.(minimal pre stretch) , and needed a wet weather racquet to hit.(Although I am using this set up less in wet weather, as VS is holding up when it even gets a little wet) This string fit the purpose. Strung it at 56 lbs.
The K Gut has a better feel to me.

The K Gut seemed to lose its resilency only after a few hours hitting, but I am use to nat. gut and that is playable until it breaks.

Both do not have the power of nat. gut, but the K Gut does have somewhat similar feel. Do not expect it to hit the same as real gut, there is no such thing.

If you want to try them out, you may need to try both like I did to feel for yourself, on your preferences.

You asked for feedback on those who used them both, this is just my thoughts, yours may be different.

LubbockAg
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
K Gut Pro, a little more harsher of a string, more a stiff feel. I cut it out after one session hitting with it, so I cannot comment on how well it will retain its resilency.(Was strung at 56 lbs.)

K Gut , a little more softer. I normally hit with VS gut, at 64 lbs.(minimal pre stretch) , and needed a wet weather racquet to hit.(Although I am using this set up less in wet weather, as VS is holding up when it even gets a little wet) This string fit the purpose. Strung it at 56 lbs.
The K Gut has a better feel to me.

I second this opinion. I have played with both, using them as a cross with Lux ALU. This was what I felt as well. Both are great, but I prefer K-Gut. It is a little softer, a little more comfortable, and gives you a little more power. With Lux in the mains, I just prefer a little softer cross. HOWEVER, if you are talking a full set, I might actually go with K-Gut Pro. Tough call.

tennisfreak15347
09-16-2008, 05:17 PM
IMO, K-gut should only be used for people who want to use gut, but can't because of humid or wet conditions. K-gut isn't gut, but it's the closests to it. However, if your weather conditions permits it, just buy gut.

Dedans Penthouse
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
^^^

Bad Dog,
Many thanks for your detailed comparison of these strings. I especially appreciated the distinction you drew between pre-stretched and non-pre-stretched.

Cheers to Dedans for starting this thread.
I can only echo Keifers; thanks Bad Dog (and jim e, Lubbock and tennisfreak) for your help. Much appreciated folks. Bad Dog, your comments were even more valuable as you mentioned the Volkl C10 Pro as one of your racquets; I've played with the C10 for well over 10 years, until very recently (going to a stiff K-Factor Six-One 95).

Keifers, are you playing either of these strings?....or maybe thinking about making the switch? Thanks again folks.....and please feel free to add any additional info. thx.

goldenyama
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I have played with both, and found them both to be of the highest quality.

I would probably go with K-Gut Pro for a full job performance wise, or the K-Gut for comfort.

I now use nat gut, but I have settled on Kirschbaum Touch Multi as my string for dodgy weather. It is the best non-gut string I have ever used, and it stays playable a ridiculously long time.

I use the 1.25mm mains with syn gut or a soft poly in the x's. I give it just a TINY pre-stretch.

Amazing value at $120 for a 110m reel - it's almost like having a reel of nat gut:)

Fedace
09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Dedans,

I have played extensively with Wilson's K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, along with Babolat VS natural gut, in my racquets – a pair of Wilson’s PS 6.0 95 (and a couple of Volkl’s C10 Pro 98).

Summary of my impressions:

K-Gut Pro: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. However, to properly emulate pre-stretched natural gut, K-Gut Pro should be strung about 2 pounds lower. Possibly the sharpest, crispest string on the market, still relatively arm friendly.

K-Gut: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to NON-pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. To obtain results similar to natural gut, K-Gut should be strung about 3 (yes, three) pounds lower. Superlative ball pocketing. Very arm friendly. Very sharp and crisp similar to non-pre-stretched VS natural gut. Strung 3 pounds lower, I could tell almost no difference from Babolat VS natural gut.

My preference: K-Gut over K-Gut Pro. Why? For the same reason that I've preferred natural gut that has not been pre-stretched vigorously. [Pre-stretching tends to diminish ball pocketing qualities in natural gut as well.]

How to choose? If you are a baseliner who appreciates long power rallies that can go on forever, go for K-Gut at low/mid tension – and experience an ultimate tennis high – with the ball playing deep in the pocket. But if you prefer to serve and volley, you might prefer K-Gut Pro with marginally higher accuracy, while K-Gut has the highest comfort. Both K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are deemed “ultimate control” strings – and I found that to be absolutely true.

Why play K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, instead of Babolat VS natural gut? Major cost savings and resilience in damp conditions. I have bought all of the strings wholesale from TW, but in my area the labor cost to string natural gut is significantly higher than other strings, so I end up saving @ $25 or more by using multifilaments instead of VS. I also often play in high humidity, and sometimes when it drizzles – with K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, I have peace of mind.

One of the BEST reviews EVER in history of Tennis Warehouse talk Forum............Period. I agree that K-gut and pro gives you many of the playing characteristics of natural gut, but only short side is that K-gut doesn't grab the ball as well for spin. It seems like i get better spin with natural gut. but for the price difference, perhaps i can overlook that.:)

Keifers
09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I can only echo Keifers; thanks Bad Dog (and jim e, Lubbock and tennisfreak) for your help. Much appreciated folks. Bad Dog, your comments were even more valuable as you mentioned the Volkl C10 Pro as one of your racquets; I've played with the C10 for well over 10 years, until very recently (going to a stiff K-Factor Six-One 95).

Keifers, are you playing either of these strings?....or maybe thinking about making the switch? Thanks again folks.....and please feel free to add any additional info. thx.
Dedans,
I bought some K-Gut Pro 17/1.28 to try a few months ago, but now, after "tidying" my place up, I can't find them! :confused: :(

When I find it, I'll most likely try it full job, so Pro sounds like a better choice than regular K-Gut. I suppose I should try the regular too, some time, but $21.50 is kinda pricey, so may not get to it for a while. I've heard good things about both from a couple of buds who own a local tennis shop and are quite knowledgeable.

I'm using Dunlop AG100s these days. Right now, one is strung with TNT2 Pro Plus 17L/1.24 @ 55 lbs and the other Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17/1.25 @ 55 lbs. (Love these sticks! Also very fond of the PS 6.0 95. Don't own a C10 Pro, but have hit with it and regard it highly also.)

NoobWannabe
09-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Kinda off topic but I think prestretching strings kinda kills their playability...may be it's just me...

Dedans Penthouse
09-17-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm using Dunlop AG100s these days. Right now, one is strung with TNT2 Pro Plus 17L/1.24 @ 55 lbs and the other Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17/1.25 @ 55 lbs. (Love these sticks! Also very fond of the PS 6.0 95. Don't own a C10 Pro, but have hit with it and regard it highly also.)Keif, pssst....a pre-sale fyi: I will be putting up for sale in the near future, an AG100 that I bought on a whim (to try out) and which is practically new--played just once. If you'd like, I'd give you a heads up when I do.

Keifers
09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
^^^
Sure, let me know. kwpsp-tt at yahoo.com.