PDA

View Full Version : Racquet eats Head Rip Control 16ga - need more durability

gastro54
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey all,

I have been using the Prince TT Warrior OS with Head Rip Control 16g @ 62/62 and am breaking strings weekly - the crosses go first every time.

What strings would you recommend that are comfortable like the Head R.C., but have increased durability? I am willing to test out hybrids

Thanks
Alex

TheRed
09-16-2008, 06:26 AM
nothing out there. Rip control is the most durable soft string out there. if you string yourself, use gosen og micro in the mains and rip control in the crosses. or possibly tnt fat core and rip control in the crosses. same durability but cheaper

dabudabuda
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
If you like your RIP control, use string savers where you always break your cross string(like a 6x6 pattern, or circular pattern, whatever) AND switch your cross string to one of the softer solid core synthetics(maybe gosen micro, pro supex titan, forten sweet, etc...).

OR, you can give full Isospeed Control a try. I used to use RIP control and have found this to be a bit more durable at least for heavy topspin. If one ribbon frays on the RIP it is pretty much done for.

Multis aren't very durable but RIP and Isospeed are some of the more durable ones for a multi.

gastro54
09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions -

I'll try out some string savers and see where that gets me - hopefully it wont change the feel that much since I like the way RC hits (and how how cheap it is compared to other multifilaments)

I am stringing on a Gamma X-2, so I'll give the RC Ms/ syn gut Xs a try. I have a bunch of Gamma syn guts that were included in the X-2 gift pack... How should I handle tension with this setup?

A reel of Gosen 16g micro is coming in, so will try a hybrid with that stuff too.

dabudabuda
09-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Personally, I would drop the solid core synthetic cross by 3lbs(try 2lbs ;)) then go from there. But that's me, I prefer a lower tension cross. Drop it the next time if you want softer.