PDA

View Full Version : Just got a used 5 year old tennis tutor

firstblud
09-15-2008, 10:38 PM
apparently the owner didn't use it much and it looks pretty much new, aside from the loads of dust it collected.

i'm charging it right now and at first,

the smart charger was blinking yellow (meaning battery or charging failure)

then i unplugged the charger and plugged it back in... now the charger's yellow, while the tennis tutor battery indicator is red.

Can someone give me a run down of the battery indicator meanings? I dont have a manual.

Also, should i not waste time and buy some replacement batteries? what are the chances of my smart charger being broken?

summary:
tt indicator = RED
charger indicator = YELLOW

sometimes it's
tt indicator = RED
charger indicator = blinking YELLOW

actually i DONT have the smart charger below:
http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1901628reg.jpg

i guess i have an older model, but it does say "smart charger" on it.

Bolivian10s
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Your battery is probably dead, call ST and order the a replacement battery, it will have instructions and tools to help you and ask for a owners manual they should give that to you for free.

dak95_00
09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I killed a battery in my Tennis Tutor Jr. and purchased a new one at BatteriesPlus locally. I think it was under $25.

Mine turns yellow if I've used it a bunch and then green when it is charged.

firstblud
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
i read on another post here that it's easy to replace the battery myself, so I just went ahead and bought some "yuasa" brand batteries (now called enersys).

what other tools do i need other than a screwdriver?

Bolivian10s
09-16-2008, 12:06 PM
i read on another post here that it's easy to replace the battery myself, so I just went ahead and bought some "yuasa" brand batteries (now called enersys).

what other tools do i need other than a screwdriver?

Thats a good brand, make sure the battery connectors are the same size on the battery posts of your battery.

You'll need a 9/64 and a 5/32 allen wrench to open the case

firstblud
09-16-2008, 09:03 PM
i gave the old batteries about a 15 hour charge and tried it out today for about 150 balls worth (only had about 30 minutes before the lights go out at the courts). i was pleasantly surprised that it could handle 150 balls, let's hope it can handle 10 times as many now before i swap in the new batteries :p

on a side note, it was kind of embarassing trying to figure out how to configure it properly. at first the ball kept poppin out in the air, making loud bursting noise (apparently elevation too high).

Il Mostro
09-17-2008, 02:06 AM
It probably only needed a full charge. Nice find even if you have to replace the battery down the road. Enjoy and saluti!

dman72
09-17-2008, 02:39 AM
The battery can be replaced, but it took me over an hour to get the entire top off. Make sure that you have the right size allen wrenches. The problem with mine was that there was ONE, yes one, circular nut attached to one of the bolts that I had a dreadful time getting off because it was far inside the machine and I was working throught he ball feed hole. Not fun!!

firstblud
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
thanks for the feedback. i'm going to reference this topic when I perform the replacement :-)