PDA

View Full Version : recycling tennis balls in Montreal

topspin
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Anyone know of a place that does it?

I did a search and found a thread on the topic in general. I'm looking for something more local.

Dags
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
I give mine to a local dogs home. I've also heard that some schools take them - apparently they cut the ball in half and put them on the legs of chairs to stop that awful scraping sound when the furniture is moved.

If you can't find any dedicated recycling facilities, get creative!

volusiano
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Check out rebounces.com. They're based in the US, but maybe they will take balls from Canada. The idea is you email them that you have old balls to send, and they email you prepaid FedEx shipping labels to send the balls to them. What they do is recharge the balls that are still good enough for reuse and resell them. And they recycle the rest.

onehandbh
09-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I just checked out the rebounces.com website. Good in concept but
**WAY** overpriced. They are charging $30 for 50 balls.
The local stores are charging LESS than that for new balls.

yodudedudeyo
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I usually just do a little homerun derby with my old balls over the fence and let mother nature deal with it.

rabidturtle
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
I usually just do a little homerun derby with my old balls over the fence and let mother nature deal with it.

Amen to that!

onehandbh
09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Amen to that!

Rabidturtle & yodudedudeyo,

And how do you think mother nature deals with it?

volusiano
09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I just checked out the rebounces.com website. Good in concept but
**WAY** overpriced. They are charging $30 for 50 balls.
The local stores are charging LESS than that for new balls.

Yep, I noticed that, too. That's 60 cents for a used ball. You can buy brand new balls when they're on sale for about 50 cents a ball at the local stores. Even without a sale, you can buy a new can of 3 balls at Walmart for about $1.89.

I don't see how they can get any business with that kind of price model. It should be priced at around 25 cents per ball before people will even consider it. And they claim on their website that their balls are at a fraction of the cost of new balls. NOT!!! They're either smoking dope or should go to business school first.

They should also consider giving purchase credits to people who send them their used balls for free to recycle. I hate the idea of giving them my used balls away for free. But I hate the idea of throwing my used balls away in the trash even more. So they're lucky the greenness in me won over.

I see people try to sell used balls on e bay, too. I could've done that, too, I guess. But I just don't want to go through the trouble. If they can find ways to recycle my balls, they can have them.