PDA

View Full Version : Best exercises for the shoulders

Eph
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
What are the best exercises for tennis to strengthen the shoulders and around?

wao
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
What are the best exercises for tennis to strengthen the shoulders and around? IMO there are multiple. Seated press, Front and Side laterial raises, the standard rotator exercise. I would also work on my Lat's and chest for the shoulder. If you lift all the parts you could incorporate this into your workout. I had a tear in my rotator that was surgercially repaired and above some of the above I added into my workout. You need to build strength but do not forget you also need flexability.

Eph
09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Do you play the same days you work out? Any effect?

Kenny022593
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Im not sure what the exercise is called wao mightve mentioned it (latieal raises) but you get the dumb bells and raise your arms in front of you to a 90 degree angle then do it on the sides of you

sawedust
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Arnold presses are usually considered the king of shoulder exercises.

Alternating front and side DB raises are good too.

cncretecwbo
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
the best is the press. which is a standing overhead press with a barbell or dumbells. standing > seated imo

10sfreak
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
^^^I like seated presses better - you can't "cheat" the weight up the way you can while standing.
OP - do 3 sets each of db presses(overall shoulder muscles), db laterals(targets mostly the lateral, or side, deltoid muscles) and bent-over db laterals (for the rear, or posterior deltoid muscles).
I'm assuming that you also do both pressing movements for the chest and pulling movements for your back muscles. In that case, you won't really need to do any front db raises - your front, or anterior, delts get plenty of stimulation when doing presses for the chest.

cncretecwbo
09-18-2008, 08:10 AM
^^^I like seated presses better - you can't "cheat" the weight up the way you can while standing.
OP - do 3 sets each of db presses(overall shoulder muscles), db laterals(targets mostly the lateral, or side, deltoid muscles) and bent-over db laterals (for the rear, or posterior deltoid muscles).
I'm assuming that you also do both pressing movements for the chest and pulling movements for your back muscles. In that case, you won't really need to do any front db raises - your front, or anterior, delts get plenty of stimulation when doing presses for the chest.

push presses are probably better for tennis anyway.

wyutani
09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
shoulder massage?

push ups, pull ups. do it until you hear a crak on the shoulders.

Eph
09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Do you work out and play tennis on the same day?

GPB
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Do you work out and play tennis on the same day?

Sure, if you feel like it. Maybe not a competitive game, but just to practice or have fun... why not!