PDA

View Full Version : Why are you in the forum?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
1.Why do you participate in this forum?

2.How did it happen that you started ?

3.Did you notice that most of participants are in "General Pro Player Discussion" part what is the least helpful for us amateurs. Does it mean that we are so narrow-minded ?

raftermania
02-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Not too many savvy **********s in Canada, TW has a great thing going on here to bring the world's **********s together in peace and war

My friend Chris (not TW chris) got me into it.

3.Did you notice that most of participants are in "General Pro Player Discussion" part what is the least helpful for us amateurs. Does it mean that we are so narrow-minded ?
On the contrary, users want to talk about other people which makes them open minded. However, whether or not their opinions are "narrow-minded" is arguable.

4.Who is the biggest chick magnet in Azerbaijan, Baku?
Aykhan Mammadov of course

And now a question for you Aykhan...

I just checked out your profile... You string your raquet at 28 lbs.? Don't you mean kilograms???

ps... Who is the biggest chick magnet in Canada???

Noelle
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Certainly not to offer tennis tips. I'm more of a comment person, but if I have questions about tennis, I like asking them on this board because people here are very knowledgeable. :)

2.How did it happen that you started?
You know what, I've been here since October but I absolutely cannot remember how I got here.

3.Did you notice that most of participants are in "General Pro Player Discussion" part what is the least helpful for us amateurs. Does it mean that we are so narrow-minded?
Yes, I did notice that, but I don't think it means we're narrowminded. I think it means that the pro tours are a big part of what tennis means to us and to most people.

Frodo Baggins
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Cause theres not much going on so I come here...N/M me just a tired Hobbit..

court_zone
02-04-2005, 02:57 PM
To learn some more things about the equipment, pros, and tips, etc.

2.How did it happen that you started?
Bought some gear from here and noticed the message board.

3.Did you notice that most of participants are in "General Pro Player Discussion" part what is the least helpful for us amateurs?
Yes I did

Does it mean that we are so narrow-minded?

The reason they joined the forums was just to know about the pros, but there are also many others who post in all the categories.

tykrum
02-04-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't have many friends that are freaks about tennis like I am, and I can't talk to the three friends that are all the time.

About four or five years ago when I first found TW (when I was buying my first decent racquet, Prince Ti Response), I saw they had a message board and had it bookmarked ever since.

Have to agree with raftermania on this one, I think that people like to talk about what they don't have and have never experinced. Imagination and speculation are two very easy topics for people to elaborate on.

Gaines Hillix
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Was looking for information about stringing and stringing machines and ended up here 4 or 5 years ago on the old board. I've learned a lot from the other board members and enjoy sharing information with others and experimenting with racquets and strings. I hardly ever participate in the General Pro Player Discussion. Too much opinion and pure speculation for my taste. Guess I prefer the more technical boards. :-)

Power Game
02-04-2005, 07:02 PM
To get better at tennis, learn about strings and stringing, some racquet help....

chad shaver
02-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I come here for the warm, fuzzy cyber-hugs....:)

Kirko
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
love tennis and talking about it. I've learned alot by being here.

gmlasam
02-04-2005, 08:22 PM
I come to the forum for info, and for laughs and amusment ;)

Kaptain Karl
02-04-2005, 11:52 PM
1.Why do you participate in this forum? I like tennis -- and am in an area somewhat "ignored" by the USTA -- so I come here.

2.How did it happen that you started? I Googled "forums tennis." Initially, I joined a different forum ... it was lame ... I found this one....

3.Did you notice that most of participants are in "General Pro Player Discussion?" Nope. Until you pointed it out, I hadn't a clue....
Does it mean that we are so narrow-minded?Huh!!???

- KK

AndrewD
02-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm getting back into playing tennis, needed some advice in regard to a new racquet and live in a part of Australia that doesn't have much in the way of demo facilities. So, here I can get a good range of opinions about frames I might like to us. Plus, my girlfriend doesnt care much for tennis so its nice to chat about it with people who do.

Saw the forum when I checked out the TW site.

Not at all. I think there are more in that section as more people want to just chat about the game and the players rather than strings, racquets or other technical things. People in the other sections just have a different interest, might be a bit older or might be a bit more into playing than the pro game. Nothing wrong with either and Im sure there's a lot of cross-over.

Max G.
02-05-2005, 02:53 AM

To talk about tennis! And listen about tennis. Talking can be done to people who don't care, but here people actually SAY things.

Linked here from tennisserver.com , got hooked.

Well, I recently have been mostly checking that section - I don't come here to learn about useful things, I just want to chill and talk about ATP pros. Which is found in the general pro player talk.

dennis1188
02-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Just waiting up for my teenager to come home tonite.
Also, it's better than the current very ugly discussion on the player's discussion forum, which consists of a posting with a objection to Safin speaking Spanish during last weeks the AO final .
It has now over 2600 views in the last week and approx. 100 replies , it's similar, to viewing a terrible train wreck, this sort of attitude just reflects the bad side of folks.
I thought the TW admin folks could hv scraped the discussion.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Not too many savvy **********s in Canada, TW has a great thing going on here to bring the world's **********s together in peace and war

My friend Chris (not TW chris) got me into it.

On the contrary, users want to talk about other people which makes them open minded. However, whether or not their opinions are "narrow-minded" is arguable.

4.Who is the biggest chick magnet in Azerbaijan, Baku?
Aykhan Mammadov of course

And now a question for you Aykhan...

I just checked out your profile... You string your raquet at 28 lbs.? Don't you mean kilograms???

ps... Who is the biggest chick magnet in Canada???

Raftermania, thank you. I have just updated my profile. 28 kg, of course, 60 lbs. By the way I changed racquet from Head I.Prestige to Wilson PS Tour 90. The first one after appr. 3 years of training brought something like tennis elbow. I think it is really stiff.

The biggest chick magnet in Canada - of course, Raftermania.

tennis-n-sc
02-05-2005, 05:26 AM
There is some excellent humor here, which I love. I enjoy the comments from those from countries. Occasionally, there is some topic to which I can actually offer some expertise. Also, it reminds me of when I was young and surrounded by 12 year olds!

bc-05
02-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Coz i love each and everyone of u here ;)

I was looking at the ATP website and it says if you want to buy ATP players equipment go to TW and I saw the message board.

I'm to ADD to understand this question :(

4.Who is the biggest chick magnet?
You're looking at 1 now lol

gmlasam
02-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Coz i love each and everyone of u here ;)

Oh yea??? Show me your love!!! :)

bc-05
02-05-2005, 08:04 AM
i love u...

raftermania
02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
oh this is getting hott.

SteveI
02-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey there,

I come to this board for all the excellent info and to keep from hanging myself during our 6 months of winter... my tennis FIX to be sure.

Enjoy and happy hitting!

Steve

Kaptain Karl
02-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Whew! Sanity returns.... (Thanks, SteveI.)

- KK

Morpheus
02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
This is the only place where I can find people more screwed up than me. Sort of like the place you go where everyone knows your name, with just as many wackos. ;)

bc-05
02-05-2005, 11:38 AM
sorry! i have to write more than 10 words

Noelle
02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Cheers, Morpheus.

gmlasam
02-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Noelle,

Did you use a webcam to take a pic of your profile?

Morpheus
02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Noelle,

She lives in TV land. Quite a colorful place, but a little two dimensional for my tastes.

Frodo Baggins
02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Morpheus,Morpheus,Morpheus if noelle is not by your taste How bout a cuute little hobbit like me:) Except for one thing Wipe the name off your brow..Call me;)...

Noelle
02-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Noelle,

She lives in TV land. Quite a colorful place, but a little two dimensional for my tastes.

gmlasam, I used a low-tech digicam, that's why the pic is bad. :)

Morpheus, it's not my fault cable channels show strange 80's sitcoms in the early evenings. Otherwise I wouldn't have caught that pop-culture reference. :D

Mahboob Khan
02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
When I share my tennis knowledge with other friends here, I am strengthening my own.

It is a good outlet for me to share my mind with others, and also learn their perspective on things.

I am married to this boad for about 8 years!

gmlasam
02-06-2005, 06:21 PM
When I share my tennis knowledge with other friends here, I am strengthening my own.

It is a good outlet for me to share my mind with others, and also learn their perspective on things.

I am married to this boad for about 8 years!Have you always had the same name in the old messageboards also?

I've started posting in TW messageboard since 98.

Brian Purdie
02-06-2005, 08:41 PM
excellent question!

inside info on pros and clothes. didn't we know about Pete's baby 2 days before everyone else? Don't we know where to find any peice of equipment in the game?

Sometimes I see stuff on TV and I'm not sure what's going on. The commentators aren't really great at explaining why certain things are going on because they don't want to offend anyone.

raftermania
02-06-2005, 09:38 PM

Haha, are you thinking of having children??? Your coaching skill + the comprehensive tennis knowledge of this board = one crazy tennis prodigy. Agassi's kid got 125,000 to 1 or something to win Wimbledon - this baby would have odds of 1:1.

jayserinos99
02-07-2005, 09:12 AM

1. To pass time mainly.
2. I think I needed help with a particular racquet or string selection.
3. I don't go into the Pro Player Discussion much to answer this question.

fan_of_reds
02-07-2005, 10:24 AM

1. Because I finally found an interesting tennis website, one which that has members that can answer questions.

2. A friend of mine recommended this site as I was looking into finally buying a new racquet (or two...or three... :| )

3. I'm pretty sure this sentence doesn't make much sense as it is worded...but if I interpret it correctly, I really have no interest in the "GPPD" section...even though I do pay some attention to the pros and their gear...

Aykhan Mammadov
02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
fan of reds, I read your signature and didn't understand it. Exactly, I understand why did you like it, but there is not an irony or ambiguity in that sentence of Einstein. Because he was not a mathematician but physician and really didn't know much in mathematics. As you probably know ( or pehraps don't know) mathematical foundation of Relativity theory was given before him by Anry Poincare, the genious french mathematician who founded some basis of modern differential topology, field of mathematics.

If those words were pronounced say by Isaak Newton or say Gauss, or say Gilbert they would look really as joke. But there is not any nice point if for example a medician or tennis-player says that he is not strong in mathematics. He must not be !!

I really appreciate that you wanted to write this signature because it seemed you attractive.

fan_of_reds
02-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Aykhan Mammadov,
While your post certainly made me think for a minute, I respectfully disagree... Yes, Einstein was a physicist (and not a physician (aka doctor)), but I don't think you can be a physicist without a strong foundation in mathematics, and I am positive that Einstein was incredibly talented in mathematics as well, even if he based a lot of his work on others...

As such, I like the quote because I am a mathematics/computer science major (applying for math PhD) and it applies to me in that I get annoyed when I hear people complaining about simple math... Even things like "it's too hard to keep track of the score in set...or this was 10 dollars and it's on sale for 50% off, how much do I save?"... For that reason, I like Einstein's quote...plus the initial irony of it of course, clever quotes are always nice.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-07-2005, 01:13 PM
O-h my English is really weak, this is my 3-d language.

No, no, fan of reds, you don't understand. The happiness of physicist always was that they didn't know mathematics. Otherwise how they could invent absurd theories about surrounding nature based on hypothesis rather than on strict mathematical theories. Mathematicians think in categories based on what they can PROVE. Did you ever see strict proof in physics ?

And conversely, never mathematicians can go deep in physics ( except Newton) and invent there something phenomenal, no physicist can understand limits of categories by which mathematicians think.

If you know Relativity theory doesn't use serious mathematical instruments. Lorenz scalar product and Lorenz spaces, tensor calculas or what we call linear algebra. Functional analysis came to Quantum theory later, after Einstein.

As future mathematician you can find some thesis of a mathematician for your signature. Isn't ?

fan_of_reds
02-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Point well taken Aykhan Mammadov... I'll look for a new quote for my signature soon...(I have a few ideas)... Obviously, I do not know much of anything about physics...but I think I understand what you are trying to say.

I am curious though, why do you have such a (seemingly) interest in physics and mathematics?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Simple answer: I'm the doctor of mathematics. It is a degree, it can't be former. But I'm former mathematician changed completely his profession.

Why ? Simple answer: I like beautiful women, beautiful cars, tennis, life and etc. much more than f-ig Mittag-Leffler theorem of complex analysis, Z-function of Riman or f-ed K-theory of Grothendig and others. Sorry for that. Did you know by the way that the guy participated with me on olympiad games - Perelman seems proved Poincare theorem about 3-dimensional sphere ?

By the way for you will be interesting to go to site racquetresearch.com

Noelle
02-07-2005, 06:27 PM
My brain has just exploded. :D

fan_of_reds
02-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Thank you for the link to a very interesting website...If I had only found the website a few weeks earlier, perhaps I could have made a much more interesting colloquium speech for next week... Anyhow, I find that site to be quite interesting, especially since it claims the two-handed forehand has some advantages-something I tend to agree with...(probably from my baseball upbringing!) :mrgreen:

Kaptain Karl
02-08-2005, 07:59 AM
[Unable to cope any longer, KK runs screaming into the woods, living on grubs and berries.]

You may see him drooling and muttering something about the evils of mixing too much science with art. Give him a wide berth and he's perfectly harmless....

- KK

K. Wilson Moose
02-08-2005, 04:16 PM

I must know when Ben is going to order overgrips and shoes.

I heard Ben was here.

No, us open-minded folks only look for posts by Ben.

Camilio Pascual
02-09-2005, 04:20 AM

Oh, Mahboob, I am LMAO!!!
Did you mean broad or board? LOL!!!

Mahboob Khan
02-10-2005, 08:42 AM
I guess, I started writing in 1999 under the name of Mahboob Khan. This is my real name.

Those of you who have not seen my article on Volley can do so now. Please visit: www.procomparetennis.net. The article is free to read, but to view the hitting sequencings of the Pros and to see the video clips you have to be a member. I am a member too. For $40 a year it is not a bad deal. I find this website better than tennisone.com because I can easily print out the hitting sequencings and discuss them with my students oncourt. Plus they have greater collection of WTA and ATP players. My students love the hitting sequencings of their favourite players.

bismark
02-11-2005, 04:17 AM

1. Why? So I can get ALL the information I need in one single forum! For example: Tennis, Equipment, Sports, World Politics, Social and Economic Issues, The Evils of Capitalism, Greedy Manufacturers, Ego and Self-Righteousness, Political Correctness, Racism, Adolescents and Hormones, Trolling 101, Hobbits 102, USA versus Rest of the World, The Merits and Demerits of Donations for the Poor and Helpless Needy, and so forth.

Some posts are good, some posts are bad, and some are just confusing and gibberish; like the one about Aykhan's Brasil Open.

2. I came across TW message board by chance back in year 2000. Incidentally, I was seeking information about Brasil Open.

3. I don't quite understand this question. It's just as confusing as the one about Brasil Open.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Bismark,

In that thread there were not questions. That was joke intended to force some peoples to smile, some to joke and some to believe and become confused. But in that thread to my surprising some peoples appeared who started to blame me and I just started to understand why. Maybe they so seriously wanted among them ( at this forum) to have some PRO playing among 32 at some major tournament that they were completely disappointed that my thread is not truth.

Just don't be so serious here, we are not at final and can't lose 0.5 million $.

bismark
02-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Arkhan

Hey chill out bro. I'm kidding as well. Do call me when Azerbaijan Open comes to town. Have a nice day.