PDA

View Full Version : need a nat gut recommendation

Mbautista
09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
something that holds up and has a rep for lasting pretty long. I'd also like it to have great playability. I'm not a regular string breaker but I have snapped a few strings in the past. This will be my first natural gut stringjob.

tennisfreak15347
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
pretty much all natural gut holds up really good and has great playability. However, from looking around the boards, most people find distinction between three main natural guts. Babolat VS gut, Babolat Tonic, and Klip Legend. Babolat Tonic is just inferior VS gut with some blemishes and inconsistent guages, but is also cheaper. the different between VS gut and Klip Legend is that ( I think) Klip Legend has a bit more synthetic coating, so it is slightly more durable and lower powered than VS gut. VS gut is the best of the best. It is higher powered compared to klip, and is the golden standard.

nCode747
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
any 16 gauge gut will do with some string savers

PROTENNIS63
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Pacific Tough Gut or Babolat VS.

aleexxxxx
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
what about wilson natural gut?

Valjean
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Wilson's is actually made by Babolat and performs close to their Babolat VS series.

I recommend you go up a gauge from what you are used to when choosing any of the more "playable" guts such as Babolat's VS and/or BDE's Performance, and then just add in string savers. That should do you fine.

If you'd like a cautious approach too, that would mean just putting your gut in the mains the first time you try it. Babolat's VS is sold in half sets too here at TW.

tennisfreak15347
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
what about wilson natural gut?

thats the same as babolat VS gut. babolat produces Wilson Natural gut, but some argue that babolat gives wilson their inferior gut.

supertrex
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
is it ok to use Nat Gat in hot weather? like here in Florida? or they wont last long.

tennisfreak15347
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Use Babolat VS gut, as I think they have more " thermo" protection or whatnot. It's okay in hot weather, just make sure that it's not too humid and it doesnt get wet.

fastdunn
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I use value guts, at ~$25 range: Babolat Tonic+, Pacific classic, Klip legend.

I usually played 17 gauge synthetics but I use 16 gauge gut because their playability is good enough. (as Valjean mentioned).

Tonic+ is the most powerful, legend is most crisp, classic is somewhere in the middle. All of these value guts seem very good for me (only marginal difference with premium guts).

jim e
09-16-2008, 04:44 PM
You can hit with nat. gut in humid weather, as I have over and over. That does not seem to be a problem.
I think that the damp issue is overstated, as I even hit with the VS gut in a light drizzle of rain a # of times and the string still held up for a great period of time afterwords. (I am not much of a string breaker, relatively flat ball hitter).We had a lot of wet weather here this past summer, and after a while I said the heck with it and hit anyways, so the strings got a little wet.
When the strings got a little wet, after hitting with it, I usually sprinkled some baby powder over the strings to absorb any moisture,(put the cover over it and shook the powder around).
I am curious, anyone else here hit with VS in a light drizzle a few times as well, as I did not see any problem with it?

Mbautista
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I was looking at klip strings and I noticed some say, "uncoated"? what are some of the strings exactly coated with? and what does it do

jim e
09-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I was looking at klip strings and I noticed some say, "uncoated"? what are some of the strings exactly coated with? and what does it do

The coating does make the installation of the strings much easier, in comparison to years ago with out any at all, as it kept the string from untwisting. Now you don't need to watch that as much when stringing.
It seems to keep it from fraying as quick, although it still will in time, but still plays well for a great time after the fraying starts.
Also it gives the string some moisture protection, but I am hitting more with the VS gut when it is damp, even when the strings are fraying, and it does not seem to be a problem. As I stated earlier, I think the moisture problem with gut is overstated, as long as you don't keep the strings soaked in water.