PDA

View Full Version : Tempurpedic Mattress?

Sticklacer
09-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have one?
What do you think?

Is the sleep number mattress better?

Thx

AR15
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I have one.

I love it.

I'll never go back to a spring mattress.

Is the sleep number better? Don't know. Isn't it just an air mattress with a Tempur-Pedic like memory foam on top?

albino smurf
09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
over stuffed futon for life for this dude

El Diablo
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
These mattresses are not hard to find....perhaps you should lay on both before you decide.

volusiano
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I have the Tempurpedic. Don't have the SleepNumber so don't know anything about it.

The Tempurpedic is nice. But if you watch a lot of its infomercial, you may get oversold that when you actually get to sleep on one, it may not live up to the hype. Don't get me wrong. It's still a very nice mattress. But if you expect miraculouse space-aged weightlessness sensation and all that stuff they try to sell you on TV, you might want to bring your expectation down to earth a little bit.

I didn't buy mine from the stores at retail price. I bought mine from the big auction site for less than half the price (still new but not in original mfg box). So for that lower price, it was a justifiable purchase for me.

LuckyR
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have one?
What do you think?

Is the sleep number mattress better?

Thx

Noone can tell you what you are going to prefer. A common complaint about memory foam is that it feels great when you are in one position (since it molds to your body shape), but that when you shift position, it is like you are sleeping in a trench (since it is molded to your previous body position).

See what you think. Me? I have a memory foam pillow, but don't like the mattresses.

Boxofweasels
09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I have the memory foam for my pillow but the number bed for my mattress. The memory foam holds a lot of body heat - great for the Winter but in the Summer not so nice.

volusiano
09-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Noone can tell you what you are going to prefer. A common complaint about memory foam is that it feels great when you are in one position (since it molds to your body shape), but that when you shift position, it is like you are sleeping in a trench (since it is molded to your previous body position).

This may be true for some other cheaper type foam , or maybe those with an extra plush pillow top type cushion built-in on top of the mattress.

But the Tempurpedic model I have has a firm base, and the softer top is only about 2" thick. So you're never really "sunk in" that much. There's no problem changing sleep positions at all. The memory in the foam is very fast changing. The second the pressure point is gone, the memory in the foam is lost right away and the foam bounces back flat right away. And the new memory is formed at the new pressure point right away.

If anything, I think an airbed would have more of this problem. Especially if there's not enough air to keep the mattress firm enough.

Morpheus
09-20-2008, 05:24 AM
I hate air mattresses. When you add more firmness, it just pumps air in and then the mattress tends to crown. If you take air out to make is softer, it sags in the middle. Definitely not for me.

volusiano
09-20-2008, 05:31 AM
I have the memory foam for my pillow but the number bed for my mattress. The memory foam holds a lot of body heat - great for the Winter but in the Summer not so nice.

The heat problem in the summer time used to exist before. So what Tempurpedic did in the newer model is to create what they call a dual air flow system at the base of the mattress to provide 2 layers of air space to draw cooler air inside and ventilate the heat away. This layer of air space basically looks like the surface of the bottom of an egg carton. So they stack 2 pieces of base foam with this top surface one on top of the other, then another flat piece of base foam, and finally the soft foam layer at the very top (that molds to your body).

In the summer time, with my thermostat set at 80F and a ceiling fan set on low, I don't have a heat problem with the mattress.

LuckyR
09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
This may be true for some other cheaper type foam , or maybe those with an extra plush pillow top type cushion built-in on top of the mattress.

But the Tempurpedic model I have has a firm base, and the softer top is only about 2" thick. So you're never really "sunk in" that much. There's no problem changing sleep positions at all. The memory in the foam is very fast changing. The second the pressure point is gone, the memory in the foam is lost right away and the foam bounces back flat right away. And the new memory is formed at the new pressure point right away.

If anything, I think an airbed would have more of this problem. Especially if there's not enough air to keep the mattress firm enough.

Glad you like it, but your opinion is not universal.

Ronaldo
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
There was an earlier thread on this type of mattress, http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94293&highlight=memory+foam

james freund
09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello! I work for Select Comfort, and we as a company are very interested in what our customers [and potential customers] have to say about our bed, and beds in general. Hope you all don't mind if I pipe in a a bit!

A forum such as this is a great resource when making a decision regarding such a large purchase, and we're thankful for the kind words some of you had to say about the Sleep Number beds.

I'm not in sales, so I'm not here to sell you bed, but just to let you know that on Sunday, September 28th were launching a bed that could solve your shopping dilemma. Its the only memory foam bed with Sleep Number adjustability. We're calling it the Sleep Number Memory Foam Bed and it features a three inch layer Memory Foam on top of our Air Chambers. There's an article at our website, beds.com/blog, where we crow a little about the rollout and collected feedback from some members of the press as they tried the bed at a New York event. Here's a link http://www.beds.com/blog/?p=133. At beds.com, we also have a space called "share the love" where bed owners have shared their stories with us. I invite you to check it out!

Happy shopping!

James Freund
Select Comfort Customer Service
I'm a 40!

swedechris
09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
great product .. makes for a good nights shuteye.. got mine a few years ago after first trying out the pillow.. also a great product . good luck with it.:)

topspin
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd just go with a full 100% foam mattress or latex. I did extensive research on mattresses a few years ago and found that most brand name mattresses are really over hyped and over priced. Most have a pillow top and that a layer of foam. So just get foam and forget the springs or gimmicks. You can get it in any size you want and also select your compression and density. Compression should be based on your weight and comfort needs and density will determine the duration of the mattress.