PDA

View Full Version : I swear I am staying with the lower tension this time

Fletch
09-16-2008, 08:14 PM
After getting back from the US Open and watching the pros play I came to the realization that I have to string my rackets looser. Watching the racket head speed of the pros I also realized that most of the population should probably not be playing with poly strings. I think in order to get maximum playability and appreciation from these strings you really need to have very fast racket head speed. Not sure if everyone else feels this way. I play with a PD+ and was stringing ALU at 74, and now I am at 64 and it feels great. Serves are much faster, volleys are deeper with better feel around the net, and I just have to keep up the racket speed at the baseline and the balls shouldn't fly on me.
Anyway not really sure why I am posting this just looking for a support group on this subject. If I go back to high tensions, please have an intervention with me. :twisted:
A new member of HTA (High tension anonymous) :)

RakettoKozou
09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Dang... 74? You one crazy man.

pow
09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
After getting back from the US Open and watching the pros play I came to the realization that I have to string my rackets looser. Watching the racket head speed of the pros I also realized that most of the population should probably not be playing with poly strings. I think in order to get maximum playability and appreciation from these strings you really need to have very fast racket head speed. Not sure if everyone else feels this way. I play with a PD+ and was stringing ALU at 74, and now I am at 64 and it feels great. Serves are much faster, volleys are deeper with better feel around the net, and I just have to keep up the racket speed at the baseline and the balls shouldn't fly on me.
Anyway not really sure why I am posting this just looking for a support group on this subject. If I go back to high tensions, please have an intervention with me. :twisted:
A new member of HTA (High tension anonymous) :)

You're definitely in the minority when you strung poly at 74, tight poly in a PD is asking for arm trouble and/or a cracked PD. Sampras strung his gut high and he had it around 70, poly and gut definitely should not be strung at the same tension, even at 64 the tension is high for a poly.

Fletch
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Dang... 74? You one crazy man.

You're definitely in the minority when you strung poly at 74, tight poly in a PD is asking for arm trouble and/or a cracked PD. Sampras strung his gut high and he had it around 70, poly and gut definitely should not be strung at the same tension, even at 64 the tension is high for a poly.

I know I know, this is why the support group. I have tried to come down but just always go back up after an outing or two. Watching the pros I think convinced me. I would like to try one in the upper 50's just to see what happens. If anything it will make 64 seem tight:)
The toughest part with loose string seems to be the ball that lands just inside the baseline and you have to pick it up off your feet, I don't have a lot of control with that shot yet. I just have to somehow come over the ball.
You can hit backspin so much easier, it actually penetrates the court for a change instead of sitting up.

Never the arm problem you would think I would have, I guess I have pretty good form. But I do get a soar shoulder or elbow every once in awhile, not enough to stop playing though.

I swear I am staying in the low 60's. :wink:

pow
09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
I know I know, this is why the support group. I have tried to come down but just always go back up after an outing or two. Watching the pros I think convinced me. I would like to try one in the upper 50's just to see what happens. If anything it will make 64 seem tight:)
The toughest part with loose string seems to be the ball that lands just inside the baseline and you have to pick it up off your feet, I don't have a lot of control with that shot yet. I just have to somehow come over the ball.
You can hit backspin so much easier, it actually penetrates the court for a change instead of sitting up.

Never the arm problem you would think I would have, I guess I have pretty good form. But I do get a soar shoulder or elbow every once in awhile, not enough to stop playing though.

Watching the pros convinced you to lower then tension on your strings?
It's usually the other way around.

bluescreen
09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
low 60's isnt exactly a "low" tension. one of my friends went from strings at 65 to 51 and loved it. he swings very quickly though and uses a lot of topspin.

just experiment. the worse that can happen is u dont like it.

Fletch
09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Watching the pros convinced you to lower then tension on your strings?
It's usually the other way around.

I guess watching the compression of the ball on the strings. I know they swing much faster than I do so it would compress more anyway, but from what I have read on this forum, most pros string poly in the 50's.
I feel like you can manupulate your shots more with lower tension, I feel like I can dip the return in doubles with topspin. And when pulled wide on a shot and I need some power from a unbalance stance, I can hit with a little more athority.
Lets hope its not all mental:confused:

low 60's isnt exactly a "low" tension. one of my friends went from strings at 65 to 51 and loved it. he swings very quickly though and uses a lot of topspin.

just experiment. the worse that can happen is u dont like it.

I know, I will. Baby steps on the tension. Hey, I dropped it 10 lbs! I will try getting it in the mid to low 50's you are right, I will just be out the cost of the string since I do it myself.

Its odd that I seemed to pick up so much pace on my serve. But then you think of the two biggest servers over the last 10 years, Sampras and Roddick, and they string extremely high, does that make sense??:confused:

2nd_Serve
09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Man. Poly at 74. That's insane.

Ljubicic for number1
09-17-2008, 12:41 AM
You could see the ball compress on the strings with your bare eyes in person? you have a gift!!!!!!!

baek57
09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
i've been dropping tension every string job. i'm at 38 now... i wonder how much lower i can go.

pow
09-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Stringing lower = more power
which explains your faster serves.

i've been dropping tension every string job. i'm at 38 now... i wonder how much lower i can go.

String your next racquet by hand and no machine. That's when you know you've gone low enough.

Power Player
09-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Wow..a poly at 70+ is insanity. I like tight strings, but I have mine at 55 in the mains and Synth at 60 in the crosses.

You may like that hybrid setup.

nickb
09-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Ouch....

You really shouldnt have to string that tight....try hitting with more spin. No need to go over 60 with that string.

I have one of my aeropro drives strung at 53 and I have no control issues.

goldenyama
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
ALU...74lbs...PD...OOUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!!!:shock:

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
do you hit completely flat, or with alot of topspin? I think I'd literally have to get a running momentum and leap into the ball to get my racquet going at 74lbs :lol:

CHOcobo
09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
man if you need that high tension and still want more control. you need practice. haha.

samster
09-22-2008, 07:26 PM
my elbow and shoulder ache just reading this thread. where's the ice, man?

0range
09-22-2008, 07:52 PM

It's not that with lower tension you lose control (60's is not that low at all), it's about getting used to hitting with a different tension.

Btw Gasquet string his racquet in mid (sometimes low) 50's.

TheShaun
09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
i string 52 mains and 55 crosses.

AznRamenDude
09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
the fact that you still have an arm after hitting with a poly at 74 is amazing :shock:

ever concider arm wrestling for money? :)

rchang730
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
74 wow...that's nuts. I feel my shoulder dislocating now.

I think Nalbandian gets his strung in the mid 40s.

phucng_10
09-22-2008, 10:47 PM
74.. my friend strung his MFil 200 @ 70 and I hated it already. How can players play with such a arm breaking tension? :neutral:

T10s747
09-23-2008, 06:29 AM
ALU should be strung at 48-55 lbs a most. Many people string ALU at more than 60lbs. nd it feellike a board and loses much of it's power, IMO.

JediMindTrick
09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Most pros string in the low 50s, so you have to drop another 10 lbs.

supermario343
09-23-2008, 08:20 AM
haha 74 damn...you must have a beastly forearm :-P

revolutionary technique
09-25-2008, 03:49 PM
I never knew that people string their rackets soo low because I had used polyspin in the mains at 70 and gamma syn gut at 70 in the cross in a 95 racket . And I am only 14 . I never had arm problems but I just switched to 65 because polyspin lost tension like crazy and my tension was 60 lbs in 2-3 days. now I use full syn gut (gosen sheep micro) at 68 .

tennisfreak15347
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I never knew that people string their rackets soo low because I had used polyspin in the mains at 70 and gamma syn gut at 70 in the cross in a 95 racket . And I am only 14 . I never had arm problems but I just switched to 65 because polyspin lost tension like crazy and my tension was 60 lbs in 2-3 days. now I use full syn gut (gosen sheep micro) at 68 .

Honestly, I dont think you need to string that high for a poly. Do you hit flat?

Fletch
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
do you hit completely flat, or with alot of topspin? I think I'd literally have to get a running momentum and leap into the ball to get my racquet going at 74lbs :lol:

I play mostly indoors and hit with top on the forehand and a little flatter on the backhand. Its the backhand that I have trouble with. I have since made a subtle change in my backhand, starting with taking the racket head back higher with a downward loop prior to hitting the ball instead of straight back low, this seems to have helped me with more topspin.
Good idea on the running start, I might give that a try too!

man if you need that high tension and still want more control. you need practice. haha.

I know!!!! I wish I could play more, work, who needs it!!! I did make the change to the backhand like I said earlier, and it has really helped, I was surprised how much difference that made.

my elbow and shoulder ache just reading this thread. where's the ice, man?

Advil works well too:) Amazingly my arm didn't hurt.

It's not that with lower tension you lose control (60's is not that low at all), it's about getting used to hitting with a different tension.

Btw Gasquet string his racquet in mid (sometimes low) 50's.

I think I agree with this statement, but your form is critical, if you hit flat I imagine it would be a challenge to be a consistent heavy hitter with loose tension.

Fletch
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
the fact that you still have an arm after hitting with a poly at 74 is amazing :shock:

ever concider arm wrestling for money? :)

Good call, too funny. Why didn't I think of this. The circus is coming to town, I'll talk with them!:)

ALU should be strung at 48-55 lbs a most. Many people string ALU at more than 60lbs. nd it feellike a board and loses much of it's power, IMO.

I dropped from 74 lbs to 64 lbs and now to 60 lbs, I am going to try to stick with this, I think for long term its best. It would have taken its toll sooner or later.

Fletch
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Most pros string in the low 50s, so you have to drop another 10 lbs.

:shock: No way! I tried 55 lbs and didn't play too well with it. The racket didn't feel stable. Plus I'm only a 4.5, I think my fantasy of playing pro tennis is dimming. Seniors is coming up in a couple years :???:

haha 74 damn...you must have a beastly forearm :-P

You would think, maybe I should creatine load or something:)

Seriously, when stringing lower for me, say 55 lbs, I felt like I lost some racket stability. Would you recommend lead taping at 3 and 9? Would that help? Seems like the PD+ w/ Cortex is very head light anyway.
I feel pretty good at 60 lbs, I can actually hit a drop volley again, and overall volleys are much better, much more depth. Maybe just keeping it at 60 is good enough, that is 14 lb drop. I have to say, my serve is much faster at the lower tension, and I actually can kick the ball better on the second serve. I will say I am still getting used to it, so hopefully better tennis is yet to come.

Or would you stay at 60 lbs for a month and try 55 lbs again at that time, so the change isn't so drastic?

Charlie_Boy
09-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Lmao, low 60s is a low tension?

supermario343
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I use low 60's myself and i would say my forehand is my weapon lol...I have strung at 55 and its not as good as 60-63 for me :)

Charlie_Boy
09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I string at around 58.

tennisfreak15347
09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
i string at 61. it seems to work perfect for me.

ronalditop
09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
i strung my lm prestige mp at 58, but i think im going to 60 cause i like to beat the hell out of the ball and with that tension i have to make my swing shorter.

09-26-2008, 06:52 PM
but your form is critical, if you hit flat I imagine it would be a challenge to be a consistent heavy hitter with loose tension.

Seems that loose strings work better for flatter, power hitters. Even if it tramps, it just adds power in the same direction.
If you are heavy on the TS, loose strings will tramp the ball up and long, Right?

tennisfreak15347
09-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Seems that loose strings work better for flatter, power hitters. Even if it tramps, it just adds power in the same direction.
If you are heavy on the TS, loose strings will tramp the ball up and long, Right?

I'd assume that for flat hitters, tension wouldn't affect them AS much. For tospin hitters, the higher the tension, the harder they are allowed to hit it, which also lets them hit with more topspin; aka bringing the ball down more into the court.