PDA

View Full Version : ganglion cist?

dandz
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Anyone ever gotten a tendon cist (I hope it's not a bone tumor) on a finger (middle)which makes it painful to grip the racquet tight enough? If so, how do you make it disappear.

0range
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
My doc sent me to a surgeon but I'm sure there are less invasive method especially when ganglion is just on a finger...

LES
09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
One time I whacked my ankle with the racquet and a ganglion cyst developed. Just go to the doc and have it drained. They freeze the area and suck out the liquid with a syringe

Roberto
09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Show it to your doctor if you are not sure it is a ganglion. If it is a ganglion it can sometimes dissapear by itself - if not, your doctor can as LES told you suck the liquid out with a large needle. If it still comes back and it's painful, the most certain way to get rid of it is to have your doc/surgeon to operate. They will then resect the whole cyst (this is very seldom necessary in a finger ganglion).
If your doc`s sure it is a ganglion and if you have the nerve, you can also brake the ganglioncapsule by yourself by hitting it with a heavy book or squeezin it hard. This could be painful but brakes the ganglion capsule better than a needle does and therefore it would be less likely that it will come back.

0range
09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
One time I whacked my ankle with the racquet and a ganglion cyst developed. Just go to the doc and have it drained. They freeze the area and suck out the liquid with a syringe

Did it grow back? Mine did... twice.

Ignorant Genius
09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
If your doc`s sure it is a ganglion and if you have the nerve, you can also brake the ganglioncapsule by yourself by hitting it with a heavy book or squeezin it hard.

The book method, as primitive and simple as it sounds, is what many doctors would recommend as a first course of action. And you may have to do it a couple of times as they are pesky and tend to come back.

I injured one of my knuckles in the past and had a calcium deposit form. The doctor I went to suggested some stretching exercises 3x per day, and also suggested I soak the finger in hot water before stretching. It took about a month, but the calcium deposit either went away or is so small that I don't notice it any longer

LES
09-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Did it grow back? Mine did... twice.

No luckily it did'nt. But the doc told me it's common that it might grow back

Ignorant Genius
09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
No luckily it did'nt. But the doc told me it's common that it might grow back

That is correct. And you shouldn't get it operated on unless it causes severe pain and/or inhibits your movement.