PDA

View Full Version : Point a lost soul in the right direction

protege
09-17-2008, 04:16 AM
I was thinking about a post by Breakpoint (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2653486&postcount=7) where he says:
So basically we've gone from an era of using low-powered racquets (wood, classic graphite, etc.) with high-powered strings (natural gut) to an era of using high-powered racquets (Babolats and the like) with low-powered strings (poly). Because at the end of the day, tennis is still a game in which you have to keep the ball inside of the court and the size of the court has not changed between eras. But what have we really gained? Personally, I prefer using a low-powered racquet with high-powered strings because I get more feel, more control, and no arm problems. I also think a stiff racquet with stiff strings is just a recipe for arm trouble for those over 35.

I agree. However, I also noticed that pros of the '90s used natural gut but strung them upwards of 65 lbs.

The rule of thumb is string tighter for control and string looser for power.

Hmmm.... I have the low-powered racket - the K90. But I'm using a low-powered string (Babolat Superfine Play 17g) strung at 58lbs.

Then I thought about the fact that Ergo, I need natural gut! But since I can't afford it, what alternatives do I have?

protege
09-17-2008, 04:17 AM
Basically, I think I need the softest playing multi that I can string at 60lbs and up.

protege
09-17-2008, 04:24 AM
I clicked the "Post New Topic" button a little to quickly there so I have this unfinished sentence:
Then I thought about the fact that

Here's the complete one:

Then I thought about the fact that since I already have the low-powered racket, I need the high-power string that can be strung tight for increased control.