PDA

View Full Version : Will you save more buying reel or no?

supertrex
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
K just got my new stringing machine. Are we gonna save more if we buy the Reel or just 1 packet of string?

Does the reel comes with lots of string already cut or it comes with just 1 long long string?

rich s
09-17-2008, 08:46 AM
With basic nylon strings like Prince Syn Gut Orig or Duraflex you will not save money using a reel over individual packages. On more expensive polys and multis (depending on the string brand and type) you can save with reels over individual packages.

The string on the reel is continuous, it is not pre-cut to 38 or 40 foot lengths. You cut it to the length you want.

diredesire
09-17-2008, 09:12 AM
With basic nylon strings like Prince Syn Gut Orig or Duraflex you will not save money using a reel over individual packages. On more expensive polys and multis (depending on the string brand and type) you can save with reels over individual packages.

The string on the reel is continuous, it is not pre-cut to 38 or 40 foot lengths. You cut it to the length you want.

Not true, there are significant savings to be had by reel with nylon as well, Prince just doesn't discount much :(

zidane339
09-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Im curious as well. What are the best value reels out there?

fuzz nation
09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Gotta love the prices on the reels of Gosen available at TW, but I'm sure that they're not the only great deal in town.

Just look at the length of any reel that you'd use for a full stringing and divide that by forty. That should give you a pretty accurate cost per racquet. Also remember that if you're into using kevlar or poly in a hybrid with something less expensive in the crosses, you only need to consider around twenty feet per stringing to calculate your cost per racquet.

rasajadad
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
As has been written, some reels save more money than others. The main benefit for me at least is that because I make notes in my stringing pattern charts I can save a foot here and a foot there in addition to whatever the sheet says. The other problems with sets can be when you are doing a hybrid and the mains are more than 20 feet. You can't save the leftover short piece in the hope someone wants to use it as a cross.

So for me I buy reels whenever possible when it's a string I use a lot (PSGD, e.g.)

BCEagle01
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Im curious as well. What are the best value reels out there?

Cyberflash

Cup8489
09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
yes, you definitely will save. the only reel i can think of that yuo wont save on is the gosen og sheep micro 18 gauge, which is actually more expensive for a full job off the reel than it is from a package.

but all others, you save money. and it's not too big of a deal to cut the proper lengths.

supertrex
09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
ahh thanks for the reply. was thinking of getting Syn Gut Gamma since their cheap and good strings in my opinion.

but I'll just stick with individual packet so I can try lots of them.

rich s
09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Not true, there are significant savings to be had by reel with nylon as well, Prince just doesn't discount much :(

How do you figure?

When you consider that out of a 660 foot reel of string you can only string 17 rackets so you have to divide the cost of the reel by 17 for a per racket cost for the string

examples
Forten Sweet 16 - $50/reel = $2.94 per string job vs $3 for a single package.
Dunlop Syn Gut - $70/reel = $4.12 per string job vs $3.60 for a single package.
Gamma Syn Gut Wearguard - $65/reel = $3.82 per string job vs $3.75 for a single package
Prince Syn Gut Dflex - $62/reel = $3.65 per string job vs $3.79 for a single package.
Wilson Extreme Syn Gut - $49/per reel = $2.88 per string job vs $3.50 per package.

Your best deal is an 85 cent savings with Wilson.....all the others are pennies difference if not more.

Now when you look at Bab Pro Hurricane Tour at $180/reel or $10.60 per racket vs $12 for a single package that is $1.41 savings or......

TF Pro Red Code $115/reel or $6.88 per racket vs $11.50 per package that is $4.62....

Your best significant deals are on the higher priced strings....low priced syn gut reels don't save you significantly.

:wink:

2nd_Serve
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
You will usually get a slight discount with a reel. Some companies like Luxilon don't give one though.

Virtua Tennis
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
You can save money on reels as long as your measuring skills are spot on.

PED
09-18-2008, 06:06 AM
The savings really depend on the string. I find the best savings to be in the 8 to 10 dollar poly range like Big Ace or Cyberflash. A mini reel of CF will take you per foot cost down to 9.6 cents versus 19 cents a foot for the package. Big ace is 12 cents a foot for the reel versus 20 cents for the pack.

Lux does not give much of a break on alu, it's 35 cents a foot for the reel versus 36 cents for the package.

Right now though, TW is selling the mini reels of BBO at a good price. It will be 29.95 for the mini reel so you save around 20% or so. CF does seem to be the one with the best savings as the poster above noted.

rich s
09-18-2008, 11:56 AM
You can't compare price per foot between a package and a reel.

You have to compare price per stringing job based on the number of racquets you can string from that reel. When you get to the end of the reel and have 12 feet left over that you can't use, you don't magically get your money back, the cost of that piece of unusable string has to be divided over the number of racquets you strung.

Divide the cost of the reel by the number of string jobs you can get out of it .....typcially 17 string jobs out of a 660' foot reel, then compare that price to the price of a package of the same string.

The higher dollar strings are where you see the most savings.......

goosala
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Generally speaking the more expensive the string the more you will save buying a reel of it. The cheaper the string such as regular syn guts which are less than $4 a set it comes out to be the same. I use cheap syn guts so I prefer buying in packages to keep them fresh. The only advantage of using a reel for me is that the string does not coil like packaged string.

Forten Sweet 17
660 ft. reel = 17 string jobs = $50
17 sets @ $3 = $51

ubel
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
am i maybe being stingy in thinking you can squeeze out a couple more sets out of those 660' reels (11% more sets translates to money)? i play with 85" racquets and nylon strings that stretch a fair bit and find that even 32' is a bit excessive (~20/21 sets) but do so to give myself a fair margin of error and have yet to make a length mistake in my year of stringing. after having gone through the motions, i would think most people would be able to not waste too much string and get at least 18 sets out of a reel.. is that too extreme for you guys due to stiffer strings, racqet size, etc?

kelz
09-19-2008, 03:38 AM
I think all string companies will give you a discount if you purchase in reels - besides luxion, they just perform perfect maths.

rich s
09-19-2008, 05:18 AM
am i maybe being stingy in thinking you can squeeze out a couple more sets out of those 660' reels (11% more sets translates to money)? i play with 85" racquets and nylon strings that stretch a fair bit and find that even 32' is a bit excessive (~20/21 sets) but do so to give myself a fair margin of error and have yet to make a length mistake in my year of stringing. after having gone through the motions, i would think most people would be able to not waste too much string and get at least 18 sets out of a reel.. is that too extreme for you guys due to stiffer strings, racqet size, etc?

I agree that you can get more than 17 stringings out of a 660 foot reel for an 85" head.

When you string 95" and larger heads, to try to string with 36' feet of string is cutting it too close for me....especially on a 2 piece jobs or 18x20 patterns.....

If you just string for yourself you could prabably dial it in real well and potentially get to 36' but when you string for others 36' scares me.....

princemidplus
09-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Gotta love the prices on the reels of Gosen available at TW, but I'm sure that they're not the only great deal in town.

Just look at the length of any reel that you'd use for a full stringing and divide that by forty. That should give you a pretty accurate cost per racquet. Also remember that if you're into using kevlar or poly in a hybrid with something less expensive in the crosses, you only need to consider around twenty feet per stringing to calculate your cost per racquet.

How do you figure that you only need 20 feet per restring if you use kevlar/poly in hybrid? do you then only replace the broken hybrid string and leave the unbroken one in? i find this is one way to ensure a poor string job due to tension loss.

tennisfreak15347
09-19-2008, 06:32 AM

going to string my first poly, and I dont think that poly's stretch too much, so I'm going to take the full 40 feet for the stringjob and work my down in lengths.

princemidplus
09-19-2008, 07:02 AM
i string poly mains and nylon in crosses.use 18 feet poly in mains and 16-17 feet nylon for crosses. nylon stretches more obviously. this is for 100sq in headsize.

ubel
09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
going to string my first poly, and I dont think that poly's stretch too much, so I'm going to take the full 40 feet for the stringjob and work my down in lengths.

when you're done, do you mind taking the excess string and posting the length and your racquet specs (head size and dimensions)? would love some feed back on how much string you can eventually consider waste and then we can make some educated guesses on how much string you acutally need :)

tennisfreak15347
09-19-2008, 07:16 AM
when you're done, do you mind taking the excess string and posting the length and your racquet specs (head size and dimensions)? would love some feed back on how much string you can eventually consider waste and then we can make some educated guesses on how much string you acutally need :)

will do on sunday night. stringing the Kblade98 by the way, with Pro red code.

Cup8489
09-19-2008, 07:27 AM
will do on sunday night. stringing the Kblade98 by the way, with Pro red code.

you will probably need more than 20 feet for the mains...take 22 to be safe. but even then, i'm not sure..

hoodjem
09-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Here's another great "reel deal" on a very decent poly:
ISOSPEED Baseline Spin String Reel
Price: $39.99

Offered in a thinner 17L gauge, the Spin model of Baseline adds exceptional spin and acceleration off the stringbed while providing excellent durability. The thin monofilament polyester composition offers nice feel while maintaining directional control. Available in a reel for efficiency and convenience.
Gauge: 17L (1.20mm)
Length: 660 ft / 200 m
Composition: Monofilament Polyester
Colors: Black