PDA

View Full Version : how much does it cost to resize a grip?

Mbautista
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
interested in buying a racquet but it's 5/8 and I normally use 3/8.

is this an expensive process? I couldnt find much info on searches..

S H O W S T O P P E R !
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
The handle of a racket has technology that helps the racket on power, feel, spin, etc. Downsizing a handle will either make it play dramatically different than how it used to play. I would try to find a smaller handle size or just buy a different racket altogether.

BrainTennis
09-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Before you do anything, make certain the handle can be shaved down. Talk to a knowledgable tennis pro at a reputable shop and they will be able to tell you before you invest the money.

volusiano
09-18-2008, 01:02 AM
It's a lot harder to downsize a handle than it is to build it up. Don't bother. It's not worth the time and effort. And if you don't do it right, it may become asymmetric and out of specs and you'll ruin the racket all together.

Look for one with the right size handle to begin with. If you can only find one with a smaller size than you're looking for, then at least building it up is a better option.

Nuke
09-18-2008, 03:46 AM
You can go down a size by removing the original grip and just replacing it with a couple layers of thin overgrip. That will get you down to about a size 4 (4 1/2). Some of us here like that feel better than a cushy grip anyway.

OrangeOne
09-18-2008, 04:10 AM
It's a lot harder to downsize a handle than it is to build it up. Don't bother. It's not worth the time and effort. And if you don't do it right, it may become asymmetric and out of specs and you'll ruin the racket all together.

Look for one with the right size handle to begin with. If you can only find one with a smaller size than you're looking for, then at least building it up is a better option.

^^ Exactly the argument as presented by my local stringer (who is an MRT who strings internationally).

TW Staff
09-18-2008, 06:53 AM
interested in buying a racquet but it's 5/8 and I normally use 3/8.

is this an expensive process? I couldnt find much info on searches..

Increasing and decreasing a grip size really depends on the type of racquet that you have. Increasing a grip size is a simple and cheap process that can be accomplished on most tennis racquets. Increasing a grip size is something that we do daily at Tennis Warehouse. In general, I would only recommend decreasing your grip size if you have a tennis racquet that has pallets. Shaving a handle is a process that can only be done on certain racquets and can also easily effect the stability and rigidity of the frame.

Danny, TW

TennezSport
09-18-2008, 07:16 AM
^^^ Listen to Danny on this one. Going down in handle size by 1/8 is hard enough but you want to go from 5/8(L5) to 3/8(L3); don't do it. BoL

TennezSport :cool: