PDA

View Full Version : Soft but Durable Poly?

BkK_b0y14
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm into my High School season right now and I've been breaking strings like no other. In the past couple weeks I've broken 2 sets of Gosen Polylon Ice (1 week life for both sets), a set of X-One Biphase (6 hours), and a set of Cyberflash (12 hours). I really love the feel and power of Cyberflash but I don't think it may be worth it to string a fresh set every week or so. So is there any string that is similar to Cyberflash but is a tad more durable?

tennisfreak15347
09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
first of all, are you stringing for yourself? if you're not, then you should invest in a stringer to save you money in the long run. second, just curious, but a high-school player with POGs? :shock:. I never knew the new generation would even consider those racquets (not that theyre bad). How about trying poly's with babolat string savers? they'll add atleast 40% durability to the strings your breaking right now.

*edit* dont know how willing you will be to looking into Pro red code, and Alu Power fluoru. Fluoru has a stiffness rating of 232, if im certain, which is pretty soft for a poly. SPPP I think has a stiffness of around 250. for reference, I used this site. it shows tension loss and stiffness ratings with a giant list of strings. http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200709/stringmap_poly.html

nCode747
09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
try some luxlion monotec supersence you cant get it on TW. also how you like the polyon ice.

BkK_b0y14
09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
first of all, are you stringing for yourself? if you're not, then you should invest in a stringer to save you money in the long run. second, just curious, but a high-school player with POGs? :shock:. I never knew the new generation would even consider those racquets (not that theyre bad). How about trying poly's with babolat string savers? they'll add atleast 40% durability to the strings your breaking right now.

*edit* dont know how willing you will be to looking into Pro red code, and Alu Power fluoru. Fluoru has a stiffness rating of 232, if im certain, which is pretty soft for a poly. SPPP I think has a stiffness of around 250. for reference, I used this site. it shows tension loss and stiffness ratings with a giant list of strings. http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200709/stringmap_poly.html

Um, I have a dropweight (ATS SuperStringer) but I am too lazy and don't have much time to string for myself (6 IB classes). I just kinda find dropweights a pain to string with but I guess I will just have to start stringing again this weekend.. Yes, I just love the feel, power, and spin they give me. They fit my game perfectly. I will look into those string savers.

As for Pro Red Code, I am a little hesitant as I have heard that is a quite stiff and harsh poly. The Alu Fluoro looks quite interesting though. The only problem with the above strings is the price, I don't really think its worth the $15-17 bucks if it just means I'll break them in a week. Besides, from my experience, in terms of durability Big Bangers are on par with Cyberflash.

BkK_b0y14
09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
try some luxlion monotec supersence you cant get it on TW. also how you like the polyon ice.

Polylon Ice has great feel, power and spin. It is very crisp but soft at the same time. The semi-transparency is also pretty cool. The only problem is that it loses tension extremely fast. The strings move around like synthetics would.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
pro supex big ace

nickarnold2000
09-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Getting 12 hours out of CF is quite reasonable IMO. Yes, try using string savers but they will stiffen up the string bed a little.

BkK_b0y14
09-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Getting 12 hours out of CF is quite reasonable IMO. Yes, try using string savers but they will stiffen up the string bed a little.

12 hours means 3 practices or 3 matches. I usually play singles and doubles during our competitive matches.

2nd_Serve
09-18-2008, 12:15 AM
You could try kevlar, but it may be too stiff for your liking.

Some polys are ...

Blue Gear
Big Ace
Luxilon <-- I think most durable
Pacific Poly Force
Polyfibre TCS
Weiss Cannon strings
Unique Big Hitter <-- This is way up there with Luxilon.

jack hoyer
09-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Luxilon Big Banger Orginal, but be sure and follow their instructions and string it 10% looser than you'd string a non poly.

Racer41c
09-18-2008, 08:39 AM
.... ask Nickb:-?

I'm not a big hitter at all, but Big Ace will last me at least 100 hours a set.

DonBot
09-18-2008, 08:58 AM
You could try kevlar, but it may be too stiff for your liking.

Some polys are ...

Blue Gear
Big Ace
Luxilon <-- I think most durable
Pacific Poly Force
Polyfibre TCS
Weiss Cannon strings
Unique Big Hitter <-- This is way up there with Luxilon.

Unique Big Hitter Blue is incredibly soft for a poly and it lasts a long time. I would give that a try. ProSUpex is good too, for me it does not last as long as luxilon or Big Hitter Blue.

servelefty2233
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I too, am in your situation. I have 3 POG Mids, am playing in high school, and have been breaking 4 strings a week for the past few weeks (I have a Prince Neos) I was using Unique Big Hitter Blue, and it is a great string you might want to consider, even more durable than Luxilon Big Banger, which I tried out the last few times. I average about 5 hours with the BHB and the Lux only lasted about 3 hours.

BkK_b0y14
09-20-2008, 03:44 PM
From what I've heard, big hitter blue is just a cheap version of Big Banger Alu, is this true?

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I too, am in your situation. I have 3 POG Mids, am playing in high school, and have been breaking 4 strings a week for the past few weeks (I have a Prince Neos) I was using Unique Big Hitter Blue, and it is a great string you might want to consider, even more durable than Luxilon Big Banger, which I tried out the last few times. I average about 5 hours with the BHB and the Lux only lasted about 3 hours.

you have a prince neos as a high-schooler? :shock: I hope your doing more than just stringing for yourself with that machine.

servelefty2233
09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Well my parents played before I was born so they had it before I even really got into tennis, but now I string for my team.

BigT
09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
stick with CF, you cant find a better bang for your $$$.

09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Big Ace. Love it so far.

scotus
09-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Since your season has already begun, you don't want to make a racquet change.

But perhaps next season you might want to consider a slightly denser string pattern.

Nothing lasts long in a frame with 14 mains.

JW10S
09-20-2008, 10:21 PM
You would be doing yourself a great disservice if you did not try HEAD's Sonic Pro. It was rated by the USRSA as the most durable 17 gauge string period--that's including polys, multis, gut, you name it. It is also one of the softest, if not the softest polys you will find.

MTChong
09-20-2008, 11:43 PM
12 hours means 3 practices or 3 matches. I usually play singles and doubles during our competitive matches.

That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

The thing is, regardless of what you have, if you hit with heavy spin, the POG is going to destroy it. You can try switching racquets or just make do with what you got.

And if you're looking for something softer, just hybrid a cheap synthetic in the crosses. Life will be similar, and you'll get most the benefits of full poly.

BkK_b0y14
09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

The thing is, regardless of what you have, if you hit with heavy spin, the POG is going to destroy it. You can try switching racquets or just make do with what you got.

And if you're looking for something softer, just hybrid a cheap synthetic in the crosses. Life will be similar, and you'll get most the benefits of full poly.

Well considering we play best of 3 set matches and always have the possibility of playing exhibitions, our matches get pretty long. Our matches are every Tuesday and Thursday and start before 3:45 and end at 7-7:15. And varsity practices are only 2 hours long, but I go to the courts right after school, so that I don't have to waste gas and drive home and then come back. So I am there for around 4 hours.

What I find puzzling is that I don't think I hit with that much topspin. I hit heavy slice but that is about it. My shots tend to be more flat. Well, from the backhand side at least. People say I can put some heavy top on my forehand side but to me I think I only do that on the defensive. And the weird thing is when my strings break, I never experienced any fraying or any signs that they were going to break. They would just break during a return or in the middle of a tough rally.

Last time I had a hybrid of synthetics in the crosses and poly in the mains, the poly just tore through the synthetics. One of my least durable string jobs ever.

If I do decide to change rackets, any suggestions?

MTChong
09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Well considering we play best of 3 set matches and always have the possibility of playing exhibitions, our matches get pretty long. Our matches are every Tuesday and Thursday and start before 3:45 and end at 7-7:15. And varsity practices are only 2 hours long, but I go to the courts right after school, so that I don't have to waste gas and drive home and then come back. So I am there for around 4 hours.

What I find puzzling is that I don't think I hit with that much topspin. I hit heavy slice but that is about it. My shots tend to be more flat. Well, from the backhand side at least. People say I can put some heavy top on my forehand side but to me I think I only do that on the defensive. And the weird thing is when my strings break, I never experienced any fraying or any signs that they were going to break. They would just break during a return or in the middle of a tough rally.

Last time I had a hybrid of synthetics in the crosses and poly in the mains, the poly just tore through the synthetics. One of my least durable string jobs ever.

If I do decide to change rackets, any suggestions?

It's not the exact same, but it seems the Diablo was designed with the POG in mind -- however, I would caution that it's a bit stiff. It really depends; there are lots of racquets that wouldn't break strings as fast, but it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something similar to the POG and do you have any brand preferences?

I know I used to hit the Diablo and it was a fine racquet -- worth a demo if you have that option available to you.

BkK_b0y14
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Anything similar, and no, brand doesn't matter.

MTChong
09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Anything similar, and no, brand doesn't matter.

For starters, I would say look into demoing/trying a Prince Tour Diablo Midsize and see how it works out. If it doesn't work out, come back to the forums and post up a detailed description of what you like/dislike about the POG and the Tour Diablo in the Racquets section and people should be able to help you out.

Big Tigger
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Nothing lasts long in a frame with 14 mains.

Ditto (10 chars..)

BkK_b0y14
09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Ditto (10 chars..)

I think I know that........there's a reason I'm playing with poly instead of synthetics and multis.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
try sppp 17 its great and also try to get a stringer.

BkK_b0y14
09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
try sppp 17 its great and also try to get a stringer.

I can't do 17 gauge..............the ones I mentioned that I break regularly are all 16 gauge at 55 lbs.

nickb
09-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Try your Big Banger Orignal with a 15g solid core synthetic gut cross...