PDA

View Full Version : soleus

UnPhzD
09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
ok sooo apparently my school fitness trainer (ex physical therapist of Cincinnati reds) said i had tight soleus muscles and over time they tightened sooo theres a stick at school he used on my leg and it hurt REALLY BAD like EXCRUCIATING PAIN not really but it was pretty painful and i was just wondering if there was anything i could do to loosen it at home so i can do it at home and after school cuz i use the stick and go in the school's ice bath thing but just for my leegs

Roberto
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
A lot of tennisplayers have problems with tight calf muscles - both gastrocnemius and soleus - and also akilles tendon problems which are very much related to gastrocnemius and soleus problems. If your soleus is tight so is your gastrocnemius then too, because they are muscles with pretty much same function.
I would recommend a regular calf-stretching program that you would do first thing every morning, before and after your tennis practice and before going to bed at night. It only takes less than 10 minutes/day. Every stretch 20-30 sec except before your tennispractice 10 sev/stretch.

Here are two basic gastrocnemius and soleus stretches (I would recommend to do them both).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=95A-pAKiOwg&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i8QwoscojU&feature=related