PDA

View Full Version : What natural gut is best at staying in place?

Magnus_CA
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I plan to restring with some natural gut for the first time and I was wondering which ng is least prone to moving around. I may string 2 lbs over midtension (58) to help resist bunching. I know string savers would help too but I'd rather not go there.

Also, does 16G generally move less than 17G?

Thanks for the help!

Valjean
09-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Babolat's VS and Klip's Legend, two very different strings.

Thinner strings in general lose tension faster, and, depending on the string, may need to be strung tighter (some manufacturers make their thinner gauges stiffer). The difference with thicker gauges is there, but you'd have to decide if there is enough difference/benefit to worry about.

You might even try out raising your cross string tension by the same amount.

Buy those string savers anyhow, now; have them in reserve...

joe sch
09-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Babolat's VS and Klip's Legend, two very different strings.

Thinner strings in general lose tension faster, and, depending on the string, may need to be strung tighter (some manufacturers make their thinner gauges stiffer). The difference with thicker gauges is there, but you'd have to decide if there is enough difference/benefit to worry about.

You might even try out raising your cross string tension by the same amount.

Buy those string savers anyhow, now; have them in reserve...

Yep, right on target, not really a brand but rather thicker guage, higher tension, and especially adding string savers. Ofcourse all these factors start eliminating the beautiful feel of natural gut.

Tim W
09-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Does it really matter if it moves around a bit?

Bud
09-18-2008, 04:58 AM

Nope......

Magnus_CA
09-18-2008, 07:46 AM

A bit is OK, but I've been testing some multifilaments and really dislike how much Technifibre X-1 wanders compared to Wilson reaction, who's gummy composition does a good job of staying in place.

NoBadMojo
09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Try the Klip Armourpro. It is by far the best gut at staying in place that I know of..or try the hybrid in my siganture which is terrific at that along w. other things

jim e
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I use VS touch 16 g. full set up, and I do not use the string savers, and I am not your typical string breaker.Relatively flat style hitter, so they don't move a great amount anyways.
I just move the strings back every so often, no big deal.

superstition
09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
A denser string pattern helps with this, too.

Azzurri
09-19-2008, 06:11 AM
^^ correct. I have full Babolat VS 17 and it has yet to move (at least 12 hours...maybe more). I have an 18X20 pattern.