PDA

View Full Version : USRSA Membership question

McLovin
09-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Is it worth it?

flash9
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Depends on how much stringing you do, and if you really are taking Stringing seriously? If you only string your own racquets, and do not want to learn new and potentially better ways to string then save your $100.

Spatula
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
A question I'm interested in as well.

From a friend who is a memeber he say b/c he's a member he can signup with string companies and they send him free string packs to sample/test out to include poly's and the occassional gut. He also mentioned if you string for a range of people with differnt racquets the manual is a nice to have.

Current members, care to chime in?

McLovin
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I string rackets for many players at my club, as well as some of the local high school teams. Its not a 'business' as I don't really advertise other than word of mouth, but I average 3 - 4 rackets a week during the prime season (meaning spring/summer).

I try to keep certain types of string on hand (natural gut, cheap synthetic, poly), but I encourage them to buy their own & just have me string it. It costs the same as I don't markup the string I supply. However, I am interested in the sample packs & play testing. Apparently there are discounts available as well?

Spatula
09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm not 100% certain, that's why I put it out there, hoping a current member could verify or negate the statement

jim e
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I believe it is well worth the $. You get their digest sent to you 3 times / year, to keep you updated on the new racquet patterns always coming out. You also get full access to their web site.The web site has most of the older patterns listed as well, and you can call their technicians to get personel help if you run into a problem, (fortunatly I never had to as yet!), and you get RSI magazine, and in there, there is an offer to get free string samples in most of their issues, that in itself, just about pays you back what the membership costs. I just received a pack of Prince recoil last week, they sent Wilson's champions choice, some of pro supex strings, some TVG, XR3,Lux. power fluoro, K Gut, and the year is not over. The strings basically pays for your membership. Even if you do not like the string samples, you are a stringer, and other people may like what you have. It gives me a chance to try the strings 1st, and they have a great write up on them in the issue of RSI. That way if you like the strings , you can explain to your customers what the string is like, as you have used it, and have the info. on it as well.It is a very good orginization to belong to.
If you have any doubts, you can join for 1 year, and take it from there.
So in my opinion, it is well worth the money.

Valjean
09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
There are now three memberships available. One is a subscription membership that gets you the monthly magazine and then access to all the string samples. One is a web-only membership with access to all the tools and articles and their expertise. And then there is the comprehensive, regular kind that has been addressed so far.

In addition, to get a feel for what the USRSA has to offer, there is even a one-month trial web membership that's just $9 for the month.

See it all: http://racquettech.com/store/store_toc.html

Cruzer
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
A question I'm interested in as well.

From a friend who is a memeber he say b/c he's a member he can signup with string companies and they send him free string packs to sample/test out to include poly's and the occassional gut.

I was a member for several years and never a received any gut strings. Once they had a drawing for a set of gut but they weren't handing them out to all members. In fact I found the frequency of string samples declined during the period I was a member and that is one of the reasons I dropped my membership. In addition some string offers had a limited amount of sets that were being given out. I would send in the coupon for the free strings the day I got the RSI magazine and still not get them.

The best part of the membership was the annual Stringer's Digest manual which keeps you current with stringing patterns for all the newest racquets and a lot of older models as well.

McLovin
09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
What I'm really interested in are the deals from distributors as well as the free samples. Sure, I'll glance at the magazine while going to the bathroom, but I'm really trying to get a feel for what type of discounts you get as well as samples.

If it is break even or better, then I'll do it. Otherwise, I'm not sure its worth it.

tennisfreak15347
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
from what alot of my friends told me, it's well worth it, but I dont want to pay the fee, as I'm better off just buying strings with the money and stringing for local people.

davidahenry
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree with jim e - it is certainly worth the money. And... If you ever want to have your own stringing business, it adds some credibilty to tell prospective customers that you are a USRSA member (or better yet, an MRT). It just gives an added level of professionalism.

I am just getting back into stringing after about an 8 year hiatus, and the USRSA membership has changed a bit over time. Back in the day, I used to automatically receive free string samples (never natural gut as someone else also pointed out) - almost on a monthly basis. I didn't have to request them, they just showed up in my mailbox. It was great.

Now, it seems the string manufacturers have cut back on their free samples. Now, free samples are available through the USRSA membership, but only to a limited number of people on a first-come, first serve basis. And you have to request them by mailing or emailing the USRSA. Last month, I received my first RSi magazine since re-joining the USRSA, and it had an offer for a free sample of Gamma Zo Tour. As soon as I received the magazine, I sent an email requesting my free sample (about three weeks ago) and have not yet received the string. I have also not received any type of notification as to whether or not I was among the chosen few to get the sample. Kind of frustrating, but I'll try to be patient and see what happens.

Regardless of the free samples, I still think there is great value in being a member. Just my $0.02.

Take care.

ramos
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I joined this site, my credit card was charged in $145,00 and I cannot sign in. The system dont reconize my user name neather my password. Iv emailed him and a girl answer me and ask me to try again and again and again...
So, I have missed my money @#$%%%$#...:shock:

Valjean
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Man, just tell them you want a refund! And there just must be some error you made, then, when signing up. If you'll call, I'm sure they'll walk you through it and sort things out that way.

jim e
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I joined this site, my credit card was charged in $145,00 and I cannot sign in. The system dont reconize my user name neather my password. Iv emailed him and a girl answer me and ask me to try again and again and again...
So, I have missed my money @#$%%%$#...:shock:

Your username and password has to be typed in exactly as you listed it, cap. letters, or small letters, and no spaces between anything. I had that problem, and called them up, and they told me exactly what I had listed for password and username. Just give them a call.They will take care of it while you are on the phone with them.