PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Natural Gut: Production Issues?

Martingale
09-18-2008, 01:52 PM
I have had three of my rackets strung with Pacific Natural Prime Gut 17, mid tension (2 brand new ProKennex 5G and one brand new Redondo). Within two weeks, with no playing at all, all three strings broke by themselves, with no playing whatsoever. They all broke around the grommets. Tension was mid to low (I've got a sore elbow), no humidity, good storing conditions at home (no temperature swings etc). Then I had one of them restrung (at a different store to make sure I do not get the same batch) with Pacific Natural Tough gut 17, and again it broke at a grommet location after two hours of play, no abuse. I guess it must be "Tough gut" as it managed to survive some play at least, while the prime didn't.

Did anybody else encounter what looks like a production weakness with Pacific during the last couple months (both stores seem to string a lot of Pacific, so I do not think the string was manufactured a long time ago)?

fastdunn
09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I have had one Pacific Classic ($26 one) 16 gauge that poped near grommet area while not playing. That was strange. I never had a string fail that way in my 20 years of playing tennis.

That was my 1st pacific classic gut. But I played it with it more than 10 hour. Plus I have had it about 6 month before I have strung it up. So it was not clear if it was defective one. I still 2 sets of this strings. One was replaced by TW.

jazar
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
i have heard of some occaisonal inconsistensies with pacific gut in its gauge and colouring, but i've not really heard anything like this though

nickb
09-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Do the stringers know how to string natural gut in the correct way?

thomas martinez
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
No, natural gut like poly is known to suffer from sheer breakage. Doesn't matter what brand you use. Pacific, VS, Klip, BDE, I've seen it on all. And it is also VERY sensitive to the elements. I've had plenty of sets snap in the bag on a humid day. Just part of the gut thing

protege
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
No, natural gut like poly is known to suffer from sheer breakage. Doesn't matter what brand you use. Pacific, VS, Klip, BDE, I've seen it on all. And it is also VERY sensitive to the elements. I've had plenty of sets snap in the bag on a humid day. Just part of the gut thing

Ouch! :shock:

Maybe you should play it soon after stringing only.

This sure makes natural gut more out of my reach. :oops:

thomas martinez
09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
even still, it just happens. even with coatings, it is a natural material and the elements can kill it.

Martingale
09-19-2008, 12:41 AM
I agree the elements kill it. These were perfectly stored in dry conditions. They first 3 were strung by TW when I bought the rackets, the last one at Wigmore Sports in London, who have got a good reputation...
I have used gut for 35 years, and some of my 30 year old rackets still have the original gut in place: no breaking. I cannot help but feel that the quality of the gut is going downhill while the prices are going uphill.

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
09-19-2008, 01:13 AM
never had a problem with the cheap babalot gut

Ljubicic for number1
09-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Currently running Pacific Tough Gut in one of my Roddicks and it plays awesome after a couple of hours of break in. No premature breakages so far, I have had the stock for about 6 months.

Martingale
09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
And happy birthday Ljubicic for number 1!

Rabbit
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I've never had any gut break like that. Well, except for that Grand Slam Gut that TW brought in on a trial basis. I hit with it an hour and it broke in my bag that night.

Ljubicic for number1
09-20-2008, 02:36 AM
And happy birthday Ljubicic for number 1!

Thank you:) A year older and still managed a win today.

jim e
09-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank you:) A year older and still managed a win today.

Happy birthday and congrads. on your win!!

fastdunn
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I just had another set of Pacific Classic gut failing near grommet while not playing. This was half set of the same set that had similar failure. So maybe I indeed got a bad somewhat defective set.

But both cases, I played good 20 hours. So it is not terribly wrong.

But this was 16 gauge and I hybrid it with Isospeed Pro(mojo setup). Lots of people said Isospeed is 1st one to go in mojo set up. But the pacific went 1st, while not playing. So I think I did get a defective set.

steve s
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I have never had a problem with Klip or Bab Tonic. I want to try Pacific Classic Natural Gut 16 String and one of the BDE string. Has anyone call Pacific to talk about your problems???.

This is good feedback.

superstition
09-24-2008, 02:03 AM
I have a gut string job (16 gauge VS) that's three years old and it's still going strong. (Kramer Pro Staff 85.) I used the racquet every day twice a day for two weeks in Hawaii playing doubles (and a bit of singles) and I've been letting a beginner hit with it a bit recently.