PDA

View Full Version : so what is the absolute top of the line syn gut?

Mbautista
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
something like how babolat is the tops in natural gut. I'd like to try out new strings but I think natural gut is just too expensive for me.

Booyah
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
if you want something similar to nat gut, i say try out iso speed control, i use it. ive never used nat gut before but a lot people say the feel is similar to iso speed control.

Mbautista
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
well i've never tried natural gut so I can't really compare it to that. However, I've tried syn guts and more or less they all feel pretty much the same. They all die pretty fast, but I've notice some die faster than others. I'll look into the iso though.

baek57
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
if you are looking for natural gut feel you wont find it in synthetics. isospeed control is a multi, but still does not come close to gut.

Mbautista
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
if you are looking for natural gut feel you wont find it in synthetics. isospeed control is a multi, but still does not come close to gut.

not necessarily looking for a natural gut feel from a synthetic, i'm wondering which of them will last the longest while maintaining a decent amount of feel and playability.

zidane339
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Prince Synthetic with Duraflex is probably as good as you can go in syntheics

protege
09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
not necessarily looking for a natural gut feel from a synthetic, i'm wondering which of them will last the longest while maintaining a decent amount of feel and playability.

If you're considering non-multifilament synthetics, I've read (not experienced first hand) that Laserfibre Synthetic Gut Classic is a cut above the rest.

Can someone who's used it verify this?

scowalters
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Prince Synthetic with Duraflex is probably as good as you can go in syntheics

i totally agree with this, if you're going for the best single core syn gut. if you're going for multis, maybe technifibre NRG? Livewire professional?

RFRF
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
technifibre nrg 18

tennisfreak15347
09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
technifibre nrg 18

I think that Gamma Professional and Wilson K-gut are the absolute best, so i've heard, but they cost just as much as natural gut, which is not worth it unless you're environment doesn't permit the use of natural gut.

Cup8489
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
if you're going for a solid core synthetic, prince synthetic gut with duraflex is the most durable i've used. i prefer others, but it works the best.

multifilament synthetic, i'd have to say k-gut pro is my favorite.

Nanshiki
09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
It's also $$$$$$. 10 bucks more gets you the real deal.

There's no such thing as a top of the line synthetic gut. It's like trying to buy a top-of-the-line Kia.

Synthetic gut is the vinyl of leather furniture.

Multis are high-grade Pleather.

Natural is ultra-deluxe real leather from baby sacred Indian cows, treated by the monks of tibet in the blood of rock stars.

baek57
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
i cant stand psgd. but to be fair, i didnt like any synthetics i've tried.

baek57
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
It's also $$$$$$. 10 bucks more gets you the real deal.

There's no such thing as a top of the line synthetic gut. It's like trying to buy a top-of-the-line Kia.

Synthetic gut is the vinyl of leather furniture.

Multis are high-grade Pleather.

Natural is ultra-deluxe real leather from baby sacred Indian cows, treated by the monks of tibet in the blood of rock stars.

$10 more is a lot when you consider frequency of string breaks. but i do agree there is no substitute for gut. its just a matter of $, which is why i hybrid it.

tennisfreak15347
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
this thread has convinced me to buy PSGD. I'm starting to dislike my Gosen reel, and maybe PSGD will give me the low-powered string I'm looking for.

aussie
09-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Beautifully enunciated. Love it, although I do drive a Kia Rio as my second car and feel somewhat impotent right now!

goosala
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
My favorite solid core syn gut is Forten Sweet. It really plays great and breaks right before it gets stale.

Mbautista
09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
you know what, f it! i'm trying a full natural gut job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanshiki
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
$10 more is a lot when you consider frequency of string breaks. but i do agree there is no substitute for gut. its just a matter of $, which is why i hybrid it.

Nothing holds tension better than real gut though.

And you can fix the breaking problems by using string savers.

protege
09-19-2008, 01:31 AM
My favorite solid core syn gut is Forten Sweet. It really plays great and breaks right before it gets stale.

goosala,

You're the 3rd or 4th person who's said that and it can't be a coincidence. I gotta try some for myself :D Thanks for the feedback!

Valjean
09-19-2008, 03:42 AM
you know what, f it! i'm trying a full natural gut job!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's quite a range in natural guts; did you know this??? You need to know what you are dealing with, just as you would with multis.

Mbautista
09-19-2008, 09:22 AM
There's quite a range in natural guts; did you know this??? You need to know what you are dealing with, just as you would with multis.

I was told babolat vs is the best of the best so i'm thinking that's what i'm going to try for my first and maybe last natural gut string job depending on how much I like it.

roc17355
09-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Forten sweet is just that, sweet. Def my favorite Syn gut. PLays a little softer than PSGD or OG Sheep.

Valjean
09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I was told babolat vs is the best of the best so i'm thinking that's what i'm going to try for my first and maybe last natural gut string job depending on how much I like it.
As a first time natural gut user, where the first use is going to be so important, two things, for you: 1) With VS it may be wise for you to go one gauge thicker the first time so you're sure it doesn't break prematurely for you. Though it's not particularly fragile, and known to be, sometimes people who never break strings have found the gauge they're used to doesn't hold up well enough with VS to suit them. 2) There are VS half sets available, so you can join your VS to a multi or other synthetic at about half the cost, and then decide if you like it enough to go the whole nine yards.

2nd_Serve
09-19-2008, 03:56 PM
There's a ton of synthetic guts out there.

There Gosen JC.
GOsen OG Sheep Micro
Pro Supex Syntheitc gut titan.
Pro Supex Synthetic gut Spiral Flex
Forten Sweet
Wilson Extreme synthetic gut

ronalditop
09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Im thinking of buying a syn gut string, but im not sure wich one.
psgd seems very popular, fort sweet also but in my country you cant find it. wilson extreme syn gut 16 is another alternative.
wich one is the best?

Nanshiki
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
PSGD is a reasonably good string for the first couple of hours... after that it's junk. But it's so cheap that you can restring your racket 4-5 times for every time you buy a multifilament, if you buy in reels and string yourself.

ronalditop
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
i need a string that feels good for long time cause i only restring when the string brokes, and strings last to me about two moths or more, in my lm prestige mp racquet.

superstition
09-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Prince "synthetic gut" is a fancy name for monofilament nylon. There's nothing magical about it and there never will be. The only "special" quality about it is that it had a bit of kevlar in it to give it an even worse feel than normal.

When compared to real gut, it's garbage.

nickarnold2000
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
It's also nice and soft which makes it great to cross with a poly.