PDA

View Full Version : How Does Babolat Tonic+ Compare To More Expensive Guts?

kimbahpnam
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I want to use a Wilson Champion's Choice-like hybrid (gut x alu rough), but something cheaper. I don't mind paying the $15 for Luxilon, but I can't spend $35 for gut.

How much % of a Babolat VS or Wilson Natural Gut is in Tonic+?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
09-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Vs to Wilson id say 90%-95%
Vs to Tonic id say 60%-75%

shoesandko
09-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Tonic is not made to the strict conditions that VS team and touch are.It would be tough to tell the difference using in a cross string.

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 08:25 AM
just to make clear, Wilson Natural gut is produced by Babolat, so it's the same as Babolat VS. Not sure if babolat is giving wilson it's inferior gut, though.

Doulers
09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
and I found the Tonic+ to be as good if not better than Babolat VS. i also found Tonic+ to be better than several other natural guts i have tried such as KLIP, BDE and Pacific. wilson was good, but not as good as Babolat VS or tonic+ in my opinion even though babolat may make wilson natural gut.

TonyB
09-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Vs to Wilson id say 90%-95%
Vs to Tonic id say 60%-75%

Huh? Have you tried these strings, or are you just throwing out arbitrary numbers? My guess is the latter.

Tonic is not made to the strict conditions that VS team and touch are.It would be tough to tell the difference using in a cross string.

The OP wants to recreate Champion's Choice... gut mains, not crosses. The only difference between Tonic+ and VS team is the diameter range. Tonic+ has a wider range of diameters. To this date (and I've used a TON of Tonic+), I have not found one single indication of any sort of flaw or defect in the Tonic+ string. Nor have I found any noticeable difference in diameters between packs (measured with a micrometer). Fact is, the only defect I've ever found was in a pack of Klip Legend uncoated 17 gauge.

and I found the Tonic+ to be as good if not better than Babolat VS. i also found Tonic+ to be better than several other natural guts i have tried such as KLIP, BDE and Pacific. wilson was good, but not as good as Babolat VS or tonic+ in my opinion even though babolat may make wilson natural gut.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Tonic+ is slightly larger in diameter on average than VS Team, so it plays a bit softer, which I prefer. Having tried three of those listed, I have found that Tonic+ is better than Klip Legend (coated) and BDE gut. It holds tension better than BDE, frays less than Klip, and plays softer than either of those. Power is also more controlled than the Legend or BDE.

I use Tonic+ exclusively in the mains of all my racquets with a poly cross (Silverstring). I've used it in at least 7 different models from 5 different manufacturers (Wilson, Prince, Fischer, Tecnifibre, and Yonex), all with amazing success.

After using this string for two years and trying those others, I have absolutely NO interest in looking at any other natural gut strings. Tonic+ is *IT* for me.

roger nadal
09-20-2008, 11:42 AM
tonic is ok but u shud get vs

Rabbit
09-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Now packaged as Tonic+ Longevity. Same great natural gut quality as Babolat VS. Only difference is slightly less consistency in gauging. Exclusive Thermogut Technology Finishing increases durability (+25%) and resistance to humidity (+60%), according to Babolat.

Now packaged as Tonic+ Ball Feel. Same great natural gut quality as Babolat VS. Only differences are slightly less consistency in gauging and minor cosmetic blemishes. Exclusive Thermogut Technology Finishing increases durability (+25%) and resistance to humidity (+60%), according to Babolat. Excellent feel and control.

It would appear that Tonic is the club player version of Team. :)

roger nadal
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
vs all da way