PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and tennis

Ace
03-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Pregnancy and tennis....

keep playing? stop playing? discuss....

joebedford
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I hit with a woman once who was, um, very pregnant. :oops: Didn't seem to hinder her much, and the baby was born healthy.

jun
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
there was an article about that in Tennis Magzine a long time ago.

They said you must keep yourself hydrated, avoid times when sun is strongest.

I think they also said that you shouldn't play the last 3 months of your pregnancy

jayserinos99
03-29-2004, 11:24 PM
i've read that a pregnant woman can everything up until the start of the last trimester.

Cypo
03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Is it worth the risk ? I wouldn't do unnecessary jumping while pregnate.

AndyC
04-01-2004, 02:08 AM
I'd say it's safe enough to continue playing as long as you don't feel your balance impeded and risk falling over.

Up till 12-14 weeks the uterus is actually still in the pelvis and therefore is unlikely to come to any real harm even if u trip and fall.

From then on it starts to become abdominal and a blow to your tummy could potentially cause a miscarriage/trigger labour. In practice a one off tennis ball hitting the abdomen is unlikely to cause that.. it's more usual to be repeated blows or one very strong impact e.g. from a road traffic accident.

Of course at some point it's going to be big enough so that it alters the way you balance yourself. I'd definitely stop then. Depending on how big you are I would say up to 28-30 weeks after which u're probably not going to feel like u want to play tennis! :).

SB
05-28-2004, 07:34 AM
A lot depends on the individual. I quit at 12 weeks b/c of mental reasons, not physical. My timing was just a bit off, and that coupled with the raging hormones made me somewhat, uh, frustrated. To the point of racquet throwing. I thought it might be best to just stop.

A funny story: a good friend of mine never picked up a racquet until she was full term (not a good idea, but .....). She was more of a JOCK: basketball, softball, soccer, etc. She was antsy because she was so pregnant but couldn't DO anything. She figured she could hit some tennis balls, tennis being a sissy sport and all.

So, she gets out there with her husband, in her ninth month, and proceeds to lose her balance while chasing a ball, skid across the court on her stomach, and scrape up her knees and elbows something awful. She went into labor that night (surprise). The nurses were trying to figure out why she had large, fresh abrasions all over her knees -- why, from playing tennis, of course!

The story has a good ending; besides the baby being fine, my friend decided to take up tennis and is now a really good player.

Phil
05-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Is it worth the risk ? I wouldn't do unnecessary jumping while pregnate.

Yeah, by all means, pregnant women should not attempt the Pete Sampras "slam dunk overhead".

fjgarciap
06-08-2004, 06:19 PM
I met a couple that attended tennis lessons several years ago, she was on her 7th month pregnancy (first baby) and did it quite well. Same when she was waiting her 2nd baby.

As far as the doc says it's OK and you don't force yourself then it's OK.

coach
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
My wife (4.0 player) played 4 days before the birth of our first child 2 years ago with an 18 lb weight gain (baby was 7lb 13oz at birth). She is still playing now with new baby in utero at 2 weeks away with 19 lb wt gain.

she wears a belly-back supporter, and also gets two bounces on everything. She uses wise judgement and won't even run after some balls. Seems to be a source of pride with her, but swimming for her is the best exercise.

Phil
10-06-2004, 07:34 PM
My wife (4.0 player) played 4 days before the birth of our first child 2 years ago with an 18 lb weight gain (baby was 7lb 13oz at birth). She is still playing now with new baby in utero at 2 weeks away with 19 lb wt gain.

she wears a belly-back supporter, and also gets two bounces on everything. She uses wise judgement and won't even run after some balls. Seems to be a source of pride with her, but swimming for her is the best exercise.

That sounds a bit twisted to me. If you CAN'T play (i.e. "two bounce tennis), and you SHOULDN'T play (for the obvious reasons this late in a pregnancy), then DON'T play.

coach
10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Phil, unclench please. Not everyone is playing for Wimbledon and keeping score everytime they play. I hit 80% of my balls to within 5-10 feet of her either side, and she only needs the 2 bounce if I hit a very short ball to her, which is about once every 6-7 "points".

It's about fun and fitness, not about competing and hitting winners.

Phil
10-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Ahh...Coach? Hitting winners wasn't my point, but you seem to have missed my point. Read the post again, please.

perfmode
10-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Ahh...Coach? Hitting winners wasn't my point, but you seem to have missed my point. Read the post again, please.

How old are you?

equinox
07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
pregnant women can still play. Just need to be careful. once won a rubber from a retirement from pregnancy.

r2473
07-17-2009, 10:02 AM
pregnant women can still play. Just need to be careful. once won a rubber from a retirement from pregnancy.

Are you still talking about tennis?

LuckyR
07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Uummm... since the thread is from 2004 the OP's kid is now in kindergarten...

equinox
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Uummm... since the thread is from 2004 the OP's kid is now in kindergarten...

Wow you're right! how cool is that.
Guessing the kid is already NTRP 3.5 and probably could beat most of the forum.

CHOcobo
07-17-2009, 11:26 AM
it is good to get exercise while pregnant but not hardcore. i learned it in my health class. i learned a bunch of crap that was really useful but forgotten. haha.

07-20-2009, 03:59 AM
my wife stopped playing when she was about 7 months' along because she couldn't get her left arm far enough around her (large) belly to roate for a 2-handed BH. It became obvious by then.