PDA

View Full Version : Crosses break before Mains

wumanchu23
09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
In a hybrid setup with poly mains and synt. crosses, do the crosses snap before the mains often?

tbini87
09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
i am not a string breaker, so don't have any personal experience... but the few string breakers i know that use hybrids generally break their mains first. can't really make a generalization from a few people i know but take it for what it is worth. any reason that you really care?

the wise wizard
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
In a hybrid setup with poly mains and synt. crosses, do the crosses snap before the mains often?

yes in my experience the crosses break before the mains

r2473
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

I have the same setup. I cannot remember the last time I broke my crosses.

I break the mains pretty often (or just cut the strings out before they actually break).

tennisfreak15347
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
it depends on your setup and playing style. from what I've heard, hard polys will saw into soft syn gut/multi/gut crosses if you dont break your polys.

FloridaAG
09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
My NRG2 crosses always break before my poly Proline II mains - Since I have used this set up - I have never broken a main - and I break strings fairly often.

The poly generally goes dead and loses tension long before it would snap (and the crosses go first anyway)

mozzer
09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
The syn gut will break first in the cross

FloridaAG
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I really don't see how or why the poly mains would break before the softer synthetic crosses -

jmverdugo
09-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I use competition on the mains and PSGD on the crosses, and the mains always break first. I think it depends on how you hit. There is a thread with pictures of broken strings search for it, it is very interesting.

wumanchu23
09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what people mean by saying how I hit. My have always broke my mains first in full poly or full synt setups. Are CyberFlash considered hard polys, that's what I'm using. I haven't snapped my strings yet, but my guess is my crosses will go first...

TheRed
09-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Depends on the cross string and hitting style. I use the same exact set up as a friend of mine (ashaway monogut mains x fat core crosses) and he'll break the mains and I'll break the crosses. he hits hard, with heavy spin. I hit just as hard, but with heavier topspin so you can deduce what you want from that. If you use a multi with poly mains, then the crosses are almost guaranteed to break first.

2nd_Serve
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Generally, the crosses will break first. But there are those special few that break the mains.

persondudething
09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
i always break my cross. now, im sure it has to do with my current set up (klip scorcher mains, rip control crosses) but i would always break my crosses even when i didnt hybrid. i never figured out why i break my crosses, and everyone else breaks their mains.

ronalditop
09-20-2008, 07:34 PM
i just have break my string in the crosses.