PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

A.Davidson
09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi all!

I'm a high school tennis player and have college aspirations. I play an all-court game with a strong serve-and-volley element.

My racquet is a Prince Triple Threat Warrior Midsize Plus. Right now I'm using Prince Synthetic Gut strung at (I believe) around 58-60 pounds.

My question to you is this: for the type of player I am (two-handed backhand, not a ton of forehand topspin, lots of volleying, big serve), what brand and type of string would you suggest and why?

I'd prefer to hear about strings that you personally have used, and though I prefer synthetic (natural gut is quite expensive and a little bit out of my price range), please suggest a natural gut string if you feel THAT strongly about it.

Thanks!

tennisfever8181
09-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi all!

I'm a high school tennis player and have college aspirations. I play an all-court game with a strong serve-and-volley element.

My racquet is a Prince Triple Threat Warrior Midsize Plus. Right now I'm using Prince Synthetic Gut strung at (I believe) around 58-60 pounds.

My question to you is this: for the type of player I am (two-handed backhand, not a ton of forehand topspin, lots of volleying, big serve), what brand and type of string would you suggest and why?

I'd prefer to hear about strings that you personally have used, and though I prefer synthetic (natural gut is quite expensive and a little bit out of my price range), please suggest a natural gut string if you feel THAT strongly about it.

Thanks!

Do you break through your synthetic gut fast?

A.Davidson
09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
No, not often - I broke my strings a few times over the course of the season last year, and have broken them once since.

I do not hit the ball with a ton of topspin off the forehand wing, so that really reduces the amount of breakage I get.

Strings last for a remarkably long time when I hit with them.

Valjean
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
So why are you contemplating a change? If you use Prince's Original Synthetic Gut now, you have a very good s&v string. Just restring often, like you should.

A.Davidson
09-20-2008, 05:59 AM
I've just been wanting to get a little more pop on my groundies. I've had some back and knee trouble and am no longer as agile as I once was.

As my game transitions more toward a baseline style, I've been looking for a way to get extra zing on my groundstrokes.

Someone suggested Luxilon Big Banger ALU Rough 16L for the mains and Wilson Reaction 16 for the crosses...Both good strings. Could they work well together?

Valjean
09-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Somebody with physical problems at your level looking for power--but coming from synthetic gut too-- shouldn't even be thinking about polyester. You might try out a lower tension with 17 gauge POSG first, then a shift to Prince's new Synthetic Gut Multifilament, though.