PDA

View Full Version : buy nat gut now or wait til next season?

canadave
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm close to buying another racquet, which I would string with natural gut. I've never used nat. gut before. My question is: I'd probably only get one or two hits with it before my club's season ends. Should I wait until spring next year and the start of the next season to buy the racquet, in terms of the natural gut losing tension or wearing somehow if I ordered it now and had it sitting in my garage all winter?

Valjean
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I would...

StunLock
09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I'd buy now. If I'm really itchy to try something out, no way can I wait for a whole winter.

jim e
09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm close to buying another racquet, which I would string with natural gut. I've never used nat. gut before. My question is: I'd probably only get one or two hits with it before my club's season ends. Should I wait until spring next year and the start of the next season to buy the racquet, in terms of the natural gut losing tension or wearing somehow if I ordered it now and had it sitting in my garage all winter?

I would not let any new racquet sit in the garage, especially in the winter. It does not take up much space, I would keep it in a more regulated temp. enviroment. Just my thoughts.

canadave
09-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I would not let any new racquet sit in the garage, especially in the winter. It does not take up much space, I would keep it in a more regulated temp. enviroment. Just my thoughts.
Sorry, I should've specified that my garage is actually part of my home and kept at room temperature...I've converted it to a sort of office, and I keep my car outside :)

What I guess I'm really asking is, would a natural gut stringjob change significantly, in terms of life expectancy or tension loss, if it sits around from now until next spring without being used. If not, then I'll just order the racquet now.

bladepdb
09-19-2008, 05:22 PM
The gut will stay just fine in the racquet. I had regular syn gut in an older racquet for a good 8 or 9 months and it still played after that time. The only issue is by that the time the string played like crap, with very little control (since most of the tension had dissipated).

Gut will hold up, you'll probably find it really mushy and get lots of power off of the stringbed. The downside is you'll lose control.

It's typically recommended to restring in 3 months no matter what, so going by that I say hold off on it. 97% of the people of these forums would follow this and put off stringing it until next season. If you will need this racquet for your last few sessions, then yeah it's a necessity to string it, but if you don't, I would wait.

jim e
09-19-2008, 05:37 PM
^^^ he is correct, the strings will loose tension over time, but will still be playable, but may not be to your expectations. If not a necessity now, and you wont be hitting over the winter, I would wait till then.
A couple months ago, I pulled out an old woodie Tad and Davis racquet that I hit with in 1971, I strung it with Bow Brand gut back then. The racquet with those old strings still holding up, tension is somewhat low, but I won my match with it, 2 months ago, strings are 37 years old!.So to ans. your question the strings will still be playable, tension will be lost, with quality strings like that, it would be a waist to let it sit, not being used while the tension drops, but it still will be playable.

Nanshiki
09-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Put a sweater on and keep playing.

Keifers
09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
In a friendly environment, after it goes through its initial tension drop, nat gut is likely to suffer only very moderate tension loss over time -- especially if it isn't being used.

Might be good to guard against the gut drying out over the winter by applying a small amount of gut protectant, or baby oil.

b0oMeR
09-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Why not find an indoor place to play in? I live in toronto and there are plenty during the winter. In fact i live 5 minutes away from a tennis bubble thats covered during the winter/spring.

ultima972
09-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I use a syn/poly combo, but my brother uses nat gut and he's had his racquets for over 2 years. He only plays once a month, but the gut is holding up nicely, even after 2 years.

Valjean
09-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Sorry, I should've specified that my garage is actually part of my home and kept at room temperature...I've converted it to a sort of office, and I keep my car outside :)

What I guess I'm really asking is, would a natural gut stringjob change significantly, in terms of life expectancy or tension loss, if it sits around from now until next spring without being used. If not, then I'll just order the racquet now.
Gut can suddenly pop in your racquet; it doesn't have to, but it sometimes does. OTOH, it can't while it's on someone's shelf or wall, waiting to be put in, can it...

Richie Rich
09-20-2008, 06:24 AM
if you are dying to get a couple more hits in put a multi in and wait to string the gut next spring.

canadave
09-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Why not find an indoor place to play in? I live in toronto and there are plenty during the winter. In fact i live 5 minutes away from a tennis bubble thats covered during the winter/spring.
Heh....you Torontonians, always wondering why people don't stop complaining and just get [insert easily acquired item here]! :) (just teasing....I can relate, I used to live in New York City.)

I live on a beach in Nova Scotia that's about 90 minutes from Halifax, let alone an indoor court (I think there might be one there, but it's part of a private club). When you're many klicks from nowhere, things Torontoians take for granted become a lot harder to do....

For the rest of you--thanks muchly for the tips. I think I'm going to hold off, particularly as there might be a new version coming out of the racquet I had my eye on (the Dunlop Aerogel 100) at some point over the next few months.

Richie Rich
09-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Heh....you Torontonians, always wondering why people don't stop complaining and just get [insert easily acquired item here]! :) (just teasing....I can relate, I used to live in New York City.)

I live on a beach in Nova Scotia that's about 90 minutes from Halifax, let alone an indoor court (I think there might be one there, but it's part of a private club). When you're many klicks from nowhere, things Torontoians take for granted become a lot harder to do....

For the rest of you--thanks muchly for the tips. I think I'm going to hold off, particularly as there might be a new version coming out of the racquet I had my eye on (the Dunlop Aerogel 100) at some point over the next few months.

funny, i was going to recommend a bubble but then saw where you live and figured you wouldn't have access to winter tennis. i guess young uns don't take time to read :lol:

pow
09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't try a new string on a new racquet because then you would have a harder time recognizing what variable is affecting what property of the overall experience.

roger nadal
09-20-2008, 12:40 PM
just play at an indoor club then buy the string at the start of the season nat gut is so good

roger nadal
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
just play at an indoor club then buy the string at the start of the season nat gut is so awsom