PDA

View Full Version : payment of $100 for transportation to go to a match.

skittles
02-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Anyone else in other leagues experiencing this? we have to pay $100 for trsnaportation.Not like tennis isnt expensive enough... well its okay for me... but.. the jv guys also have to pay it and they dont even go to the away matches.. Thats ******** Are there any other leagues doing this, or is it just a few leagues?

Loud
02-05-2005, 08:12 AM
$100 for a single match? You flying there?

Craig Sheppard
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Think he's talking about $100 transporation fee for playing on the tennis team at his school. i.e. they're trying to get some of the students to pay to allieviate the costs of bussing their butts around to away matches.

skittles
02-05-2005, 12:34 PM
yah it sukz because thet administration wont even let us keep the skool vans in our own school anymore.

PHSTennis
02-05-2005, 05:23 PM
you know what... at my school even if I use my own car I still have to pay.. its kind of BS in a way...

Craig Sheppard
02-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Well if you guys feel punked then go tell your parents and officials that you want Proposition 13 overturned, you have that to thank for your *#itty California public schools. Yes elephants flame away...blah blah blah blah

tennisnj
02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
This hasn't reached the New Jersey public school tennis teams that I coach. Lets hope it doesn't, it's bad enough around here, most tennis teams are the lowest funded teams in districts (even lower then bowling teams). BTW it's also against school rules (almost universally in NJ) to allow students to travel to matches with their own cars; remember we're responsible for their safety b/c it is a 'school event.'

Craig Sheppard
02-06-2005, 07:18 AM
tennisnj, where do you coach in NJ? I grew up in South Jersey and played HS tennis and tournaments around the area...

tennisnj
02-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I coach in Bergen County, grew up here & actually coach the HS I played at. I think I should have grown up in S. Jersey, more tournaments & much better competition (overall). Although I did manage to draw Justin Gimelstob in a tournament when I was in HS. LOL.

Craig Sheppard
02-06-2005, 01:59 PM
hah! Justin's my age, but I grew up in Cumberland County (Pretty far from Livingston!)...everyone always mentioned his name but I never got up north that far to actually see him. I remember talk of a guy named Mike Sell out of the Moorestown area, but I never knew what became of him... I played a few tournaments around the Cherry Hill area, but never really took it seriously until after college. Probably a mistake but whadya know in high school anyway... heh

tennisnj
02-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah Justin's my age as well. Mike Sell was a former state champ, his sister was quite the player too, but much younger then him. He was a top 200 player on the ATP tour & @ one point about 4 years ago or so, was Monica Seles' hitting partner/part time coach. I never played in tournaments when I was younger outside of my area & I regret it now, because who wants to drive to Binghamton or Albany for ETA tournaments? That's the biggest problem w/tennis in my area, all sectional tournaments are in NY state.

baseliner
02-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Mike Sell accepted a full scholarship to U of Georgia and played as high as #2 singles if my memory serves me correct. Won a number of SEC championships and may have been on an NCAA team title, I just can't remember. I do remember watching him play.