PDA

View Full Version : Calf tear...?

adams_1
09-19-2008, 05:12 PM
On Wednesday I was playing footy at school when I got tackled... as you do. I'm not entirely sure if someone put their knee into the back of my leg or not, but when I got up and went to chase after the ball I immediately felt some really sharp pain in the back of my leg, just behind/below the knee.

Tried to keep playing, but I couldn't run. I later found that I couldn't really put my heel down and straighten my leg... so my walking is all messed up.

Yesterday I went to a doctor who told me i've probably torn my calf, and suggested I have an ultrasound when possible.

My question is - is it normal that I can put all my weight on the front of my foot without any pain? It seems a little odd to me.

DISCLAIMER: It's not that I don't believe my doctor, I just wanted to know if this was normal. Also, I know you aren't all doctors, and you can't actually see the leg etc. Just curious.

Rickson
09-20-2008, 03:06 PM
You might not necessarily have a tear, but it might be a bad muscle strain which is still less severe than a tear. Let's hope it's a strain and not a tear.

Bottle Rocket
09-20-2008, 03:43 PM
You might not necessarily have a tear, but it might be a bad muscle strain which is still less severe than a tear. Let's hope it's a strain and not a tear.

Isn't a muscle strain, by definition, a muscle tear?

What is the difference?

albino smurf
09-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Could just be a real bad Charlie Horse. I've had these before and they take a couple of days to get over. Sounds like a greta doctor BTW. How come he couldn't diagnose it for sure?

Rickson
09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
You have different degrees of strains and the worst degree is a tear. A mild strain can be considered an overstretch of the muscle or it can be a minute tear. Yeah, a severe strain is a tear.

Kick_It
09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I've ruptured my plantaris (near the calf) and had a grade 2 tear of my soleus. Neither were fun. I couldn't put my weight on my foot after the plantaris rupture - but I could with the soleus tear (which was the more severe of the two injuries). The soleus tear put me out of commission for 6+ months.

Wierd but true.

Did your doctor refer you to physical therapy for ultrasound? if so - that's what i'd do. Otherwise I'd ask him for a more specific diagnosis and action plan.

adams_1
09-20-2008, 11:23 PM

I was getting worried after seeing no improvement at all, but over the last couple of days it seems to have come a fair way. I can walk now. Still no running, of course. Fortunately I have 2 weeks of school holidays and no tennis, so I shouldn't miss anything.

Could just be a real bad Charlie Horse. I've had these before and they take a couple of days to get over. Sounds like a greta doctor BTW. How come he couldn't diagnose it for sure?

Certainly a possibility. First thing I thought of too. Doctor just gave me some anti-inflammatories and a RICE info sheet. Brilliant.

Did your doctor refer you to physical therapy for ultrasound? if so - that's what i'd do.

He did refer me to the ultrasound place, but they're closed until Monday unless its an emergency. I'm not sure if i'll bother. Always hard to get in.

heycal
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I've torn both calves from tennis. Not fun. Both times it felt like I'd been shot in the back of the leg, or that someone whacked me with their racket.

It's my understanding that there are degrees of calves tears, that some can only put you out of action for a couple of weeks, and some for several months. (In my case, my left calf was about 8 weeks of no tennis, my right about 12 weeks if i recall correctly.)