PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 93, 95 and 98sq Head size??

AndrewD
02-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Curious to know if, in terms of playability, people believe there to be a major difference between a racquet rated to have a 93sq head (pog midplus) and ones rated 95sq and then 98sq.

Is the sweetspot so much larger on the 95 and 98sq that choosing them over the 93sq is elementary?

Or, is the difference marginal?

I realise some frames in each bracket with have bigger sweetspots than the norm but for the sake of argument Im looking at a generalisation . My reason for asking is, Im curious about the pog midplus but wondered if Im losing out using its 93sq head instead of something of 95sq or 98sq. Does that 5sq make such a big difference?

Deuce
02-05-2005, 01:48 AM
"Does that 5sq make such a big difference?"

Absolutely not. If you know how to play tennis, then you know how to play tennis. If you know how to hit the ball, then you know how to hit the ball. Hell, I play with an 81 sq. in. racquet, and I don't mis-hit any more often than I did with a 93, 95, or 98 sq. in. frame.

Yes, some people are terrified of 'small headed' racquets like the Pro Staff 6.0 - these people have somehow had it drilled into their heads that only a 'god' can play with an 85 sq. in. head. A total load of BS. If these people ever actually hit with an 85 sq. in. racquet - which they avoid -, they would be amazed that they can still contact the ball just as consistently as with their larger headed frame.

Another advantage of smaller headed racquets is that they are generally more maneuverable than anything larger.

By the way - this thread should be in the racquets section. It would get more attention there, as well.

AndrewD
02-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Yep, thanks Deuce. My mistake, I don't usually post in this section so did it by mistake. Might have to repost it there.

BLiND
02-05-2005, 03:47 AM
I didn't find much of a difference between 93" & 95", but found a big difference between 95" & 98".

AndrewD
02-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Can you elaborate on that at all Blind?

Was it just in the amount of power you got or in the overall playability of the frame?

degreefanlindi
02-05-2005, 05:39 AM
I definitely think there is a misconception in tennis about head size and performance....if you are talented player, you should be able to use any size really. In the past, smaller head sizes were used and the players were not as powerful, but today's stars seem to be under the impression "the bigger the better". I find I have more control with a medium to small sized head.....95-98 inches work well for me...once I get over 100, I find my control lacks.

pchoi04
02-05-2005, 08:18 AM
I usually like to play with racquets with smaller heads. I dunno I just like mid size racquets.

PrestigeClassic
02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
There's a huge difference. First of all, 93 and 98 are usually on Head and Völkl, while Wilson uses 95. Even among the same manufacturer's or even the same model's 93 and 98, there's a huge difference. Among Head and Wilson, the differences in head shapes are much more important than a few square inches. Your Prince also looks to have a unque head shape, and if you tend to hit the ball where the head is the largest (good), or where it's the smallest (bad), then that's another factor.