PDA

View Full Version : Questions re Lux ALU Power Rough

Doulers
09-20-2008, 08:35 AM
What happens if you string the entire stringbed with Lux ALU Rough at a really low tension, like between 50 to say 53 pounds? Will that prevent any elbow, wrist, or shoulder discomfort if you have had such issues with Lux ALU Rough before even when it was in a hybrid with natural gut?

I have tried Wilson's Champion's choice a couple of times and strung it with the Lux rough in the crosses and the gut in the mains, both at 59 pounds. This combination did not bother my elbow, wrist, or shoulder and I liked the way it hit. However, the durability was not great with the gut in the mains. So I tried reversing it with the Lux in the mains at 58 pounds and the gut in the crosses at 60 pounds. After hitting maybe ten hours with the strings that way, I began to feel discomfort in the elbow and wrist. Maybe I had the Lux too tight. However, I really liked the way it hit with the Lux in the mains and the gut in the crosses. They say that whatever string you put in the mains, your racquet will have more of that strings characteristics. I am somewhat reluctant to use ALU rough with with a hybrid with natural gut in the crosses both at a low tension because it may make it too lively and hard to control. So I was thinking of stringing the entire stringbed with Lux ALU Rough at a really low tension. Although I was wondering how that may effect tension maintenance, control, etc. and if it eliminates any arm discomfort. any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. thanks.

Nanshiki
09-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, you had the poly too tight.

You're supposed to drop it 10% or so, and 10% of 58 pounds is 5.8 pounds, so you should have been at like 52.2 pounds, although some pros drop it up to 10 pounds when they changed to polys...

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 09:29 AM
^^^ agreed; youre supposed to string poly's 5-10% looser tension. If you strung your natural gut at 60 lbs, regardless of it being mains or crosses, you need to string your poly's at 55-56

*edit* so your current set-up should be Luxilon mains at 55 lbs, and Natural gut crosses at 60 lbs.